EOSHD Podcast Episode 2 - Michael Moore's producer Jeff Gibbs on his latest movie

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is not a new movie, .  While it's very effective, emotional film-making, after further research it seems that it just vacillates between being incorrect or just out of date. There is a great 45 minute movie within that 100 minute-long documentary. Sadly the rest is either out of date, misleading, or downright lies. After a bit of research* I realized why no distributor would touch it and why it was dumped on Youtube for free. Lesson learned: Youtube is not a source of credible information.  I expected better from Michael Moore

*There are tons of critiques out there about Planet of the Humans, but what really turned me against it was reading Bill McKibben's editorial denouncing Biomass and Biofuel: https://grist.org/.../burning-trees-for-electricity-is-a.../

Planet of the Humans would have you think that Bill McKibben is out there chopping down forests and spreading the idea that biomass is good, but he wrote this 4 years before the movie came out. Ignoring reality in a documentary is just plain wrong

• Administrators

It was put on YouTube so the message got out to a large audience, it's got to kickstart a debate. Michael Moore says it was originally going to go into cinemas but the coronavirus pandemic of course scuttled that plan.

What parts of the movie do you find to be 'downright lies'?

Let's see if you can be specific!

A lot of the YouTube 'critiques' are sponsored by hedge funds. Probably 80% of the material on the internet on the subject of green energy and biomass is shill content. You do realise that don't you?

The movie told you exactly who funds and sponsors Bill McKibben and 350.org so I suggest you pay attention next time you skim through it!!

Unless we unexpectedly can come up with some sort of god-like AI system, or vastly superior and genetically modified beings, I do not foresee a top down solution to the mess we are in. Any thorough plan that threatens industrial life will be met with extreme hostility, especially from China, Russia and citizens over the world.

The main problem with Planet of the Humans is that it was principally shot 12-13 years ago and then languished in distribution-limbo until last year.  Since then technology has massively changed (kind of the point of this blog?) solar is 8-10 times more efficient than it was then, all battery technology has massively improved and the Scandinavians figured out how to use dams as giant batteries (perfect for storing wind power).  The big lie that I mentioned were the attacks on Bill McKibbon, who has been strongly and vocally AGAINST biomass since at least 5 years before the movie came out.  If all you watch is the movie you would think he was it's biggest proponent.  Other reviewers have really torn it to shreds point by point, but the main thing is that while it had a really strong thesis (infinite growth on a finite planet is impossible) it needed way more editing before being released

I am a big fan of Michael Moore but I think he was duped in this film by his the gibb guy. I think the guy just told him corporations are doing green washing etc and his hate which most of the time is justified and he got triggered. People they are showing 90s footage, and the guy is talking about Solar panel with 8%...... conversion. I mean when was that, even 10 years ago we where in the 15+ % and now 20-23% for commercially available panel. He is talking about waste, today's good panel are between .2 to .5 % loss in capacity per year. We are talking 50 to 100 years lifecycle with over above 80% capacity. Same for battery, we are at the level of the million miles battery. That is 50 years average driving. Let's not even talk about cost. Solar being the cheapest ever form of producing electricity. This video is a good rebuttal of the documentary.