SONY FX3 new camera to be announced

Trankilstef

8 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes, and they sent him a bunch of swag in a pelican case to "sweeten" the review. How is that not payment? They have to disclose that Sony didn't sponsor them or have control over the review in anyway, yet they send him all this crap as an implicit: "look at what you won't get if we don't like your review".

Everybody knows if piss these companies off they won't include you in their YouTube marketing and you won't get free shit.

Why I rarely watch YouTube pieces such as the one linked above.  It tells me little and it's primary purpose is to sell the camera for the manufacturer, and increase subscribers and viewers for the vlogger.  Even the useful ones that tell me something tend to make me cringe with their same 'what's up Guys' style.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So basically a rehoused A7SIII with tally lamps, active cooling, a top handle and S-Cinetone (which is coming to A7SIII in the next firmware). Such a lazy move from Sony and honestly not worthy of the "FX" moniker. That said, for $400 extra it kind of makes the A7SIII obsolete already no? I'd be heated (no pun intended) if I just got one. See ya in couple months for the FX4.

38 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

So what's the general feeling? The 4 rec lights and grey body not worth it? Is it a pointless camera or is there something I've missed?

nothing different from a7s3 (I was expecting atleast DCI and Anamorphic, but none of that) and $400 more... I mean.... if you feel that the exterior fluff is important to warrant additional $400... get it!

6 minutes ago, Django said:

So basically a rehoused A7SIII with tally lamps, active cooling, a top handle and S-Cinetone (which is coming to A7SIII in the next firmware). Such a lazy move from Sony and honestly not worthy of the "FX" moniker. That said, for $400 extra it kind of makes the A7SIII obsolete already no? I'd be heated (no pun intended) if I just got one. See ya in couple months for the FX4.

I wouldn't think it makes the A7S3 obsolete because its more expensive and doesn't have weather proofing which is more valuable to most people I would think. 

Sony does this shit a lot with their lower end A6 cameras. The A6100, A6300, A6400, A6600, A6500 which are all almost the same cameras. 

Unfortunate they are trying to pull that BS with their higher end stuff. Really lame release. 

The top handle and audio module is awesome but I assume you could just attach it to the A7S3. I like that they are recognizing smaller cameras in their cine line up though, I guess that's cool. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes, and they sent him a bunch of swag in a pelican case to "sweeten" the review. How is that not payment? They have to disclose that Sony didn't sponsor them or have control over the review in anyway, yet they send him all this crap as an implicit: "look at what you won't get if we don't like your review".

Everybody knows if piss these companies off they won't include you in their YouTube marketing and you won't get free shit.

Yeah, it is a form of payment and it is time to call it what it is. Pure marketing video masquerading as a user review.

I really do wish the FCC and others would clamp down on all this illegality.

Maybe if it's not technically illegal, legal only for vestigial reasons.

9 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

I wouldn't think it makes the A7S3 obsolete because its more expensive and doesn't have weather proofing which is more valuable to most people I would think. 

According to Gerald the active cooling doesn't compromise the sealing. 

Personally I'd pick the FX3 over the A7S3. $400 isn't that much extra for all the ergonomic enhancements, active cooling & top handle. Still a lazy dick move from Sony, spitting all over those who just forked out for A7S3.

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

Why I rarely watch YouTube pieces such as the one linked above.  It tells me little and it's primary purpose is to sell the camera for the manufacturer, and increase subscribers and viewers for the vlogger.  Even the useful ones that tell me something tend to make me cringe with their same 'what's up Guys' style.

Yeah I didn't even watch the "review" I posted above, those guys makes me sick. 

What annoys me the most is how some youtbers in those reviews are already saying how this camera is the best mirrorless option for serious filmmaking. Cinema camera my ass ! The S1H is still the king of professional video centric mirrorless ! It has everything that this Sony FX3 doesn't have as a proper cinema camera :
- 4K DCI (even 6K)
- Anamorphic modes
- Shutter angle
- Synchro Scan
- Possibility to import Luts in camera
- waveform, etc.
How those "reviewers" could forget how much the S1H is more suited to professional video shootings than this FX3 !

1 hour ago, Django said:

I am not disapointed at all that I've bought an A7sIII 3 weeks ago. I am happy to have the EVF, and I don't feel that I have something missing compared to the FX3 for my needs.

15 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

With a crop.

How would you ever stabilise in post without crop?

This basically has the SteadXP built in. Something all camera's could do with, and Blackmagic previously suggested would come for their cameras, but so far never has. Maybe now it'll start to become a standard.

I mean it's clearly lazy but it makes sense for them to target those that just refuse to use traditional hybrid cameras. As dumb as it sounds there will be more people willing to use this over the A7siii as their b-cam even if they're essentially the same thing. 

It's just very disappointing that they didn't bother to beef it up more. It's something I'd expect out of Canon. 

8 minutes ago, androidlad said:

There will be several major firmware updates for FX3 to differentiate it from A7S III. They are not made available at launch partly because Sony do not intend to cut into A7S III sales too much.

if that is true i may be interested in it to complement my A7SIII, but they really need to includes all the cinema things I listed above (shutter angle, synchro scan, 4k dci and waveform).

1 hour ago, Django said:

According to Gerald the active cooling doesn't compromise the sealing. 

Personally I'd pick the FX3 over the A7S3. $400 isn't that much extra for all the ergonomic enhancements, active cooling & top handle. Still a lazy dick move from Sony, spitting all over those who just forked out for A7S3.

I don't know. The EVF is an upside for a lot of people. Its not as big a smack as Panasonic putting out the S5 and giving a firmware update to the S1 to basically make it an S1H, imho