SONY FX3 new camera to be announced

Trankilstef

1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

With the A7sIII, this really needs to have some great video features to differentiate itself (and not just S-Cinetone). And that means: Internal eND. If it doesn't have that, how many other things could it have to really set it apart? Other than the cool color, more robust build, better tilting screen, and lots of mounting points.

Just being that its a high MP sensor sets it apart. Photographers were steering clear of the A7S3 due to the 4k 12mp sensor. People will flock to this. Looks to be the first camera that will really appeal to videographers and photographers with very little compromise between the two. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
33 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

Just being that its a high MP sensor sets it apart. Photographers were steering clear of the A7S3 due to the 4k 12mp sensor. People will flock to this. Looks to be the first camera that will really appeal to videographers and photographers with very little compromise between the two. 

What makes you think this is a higher MP sensor? 4k120p sounds a lot like the a7s3/FX6 sensor. 

Assuming this rumor is accurate LOL!

Chris

12 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

What makes you think this is a higher MP sensor? 4k120p sounds a lot like the a7s3/FX6 sensor. 

Assuming this rumor is accurate LOL!

Chris

The rumor is the A1 sensor which also does 4k 120 same as the R5. Makes sense as they already have the A7s3. But that would beg the question what differentiates it from the A1

18 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

The rumor is the A1 sensor which also does 4k 120 same as the R5. Makes sense as they already have the A7s3. But that would beg the question what differentiates it from the A1

Wasn't that the rumor said it have 8k in the first place? If it doesnt have 8k then most likely will be using a7s3 sensor? And photog really want their EVF! No mechanical shutter will be a put off too if they go with internal VND

44 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Wasn't that the rumor said it have 8k in the first place? If it doesnt have 8k then most likely will be using a7s3 sensor? And photog really want their EVF! No mechanical shutter will be a put off too if they go with internal VND

I think hybrid shooters might give up a mechanical shutter over not having an VND. No EVF is a bummer though. Hard to say though. Every hybrid shooter I know dismissed the A7S3 due to the 4k sensor. I personally shoot almost all my photography with the E-shutter, though its not ideal for sports unless they get the rolling shutter down around 10ms or below. 

The only thing that is keeping me from switching to Sony is their awful noise reduction/sharpening. 

2 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

The only thing that is keeping me from switching to Sony is their awful noise reduction/sharpening. 

Yeah, I wonder if FX3 will have control on that.

I m defintely in the market for FX3 and C50, a small portable cine camera with build in screen and af, dont really care about still capability much.

9 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah, I wonder if FX3 will have control on that.

I m defintely in the market for FX3 and C50, a small portable cine camera with build in screen and af, dont really care about still capability much.

Yeah I honestly don't care about stills either but NR/Sharpening is important to me. Even though my clients couldn't care less. 4k 120p, full frame, and internals ND's, plus Sony auto focus would be amazing. As long as they allow to reduce the Fookin noise reduction. 

12 hours ago, MrSMW said:

This thing looks VERY interesting, - the love child of the FX6 and the Sigma FP.

More like the love child of a S1H and the FX6 I think.

13 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

In fact, get this form factor, make it thinner, rearrange the controls a bit (back joystick, af/mf switch, a mode dial) and Sony could have a winner A7000.

I wish they'd release a pro APS-C camera, or at least an APS-C camera which didn't suffer from HORRIBLE amounts of rolling shutter. 

I do not mind rolling shutter though, so long as it isn't horrific.

12 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

If its really a 4k/120p camera, the 8k talk was just a SAR wishlist spec. Its looking more like the FX6 in a compact body. That price is lower than the Euro price of the a7s3, maybe $3000-ish here in the US?

Could, I couldn't cope if it was even more expensive than the a7Smk3! (plus who'd then buy it over an FX6 for only marginally more?!)

10 hours ago, Thpriest said:

So what will be the big differences between this and the A7Siii? Let's see that comparison list!

Guesses:
1) crippled stills mode
2) no IBIS

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

More like the love child of a S1H and the FX6 I think.

I meant in actual physical looks, - the grey of the FX6 in an FP body with a grip stuck on it, but actually FX6 and A7C.

If they get this right (for my needs), then I think I’m going to go full in on Sony and a pair of these because I’ve resisted Sony so hard (other than the compacts and currently have a ZV1) because resistance is futile. Sony are The Borg of the camera world right now.

It will also come down to when my niche destination wedding market gets going again in France because I am very limited on kit right now with just my S5 and a couple of lenses. As soon as we are within 1 month of that happening, I need to spend as there is zero rental option here for my needs so it’s going to be a case of going with whatever best suits my needs at the time and living with it for a few years.

The longer that takes to happen, the worse for my financial situation but better for the potential kit available; FX3, GH6, XH2 et al.

But right now, hats off to Sony as they are well out in front in most regards and ultimately badges/brands don’t matter to me, only capability.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Guesses:
1) crippled stills mode
2) no IBIS

Given the FX denomination - Sony's cinema line - I'd be surprised if it has a stills mode at all, likewise IBIS. I think people looking for something comparable to, or an alternative to the A7Siii are probably barking up the wrong tree here. I'd look upon this (subject to further info) as Sony's riposte to Canon's C70. I'm not in the market for a new camera (and if I was I'd prefer the form factor of the FX6) but this - especially at the rumoured price -  looks like it could be an extremely tasty option!

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

But right now, hats off to Sony as they are well out in front in most regards and ultimately badges/brands don’t matter to me, only capability.

Exactly. That's why I switched back from Panasonic to Sony because they suits my needs better (AF, mainly) despite the little quirks they have compared to my now sold S1H and S5.
After a few days with the A7SIII I can confidently say that I won't regret at all. And I can not regret when I see what Sony is delivering right now. 
They have the tech ready, they have the lenses (huge amount of choice at all budget levels), they have the financial power, and at last they finally push things forward. 
Glad I've switched. 
This FX3 should complement my A7SIII very well if there is enough pro video features (mainly talking about synchro scan and shutter angle, 4K DCI, waveform, false color, etc.)

1 hour ago, Tim Sewell said:

I'd look upon this (subject to further info) as Sony's riposte to Canon's C70.

I think so too. but the price is really at the advantage of the Sony with a bigger sensor, even if it needs the dedicated XLR adapter to be able to compete with the C70 in the sound department.
But the only unknown remains the presence of a built in ND or even better E-ND.
If it has this feature, it's way more interesting that the Canon C70 in my opinion.

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The longer that takes to happen, the worse for my financial situation but better for the potential kit available; FX3, GH6, XH2 et al.

Or let depreciation work for you and get a FS5/GH5/X-H1 instead??

Seriously, with the way the world and the economy is, I'd minimize spending and look for best bang for buck. Let others take the depreciation hit! Not you.

Will any of your wedding clients really tell the difference between if you shot it with a X-H1 or X-H2??

I'm calling it that the reason this is similar to an a7sIII (same sensor) but more expensive and with active cooling is because it will include the rumored WDR license and Sony will announce a paid update for the FX6 as well.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/fx6-features-19ev-wdr-via-v2-x-firmware-and-wdr-license/

Simultaneously capturing a  High / Low Conversation Gain (HCG/LCG) then combining the values would require active cooling that the a7sIII is incapable of. Sony have been making sensors with this capability for a few years, for example:

https://roboticsandautomationnews.com/2017/11/29/sony-launches-the-third-generation-of-its-image-sensors/15199/

There are numerous white papers authored by Japanese imaging engineers about this sensor tech, and this looks like it could be first to market for a mainstream consumer/pro camera release. 🤞

Some of the white papers:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9281334

https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/19/24/5572

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ist/ei/2020/00002020/00000007/art00003