SONY FX3 new camera to be announced

Trankilstef

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Will any of your wedding clients really tell the difference between if you shot it with a X-H1 or X-H2??

No they wouldn’t. I would, but they definitely would not know or care.

It or similar (XT3 though) may well be an option and it will come down to timing.

The latest and greatest may be an option but only if it makes sense at any given time.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, 92F said:

I think Fuji uses a Sony sensor, so it uses the same technology as that of the Aptina patent acquired by Sony.

It's a dual gain as explained here  . https://www.photonstophotos.net/Aptina/DR-Pix_WhitePaper.pdf

1 hour ago, Llaasseerr said:

There are numerous white papers authored by Japanese imaging engineers about this sensor tech, and this looks like it could be first to market for a mainstream consumer/pro camera release. 🤞

Some of the white papers:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9281334

https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/19/24/5572

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ist/ei/2020/00002020/00000007/art00003

Sony A7SIII has it too...

2 minutes ago, 92F said:

Sony A7SIII has it too...

Yes, the sensor in the FX6 and potentially the FX3 is more or less the same as the sensor in the a7sIII. But the a7sIII does not have the WDR feature enabled. 

As for Fuji, I assume you mean the Sony sensor in the GFX100. The dynamic range of this camera is still within the bounds of an X-T3/X-T4, around 12 stops. It doesn't have the particular WDR method enabled that is potentially going to be in the FX6 and possibly the FX3.

Maybe I'm jaded after last year, but I'm struggling to get any excitement in a camera that is more speculation than fact.  Aside from what it looks like, how much do we know?

With the way this year is going, my investment in gear will again be low.  If BM release a new camera, it may get me to cough up some of my savings.... however, I have plans for lighting, lenses  audio gear and updating my graphics card more on my list of needs.

Its great that Sony have joined the small cinema camera group.  I'm still wondering what the catch is.  If they offer a codec like ProRes and have internal NDs, then it will be of interest to me.  I'm not too fussed about IBIS.  Canon C70 came very close to being of interest, but a high price tag and limited to H264/5 codec puts me off. 

Only a year ago, everyone was jumping up and down in excitement over the announcement of a new Canon mirrorless hybrid, and we know how that story ended.  So I struggle to feel too much excitement now.  Though partly thats because its hard to get too keen over a camera when I lack work to both pay for it and use it.

56 minutes ago, Llaasseerr said:

Yes, the sensor in the FX6 and potentially the FX3 is more or less the same as the sensor in the a7sIII. But the a7sIII does not have the WDR feature enabled. 

As for Fuji, I assume you mean the Sony sensor in the GFX100. The dynamic range of this camera is still within the bounds of an X-T3/X-T4, around 12 stops. It doesn't have the particular WDR method enabled that is potentially going to be in the FX6 and possibly the FX3.

You  sure.....https://www.repaire.net/forums/articles/sony-alpha-7s-iii-dual-iso-pas-vraiment.1081/

Honestly, I know a lot of you are excited about this but.... this should have just been the a7sIII. The only point in having both is to make people want to buy both - I mean how many people are buying the a7sIII for stills? This camera has the same features - 4K120p, same sensor, I assume the same AF system, Cfexpress Type A, etc. But, it has many things that they (now clearly purposefully) left out of the a7sIII - like waveform, timecode, vectorscope, a nicer LCD, superior video ergonomics, 3/8 mounting on top, an XLR adapter in the box which mounts into two of those 3/8 holes, etc etc. Unclear about IBIS, but I assume it will have it but no eND. Some of these are just rumors but I think they're accurate.

It will still be a perfectly good stills camera in the same way the S1H or Sigma Fp is (except better than the Fp). But, significantly better design and features for a video shooter.

Maybe I'm wrong and a ton of people bought the a7sIII largely for photography. But I doubt it.

This just kind of reeks of the Canon-like cripple now that we know this is basically what the a7sIII easily could have been, with essentially no sacrifice. Even further supported by this coming out AFTER the a7s.

4 minutes ago, pixelpreaching said:

It will still be a perfectly good stills camera in the same way the S1H or Sigma Fp is

Sigma FP a good stills camera?

On which planet is this?

Don’t get me wrong, I love(d) the concept and it can make great images, but a good stills camera it is far from!

I’ll give you the S1H though! The S1’s and the S5 are underrated in this department and I get a bit tired of reading half-assed ‘reviews’ that say the S5 especially is somehow limited as a stills camera, but fail to explain how/where.

It’s not. It’s bloody good. As long as you don’t need 365 frames per second or anything very fast paced, so real world.

But I digress and as Steve says above, we are speculating on mostly rumors in regard to this latest unicorn. 

11 minutes ago, pixelpreaching said:

Maybe I'm wrong and a ton of people bought the a7sIII largely for photography. But I doubt it.

Nah, I suspect you are far from wrong but someone, somewhere probably did!

Actually, as a hybrid shooter it wouldn’t bother me that much and is not a dealbreaker as a decade ago, I was perfectly happy with Nikon D3’s and they were 12mp.

Nowhere in low light compared with the Sony and weighed as much as a juvenile cow, but 12mp was actually fine.

The sweet spot for me these days is really 20-30.

24 minutes ago, pixelpreaching said:

I personnally use it for both stills and video. I still gave some photo paid jobs, and 90% of the time it will end up on the internet and on social media. So yeah perfectly fine for me. If I need more megapixels I'd rent an A7rIV for exemple but for now I'm fine with 12mp. Only thing to keep in mind is getting the framing right in camera, cause cropping is not an option.
And for family stuff, vacations, it is good enough, even for printing. When you watch all those gigantics Iphone ads in train stations, airports or city centers which are shot with its 12mp sensor (which is far inferior to the A7SIII sensor) I mean, no problem at all.

Actually i'm just waiting until the Sony A7IV comes out this summer, and then I will buy it as my second video body and my primary stills camera.

11 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Sigma FP a good stills camera?

On which planet is this?

Don’t get me wrong, I love(d) the concept and it can make great images, but a good stills camera it is far from!

I did say {except better than the Fp} after that. But yes, the Fp is not a good stills camera because it lacks many things, primarily a mech shutter and EVF. My point was, it's still designed as a hybrid, but like the a7sIII most people do not/did not buy it for its photographic qualities. It's not a pure cinema camera in the way a BMPCC6K is, for example, even though that actually takes 18MP stills.

The same is true to a lesser degree with the a7sIII - people these days simply aren't buying that camera for photography. It's not a low light champ for photos anymore and it has no other qualities that would make it preferable to another Sony costing the same or less money with more features.

I think it's pretty clear they released the a7s before this because if they did it at the same time, the a7sIII would not have done well - I am, however, assuming here that the price will be very similar and that it has IBIS.

3 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

I personnally use it for both stills and video. I still gave some photo paid jobs, and 90% of the time it will end up on the internet and on social media. So yeah perfectly fine for me. If I need more megapixels I'd rent an A7rIV for exemple but for now I'm fine with 12mp. Only thing to keep in mind is getting the framing right in camera, cause cropping is not an option.
And for family stuff, vacations, it is good enough, even for printing. When you watch all those gigantics Iphone ads in train stations, airports or city centers which are shot with its 12mp sensor (which is far inferior to the A7SIII sensor) I mean, no problem at all.

Actually i'm just waiting until the Sony A7IV comes out this summer, and then I will buy it as my second video body and my primary stills camera.

You're misinterpreting my point. Of course people use it for both stills and video - they'll be able to the same with the FX3.

My point was.... well, did YOU buy it FOR photography? If the FX3 was out then with the same features plus more at the same price point, would you have gotten the a7sIII?

19 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

But I digress and as Steve says above, we are speculating on mostly rumors in regard to this latest unicorn. 

I agree it is speculation but I am very confident in the specs I listed.

I know the XLR thing is true, for example. I know it will only be 4K120p, no 6K or anything. I know it will use CFexpress Type A (and I assume also UHS-II SD).

The rest are speculations but I'm quite confident.

Maybe I'll eat these words later.

54 minutes ago, Django said:

Bildschirmfoto-2021-02-12-um-07.33.29.pn

Not really a fan of the design personally. Balance seems poor. No EVF, no IBIS. It better have a eND or I just don't see why you'd favour this over an A7S3. Is it even FF? I guess too many unknowns to really judge..

A buddy of mine who shoots Sony emailed about this camera talking about how I'm going to be into it for a cine camera and how far ahead Sony is going to be than everybody else. NOPE!

This form factor for a "cinema" camera is a big nope for me. At least the C70 is big enough to include a lot of function buttons and (mini)xlr inputs right on the body. And it has built-in NDs. 

Putting a pre-amp several inches above the body and out over the lens? Yeah, that's going to help stabilize my footage. I'm not a big fan of mounting recorders like the MixPre 3 or pre-amps under a camera, but it sure is better than this. 

I'm assuming this one is going to have Sony's e-ND system. It better, that's the only place Sony IS actually out ahead of everybody. And this box is definitely going to need real IBIS. Problem is, to this point Sony's IBIS is what, third rate. From everything I've read here, it's miles behind Panny's excellent IBIS and not even as good as Fuji's, which can be pretty good if you learn how to use it correctly.

I'll pass.

42 minutes ago, Django said:

Bildschirmfoto-2021-02-12-um-07.33.29.pn

Not really a fan of the design personally. Balance seems poor. No EVF, no IBIS. It better have a eND or I just don't see why you'd favour this over an A7S3. Is it even FF? I guess too many unknowns to really judge..

Yep. Either it has eND and timecode, or it seems pretty redundant. However, if it has those two + S-Cinetone + detachable EVF for that hotshoe (which makes the handle and XLR module make a lot more sense), then this is a pretty sweet camera. 

I am assuming the XLR Module can be placed directly on top of the camera bypassing the top handle. I love my Panasonic XLR Module. Its a game changer for me. 

Sony's IBIS at least on the A7S3 is actually really good. Panasonic goes the route of making the footage super stable but at the cost of weird warping if there is too much movement or if the lens is too wide. Fuji has those issues but a lot worse. 

Sony IBIS is much less stable looking but it can handle a lot more movement without looking odd. Basically the Sony looks more like natural handheld footage while Panasonic IBIS looks more like you are using a tripod.