SONY FX3 new camera to be announced

Trankilstef

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Why I rarely watch YouTube pieces such as the one linked above.  It tells me little and it's primary purpose is to sell the camera for the manufacturer, and increase subscribers and viewers for the vlogger.  Even the useful ones that tell me something tend to make me cringe with their same 'what's up Guys' style.

Yeah, I'm over Matti and Peter and that whole crew of YouTube influencers with their increasingly worthless camera "reviews" and their endless blogs about their hipster lifestyles. Back in the day they actually posted useful videos about shooting and editing techniques, plus their shtick was new and interesting at that point and not totally played out. 0f course, I've come to learn that some of their tips, like how to conform 60p footage to a 23.976 timeline were ass backwards and causing problems with a proxy workflow. 

Gerald Undone, on the hand, is still pretty good on his reviews. I did watch his review of the FX3, and it's pretty spot on. It hits a lot of the same points as folks on this thread have brought up, including that the biggest real differences between in at the A7SIII are the tally lights, lack of viewfinder, button changeups and the handle with integrated XLR module. He makes a great point that if you are a video first shooter who doesn't really care about the EVF and does care about XLR mics, than the FX3 is a bit cheaper than the SIII and an XLR module. Other than that, it's pretty much the same princess in a different dress.

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

There will be several major firmware updates for FX3 to differentiate it from A7S III. They are not made available at launch partly because Sony do not intend to cut into A7S III sales too much.

Can't agree more. This is one to watch. A bit disappointing they didn't roll it out with true 24P though.

1 hour ago, Trankilstef said:

I am not disapointed at all that I've bought an A7sIII 3 weeks ago. I am happy to have the EVF, and I don't feel that I have something missing compared to the FX3 for my needs.

Good to hear Stef. It seems Sony held back on some cine features we were all expecting on this FX3, probably to not cannibalise A7S3 too much. The S-Cinetone firmware "leak" for A7S3 seems to confirm this strategy. Typical from Sony, I just find it a little too sneaky..

1 hour ago, EphraimP said:

Yeah, I'm over Matti and Peter and that whole crew of YouTube influencers with their increasingly worthless camera "reviews" and their endless blogs about their hipster lifestyles.

They are lifestyle channels now. I swear all of Matti's camera "reviews" are the same video. They all follow a script and marketing material with nothing added except their lifestyle stuff.

1 hour ago, EphraimP said:

Gerald Undone, on the hand, is still pretty good on his reviews.

Yes, Gerald at least is still releasing quality information about products without unnecessary hype, most of the time.

1 minute ago, Video Hummus said:

Simple answer, because Panasonic didn't send them a bunch of stuff and a free camera to review and return.

Really Panasonic is so frustrating. They would have fixed the shitty AF and makes real marketing strategies, they would own the video mirrorless market right now. But they don't want to change their DFD focusing tech and they are so lame at marketing themselves and their products. My S1H was a true workhorse and so close to a perfect camera. But I really felt the need for a reliable AF even though I am used to manual focus. it just makes life easier now that I switched to Sony a7SIII. 
Panasonic should really wake up.

2 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Really Panasonic is so frustrating. They would have fixed the shitty AF and makes real marketing strategies, they would own the video mirrorless market right now. But they don't want to change their DFD focusing tech and they are so lame at marketing themselves and their products. My S1H was a true workhorse and so close to a perfect camera. But I really felt the need for a reliable AF even though I am used to manual focus. it just makes life easier now that I switched to Sony a7SIII. 

I believe part of Panasonics woes is this exact problem. The Sony juggernaut marketing machine is now eroding the classic word of mouth professional back-channel chatter. At the tip of Sony's Marketing spear is YouTube.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

"I just don’t see this lazy excuse of a camera being anything other than a way to absolutely maximise profit margins."

I wonder if this will pretty much be what we should expect from all manufacturers for the foreseeable future, considering how the camera market is globally tanking.

Everyones been doing this Fuji, Panasonic, Sony, less so Nikon. 

Doesn't really matter though good releases are sprinkled in here and there. 

3 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

The S1H still has the best image of any camera under $10k, in my opinion. And I've used a lot of them. They need to put out an EVA-2 and S2H (or S5H) asap with update AF and they'll be good. I will probably use Panasonic cameras in the future for IQ alone, but AF, 120fps 4k, and a few other of the new bells and whistles are very useful in cameras like the C70, FX6, and this FX3. I'm still not sure Sony has fixed their color and IQ issues fully and their WB seems to be way off - but I'd like to test. FX3 would be excellent if the A7sIII didn't exist, and frankly, the A7sIII shouldn't exist, not the other way around. 

10 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I do worry the pace of such releases is going to be fewer and farther between.

This constant release of new cameras is kind of a new thing. It used to be much more common for people to shoot with the same camera for 10 years. It’s all GAS anyways, no one actually needs any of this new gear. 

10 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

This constant release of new cameras is kind of a new thing. It used to be much more common for people to shoot with the same camera for 10 years. It’s all GAS anyways, no one actually needs any of this new gear. 

True that.  Which is yet another reason the significant releases are likely to diminish.  For instance, I'm a guy that sold a GH5 and acquired an EM10III.

1 hour ago, TomTheDP said:

I'd say that's a bit of an overstatement. You may not need any of this year's new offerings, or last years. But you have no idea what other professionals are shooting on, or what equipment will make their jobs easier or what will help them book more jobs or sell more productions or help them boost their rates.

If you don't like the way the market's trending, awesome! Vote with your wallet. I won't be getting an FX3, or a A7SIII for that matter, or an FX6, a Pocket 6K Pro, or an R5 or an R6. But I'm not going to pretend that just because these cameras, or Panasonics offerings or any number of other cameras out there don't work for me, are not the right camera for someone else.

The whole idea of individual shooters determining what other people need is quite silly. Yes, the market might offer a whole lot of choices a whole lot more quickly than it did in the past. Some of it is pure marketing, as the FX3 seems to be. But a fair amount of it is due to more rapid technical innovation, some of it is due to market disruptors like BMD and the new breed of Chinese cine camera companies forcing the big dogs to compete on price and features. And some of it is camera companies scrambling to see what features and body styles will get a shrinking market excited.

In the end, we actually benefit from these new releases, if we're smart enough to weigh the options carefully and only buy what we as individual shooters need and can swing. That's the way I see it, anyway.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:38 PM, MrSMW said:

I'm going off the idea...

I've sat myself down and had a word, mostly from a financial viewpoint.

Saw a really good YouTube yesterday by Roman Fox, a Fuji user from London and it rang some bells, the summary of which was; stop, write a list of your needs, what you have, what you are looking at, pros/cons/costs etc.

I did just that today and realised that to move to this as the core of a Sony system over a Panny S5 one, I'd be looking at spending at least 5k more.

In these times... nah.

If I do anything beyond 2x S5 bodies, it will be a single S5 body (have) and a used S1H.

You should consider a used S1 body and a used S1H.  I had the S5, and as beautiful as the footage is, having limited internal 10-bit 4K recording ended up biting me in the ass on the first job I used it on. I traded it for a used S1 after Panasonic announced the S1 getting 5.9K support and timecode (hopefully over the PC Sync port, so I can sync my S1H with the S1). Same batteries, and mostly the same media. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll add ProRes RAW support to the Ninja V. It's nice to have the ProRes RAW option, but to be honest, I only used it twice with my S1H and I could have done the job just as good with straight 10-bit V-Log. Where the ProRes RAW shines is in the 5.9K capture, as it's miles better than Panasonic's H.265 codec. Hundreds of miles!