SONY FX3 new camera to be announced

Trankilstef

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/24/2021 at 2:09 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Bildschirmfoto-2021-02-23-um-10.43.04.png

This is a great thing! Especially when you're working on very disorganized reality tv shows like I was today (or when you're working productions which are trying to be "stealthy" and/or catching the subject off guard), because then I (who is manning the audio mixer) will be always able to tell at a glance if the cam op is rolling or cut. 

On 2/24/2021 at 4:49 AM, Trankilstef said:

So this is the CINEMA camera we've all waited for ! Shutter angle, 4K DCI, timecode,  anamorphic modes, synchro scan, who cares about those shitty features when we have 18 tally lights around the body and that incredible grey color reminiscent of the Sony cinema line ! Oh and it says Cinema Line on the body itself, this is a testimony that this camera can actually be used to shoot real cinematic movies !
Waiting for the Netflix approval now !

Oh dear marketing people are well paid I hope. This camera is total BS.

NO TIMECODE!!!

There is exactly ZERO chance that this will get Netflix Approval in the current form. 

On 2/24/2021 at 4:59 AM, Llaasseerr said:

Welp, it's a very sexy design with Sigma FP vibes, but I'm really surprised it does not have true 24P and shutter angle control at minimum. It does not seem like it's truly compatible right now as a B or C cam with another Sony Cinema cam. And of course I was hoping they would add TC in.

I do think there is bandwidth for further features to be added due to the active cooling. So maybe that is Sony's play here, and we will see some divergence from the a7sIII in the future. But we'll have to see.

At this point I would definitely still look at the FX6 over this camera though.

Timecode & eND alone make the FX6 worthwhile instead for any professional, at a cost of "only 50% more".

On 2/24/2021 at 5:11 AM, Llaasseerr said:

I had a workaround in mind with the a7sIII where if you recorded external raw to a Ninja V you could use the AtomX Sync module for TC in - but I haven't tried it.

That won't cut it at all for Netflix commissioned projects. 

On 2/24/2021 at 7:50 AM, Trankilstef said:

What annoys me the most is how some youtbers in those reviews are already saying how this camera is the best mirrorless option for serious filmmaking. Cinema camera my ass ! The S1H is still the king of professional video centric mirrorless ! It has everything that this Sony FX3 doesn't have as a proper cinema camera :
- 4K DCI (even 6K)
- Anamorphic modes
- Shutter angle
- Synchro Scan
- Possibility to import Luts in camera
- waveform, etc.
How those "reviewers" could forget how much the S1H is more suited to professional video shootings than this FX3 !

On 2/24/2021 at 7:53 AM, Trankilstef said:

I am not disapointed at all that I've bought an A7sIII 3 weeks ago. I am happy to have the EVF, and I don't feel that I have something missing compared to the FX3 for my needs.

But if the Panasonic S1H is so much better, why did you get the Sony a7Smk3 instead??

On 2/24/2021 at 3:58 PM, EphraimP said:

I'd say that's a bit of an overstatement. You may not need any of this year's new offerings, or last years. But you have no idea what other professionals are shooting on, or what equipment will make their jobs easier or what will help them book more jobs or sell more productions or help them boost their rates.

If you don't like the way the market's trending, awesome! Vote with your wallet. I won't be getting an FX3, or a A7SIII for that matter, or an FX6, a Pocket 6K Pro, or an R5 or an R6. But I'm not going to pretend that just because these cameras, or Panasonics offerings or any number of other cameras out there don't work for me, are not the right camera for someone else.

The whole idea of individual shooters determining what other people need is quite silly. Yes, the market might offer a whole lot of choices a whole lot more quickly than it did in the past. Some of it is pure marketing, as the FX3 seems to be. But a fair amount of it is due to more rapid technical innovation, some of it is due to market disruptors like BMD and the new breed of Chinese cine camera companies forcing the big dogs to compete on price and features. And some of it is camera companies scrambling to see what features and body styles will get a shrinking market excited.

In the end, we actually benefit from these new releases, if we're smart enough to weigh the options carefully and only buy what we as individual shooters need and can swing. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Absolutely. 

The new Sony FX series is going to be bought by people, and will prove to be popular as there are people out there who want them. 

The tv series I was working on today had the vast majority of the cameras being FX9 or FX6! (with a few other Sonys thrown in there, like the Sony F5)

How many FX cameras in total? I didn't even try to count. But just in the sound department (and we're way in the minority compared to the size of the camera crew! Of course, as is always normal) we have five of us. 

And that's just on this one shoot. 

On 2/23/2021 at 8:09 PM, androidlad said:

There will be several major firmware updates for FX3 to differentiate it from A7S III. They are not made available at launch partly because Sony do not intend to cut into A7S III sales too much.

Interesting. Like what? 

Another question, is "focus mag" available when shooting?

16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

NO TIMECODE!!!

There is exactly ZERO chance that this will get Netflix Approval in the current form. 

Timecode & eND alone make the FX6 worthwhile instead for any professional, at a cost of "only 50% more".

That won't cut it at all for Netflix commissioned projects. 

Lol fuck Netflix.

But yeah, it is a major pain that this camera has no TC in. Using the Atomos as a workaround is nowhere near as easy. I actually only just realised you can't jam sync with the AtomX Sync module, I thought it had a TC-in. It seems it can only be used as a master and then send a signal over Bluetooth. Way too many things could go wrong on a set.

EDIT: obviously there is a lock-in to using the UltraSync Blue (owned by Atomos) with this Bluetooth approach, plus maybe a handful of other devices that allow TC over Bluetooth - the new Zoom F2-BT? I'm unclear on that.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:23 PM, IronFilm said:

This is a great thing! Especially when you're working on very disorganized reality tv shows like I was today (or when you're working productions which are trying to be "stealthy" and/or catching the subject off guard), because then I (who is manning the audio mixer) will be always able to tell at a glance if the cam op is rolling or cut. 

Unless you work professionally in the industry, it's hard to get excited about this camera as the tech specs are similar to the A7SIII.

Features that make your job easier and a camera easier to work with/ more reliable are overlooked by most people.

Internal Fan: woohoo what a boring feature for most people but this makes the camera a far more reliable tool professionally.

XLR inputs: Not sure how this isn't seen as a huge plus over the A7SIII.

Tally lamps: again for most here its not a selling point but professionally very welcome.

I would pay the price difference for theses features every day of the week. At the same time, I wish it had internal ND and TC support.

21 hours ago, Django said:

S1H has 29.7ms RS in 6K and 24.2ms in FF 4K which actually places it around 1DC (25ms) & A7S (24ms). 

Definitely poor RS performance by 2021 standards.

The S1 is better for some reason. 24ms in 5.9k 29p and 21ms at 4k 29p. 

Pretty much average for the sensor it uses. Obviously behind compared to Sony's latest stuff although its likely better than the Canon r6. 

@TomTheDP Canon R6 uses 1DX3 sensor and hence has abysmal RS in 4K25p (30ms) switching to 4k60p halves the count down to 15ms though, so for fast action better to shoot in that mode on that camera. R5 has much better RS performance.

A7S3/FX3 are the FF mirrorless kings with a whopping low 8.7ms in 4K25p. This alone places them way ahead of the curve for fast movement shots.

FX3 is growing on me, seems like a superb camera for stealthy run & gun.

31 minutes ago, Django said:

FX3 is growing on me, seems like a superb camera for stealthy run & gun.

For sure. I sold my barely used a7siii, at a 1k loss nonetheless, and preordered the more expensive FX3, planning to pair it with what looks like a superb compact zoom in the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8.

I’m daft and economically irresponsible like that, but there’s something appealing in the size and shape of the body of the FX3, the active cooling and what I hope and imagine is a little more robust build (I never liked the a7-bodies and I only care for evf:s when it comes to photography).

On 2/27/2021 at 9:26 AM, Django said:

S1H has 29.7ms RS in 6K and 24.2ms in FF 4K which actually places it around 1DC (25ms) & A7S (24ms). 

Definitely poor RS performance by 2021 standards.

It became faster with firmware 2.0. Check the S5 readings.

Still has the best usable dynamic range though only beaten by the RED Komodo in the sub $10,000 class. FX3 and A7s3 are quite weak in that regard.

1 hour ago, Simon Young said:

For sure. I sold my barely used a7siii, at a 1k loss nonetheless, and preordered the more expensive FX3, planning to pair it with what looks like a superb compact zoom in the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8.

I’m daft and economically irresponsible like that, but there’s something appealing in the size and shape of the body of the FX3, the active cooling and what I hope and imagine is a little more robust build (I never liked the a7-bodies and I only care for evf:s when it comes to photography).

Damn someone got a sweet deal on an A7S3!! I agree though, I severely dislike Alpha bodies and rarely if ever use EVF for video. FX3 is the first Sony mirrorless hybrid that doesn’t look/feel like consumer grade photo camera. The active cooling is probably the most significant addition on such small high performance cameras. If Sony indeed adds a few missing cine features like DCI, scopes etc FX3 could be a bombshell!

17 minutes ago, Django said:

Damn someone got a sweet deal on an A7S3!!

Haha yeah someone definitely profited from my stupidity. I really hope they’ll add some pro cine features via firmware down the line but I’m not holding my breath. The option to turn off noise reduction should have been there from the start though. 

2 hours ago, Simon Young said:

Haha yeah someone definitely profited from my stupidity. I really hope they’ll add some pro cine features via firmware down the line but I’m not holding my breath. The option to turn off noise reduction should have been there from the start though. 

I think you can if u film raw full control also 12bit converted from 16bit problem solved ?