SONY FX3 new camera to be announced

Trankilstef

12 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

Sony's IBIS at least on the A7S3 is actually really good. Panasonic goes the route of making the footage super stable but at the cost of weird warping if there is too much movement or if the lens is too wide. Fuji has those issues but a lot worse. 

I've been shooting on an X-T4 with IBIS a fair bit, and think I've figured out how you are supposed to use it. The X-T4 ISIB warp is only really bad if you are using Boost mode and moving the camera. If you turn boost off, you can do more of a pan or a title moving the camera on one axis. 

It's good to hear that the S3's IBIS is good. It's probably like the T4 in non-Boost mode, I would guess. I should get together with my buddy who shoots on the S3 and do some side-by-side tests. We'll see if that happens.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

I've been shooting on an X-T4 with IBIS a fair bit, and think I've figured out how you are supposed to use it. The X-T4 ISIB warp is only really bad if you are using Boost mode and moving the camera. If you turn boost off, you can do more of a pan or a title moving the camera on one axis. 

In fact, I was in a Zoom Fuji meeting yesterday (the subject was the X-S10) and they said that Boost mode must be used only with static shots - it is designed to be tripod-steady. If you do some pans or movements, the Boost mode will "fight" and have jerky behaviour.

20 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

In fact, I was in a Zoom Fuji meeting yesterday (the subject was the X-S10) and they said that Boost mode must be used only with static shots - it is designed to be tripod-steady. If you do some pans or movements, the Boost mode will "fight" and have jerky behaviour.

Exactly. It says so in the menu system. I think some people didn't figure that out at first and thought that boost mode would make their moving shots even smoother than normal mode, so go that terrible jerky movement instead.

45 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The S1 and S1H are the same. I just had it programmed to one of the front assignable buttons and turned it on whenever I wanted a tripod-like shot while hand holding the camera. It worked amazingly well, honestly and is game changer for getting doc-style b-roll around a city or place. You can just carry that and a 24-70/105 and gets tons of a variety. 

2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Sony IBIS is much less stable looking but it can handle a lot more movement without looking odd.

Yes to me it is less effective at stabilizing but as ther is no warp and jello effects it is more natural and with some used to it, I'm sure it can be very useful.
I was thinking I would miss the Panasonic IBIS quite much than that actually. After my first tests I'm a lot more confident. It's just different, more natural.

2 hours ago, currensheldon said:

The S1 and S1H are the same. I just had it programmed to one of the front assignable buttons and turned it on whenever I wanted a tripod-like shot while hand holding the camera. It worked amazingly well, honestly and is game changer for getting doc-style b-roll around a city or place. You can just carry that and a 24-70/105 and gets tons of a variety. 

I have my T4 programed the same, with the front bottom below the shutter button and dial programmed to switch between IBIS mode. If I remember mode I have turned on when I start to shoot it's great. My 18-55 F2.8/4 lives on it, so that's about 27-82 mm with added IOS stabilization.

14 hours ago, MrSMW said:

No they wouldn’t. I would, but they definitely would not know or care.

It or similar (XT3 though) may well be an option and it will come down to timing.

The latest and greatest may be an option but only if it makes sense at any given time.

"No they wouldn’t"

Perhaps don't buy the latest and greatest then, buy last generation, which is still GREAT STUFF! And then put all that spare cash elsewhere, where it will make a real difference. 

On 2/11/2021 at 11:11 PM, Thpriest said:

And I suppose if the camera records the gyro info like the A7c and A7Siii then do we need IBIS?

You need IBIS if you want smooth footage from a 180 shutter.

IBIS / OIS stabilises the camera DURING the exposure, EIS stabilises AFTER the exposures have been made.

Imagine doing a jittery pan at night.  

With no stabilisation at all you will have a sequence of frames that aren't all aligned horizontally, and in each frame you will have motion blur that goes left to right with some little wiggles in it.

If you had IBIS / OIS on then you will have a sequence of frames that are all aligned horizontally, and in each frame you will have motion blur that goes left to right without any up and down wiggles in it.

If you used EIS only you will have a sequence of frames that are all aligned horizontally, but in each frame you will have motion blur that goes left to right with some little wiggles in it.

EIS is spectacular for action cameras because they use SS to expose and so in good lighting have basically no motion blur, but as soon as you have motion blur at all then IBIS or OIS becomes necessary for properly smoothed motion.

Electronic ND, Dual Gain Output (simultaneous ARRI-style,) and Full-Frame open gate video would have me buying this camera almost for certain. I agree with many it needs E-ND to set it apart from their other offerings, and IMO DGO is very quickly going to become the new flagship “flavor-of-the-month” (FINALLY we might get some dynamic range competition instead of this pointless hyper resolution!) It’s high time for CMOS to break through that ~12-13 stop ceiling. 

And full frame open gate video? It’s just really aggravating to have a nice big sensor but be unable to utilize it fully. Some of us shoot scope! Some want some re-frame options! Some shoot for squarer social media aspect ratios... Just put the dang mode in there for crying out loud, it’s not like that forces anyone into using it.

21 hours ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

It’s just really aggravating to have a nice big sensor but be unable to utilize it fully.

This statement is behind every piece of frustration that basically anyone has ever had about the files a camera delivers.

Unless the camera can write a RAW stream in every mode that the sensor supports, then that's the entire problem.  You're frustrated by lack of open-gate functions in FF cameras, I'm frustrated with my sub-$100 action camera that applies dreadful sharpening and NR to its 2MP sensor and then writes the files in abysmal quality 15Mbps h264, the P2K became a cult camera for writing RAW 1080p internally, the GH5 got hype for the 5K open-gate modes and 4K 400Mbps ALL-I modes, the P4K got hype for RAW 4K60 internally, ML has people voiding their warranties on cameras to get higher quality video to the card, etc etc.

Taking the image from the sensor and not stomping on it before writing it to the SD card is basically the only thing we care about and talk about.

Ok I don't really see the value of this camera if the specs are genuinely confirmed as of now : it seems to be basically a Sony a7SIII in a different body.
So no ND, same 3:2 screen on a video dedicated camera, etc. Despite the fan to prevent overheating and the EVF missing, it seems to be the same. 
What's the reason for buying this model over the A7sIII? For now I don't know.
My initial excitement is going down after each rumor update.

I love the look of it and it's compactness. My ideal previously was something like the Sigma FP.

The A7Siii ticked every box for me except 12mp was not ideal for me from a stills POV. Not a deal-breaker, but I'd prefer 20-30mp.

The lack of an internal ND if that is true would be the biggest disappointment.

There still isn't anything that exists that makes me see past my S5, the only criticism being ultimate AF capability.

The only thing that looks wrong to my eyes is the distance of the grip to the lens. The pics/vids don't show the thing with a lens but just looking at it you can see how tight it's going to be. Could be an issue for hand use...

I had a sneaky suspicion it was going to be a rehoused A7SIII. The shutter release was an obvious tell. It's definitely a lazy move from Sony. That said, if I were in the market for an A7SIII I just might get the FX3 instead. I'll take a fan over an EVF as well as the mounting options. Hopefully they do give it at the very least S-cinetone..

6 minutes ago, Django said:

I had a sneaky suspicion it was going to be a rehoused A7SIII. The shutter release was an obvious tell. It's definitely a lazy move from Sony. That said, if I were in the market for an A7SIII I just might get the FX3 instead. I'll take a fan over an EVF as well as the mounting options. Hopefully they do give it at the very least S-cinetone..

That's the last video posted here was saying. 

An A7SIII "drone edition" 

3 hours ago, Django said:

It does seem a tad strange. unless the guy above is wrong and it has internal variable ND - then the camera instantly becomes very, very intriguing, especially if the IBIS rumor is true. But Sony has said before that having both IBIS and ND is nearly impossible, so I'd guess it will be one or the other.

However, I'd say the A7sIII is the lazy inclusion if the FX3 is true because this, IMO, is a way more thought-out and useful video camera than the A7sIII. Love the dedicated buttons for WB, ISO, etc. Love the mounting points. Love how they did the top handle. Love that it is cinema focused and probably has the same color and S-Cinetone like the FX6. Love that it looks like the screen can tilt while staying center to the body. Love that it has focus magnification (does the A7sIII do this while recording?). I just love it.

I've shat on Sony for many years because I did think the color and IQ of the A7sII, FS5, and (to less of a degree) FS7 was way behind the competition. BUT, I must say the FX9 and FX6 do seem to look much, much better. 

In my experience, every FS7/FX9/FX6/C300/EVA1/etc owner has a second B-Cam that is often a mirrorless for gimbal shots, 2nd interview shots, and as a backup camera. But no camera manufacturer has given them a TRUE b-cam (same sensor size, same mount, same color, same IQ, same general usability, etc). Canon has the C70, but still a bit too big for what I'm talking about and is the only Canon cinema camera with the RF Mount. Panasonic has the S1H, but it doesn't have an L-Mount A-Cam.

But THIS Sony FX3 is nearly perfect, it seems. Along with ND, the other big inclusion needed is timecode. If you can jam this with FX9/FX6/audio and just have it on standby on a gimbal or a drone or wherever you need it, that would be so, so nice.

Just now, RWR said:

"Along with ND, the other big inclusion needed is timecode."

Would be a first for Sony to put jammable tc via something other than a traditional timecode jack.

True. But always a first - S1H is the first mirrorless camera to get it and then they added it to the S1 through the flash-sync port (I believe), so definitely possible. That's the main reason the S1H is Netflix approved and Sony would be smart to include it if they expect a lot of FX9 and FX6 owners to pick this camera up.