Digital cameras shipments at 1990s levels in 2020

Andrew Reid

I'd argue that digital camera sales have not slowed down, and actually speeded up. And the reason is that this graph is not taking into account cellphone cameras, which for all intent and purposes *are* digital camera replacements. I'd even go so far as to predict that the decline in sales of non-cellphone digital cameras have a direct relationship with the increase in sales of cellphone digital cameras.

Bottom line: That graph does not tell us much as it is imcomplete.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think kye nailed it. Don't recall exactly what he said but the gist of it is; smartphones and image quality of video at x level dropping in price as sensors transition from 4K, 6K, 8K, and now 12K.

Long time photographer/videographer. Mostly the latter. Circumstances took me from the production world for a 15 year stretch, and placed me in the former. When I realized I could capture an adequate image with an iPhone 4S, my Nikon D2H gathered dust. No, NOT saying as good an image as the Nikon, but that the image was adequate for purpose. The D2H is made for action and sports, and along with my 70-200VR lens remain an excellent tool for this purpose - but - for product photography destined for a webpage? Good grief, I am so 'very' productive with an iPhone!

Videocamera-wise, I am recently making my return. What have I learned? The transition to YouTube is complete (I'm a pre-YouTube producer). This means the SD transition to HD (525-line to 1080 and interlaced to progressive image display, plus 4:3 to 16:9). But here's the thing; while I have comparatively loads of money, instead of buying an Sony FX6 I've been picking up used Sony FS700R and FS5 off eBay very cheaply.

These are S35 sensors and produce gorgeous images and their prices are in the dirt. Who am I to argue with those who believe the latest camera will take them to the next level? Not me! Instead, and very conscious of what, 'the tool does not the craftsman make' means, I've chosen to equip myself with five FS700R for an average of $1700, plus a nifty little switcher from Blackmagic for studio production. Plus an FS5 for field work (automagical HD is the heat). Both output 4K, but honestly, for my purposes of HD deliverable largely destined for YouTube? These are all I need.

I suspect I'm not the only guy to realize I can spend less for seriously good tools, hence the drop in shipments. But the biggie in all this are smartphone cameras. They're the tail that wags the dog!

18 hours ago, jbeech said:

These are S35 sensors and produce gorgeous images and their prices are in the dirt. Who am I to argue with those who believe the latest camera will take them to the next level? Not me! Instead, and very conscious of what, 'the tool does not the craftsman make' means, I've chosen to equip myself with five FS700R for an average of $1700, plus a nifty little switcher from Blackmagic for studio production. Plus an FS5 for field work (automagical HD is the heat). Both output 4K, but honestly, for my purposes of HD deliverable largely destined for YouTube? These are all I need.

What exactly are you shooting such that you're using 5x FS700R?

Pity about Caleb making them popular again, if not for him, your average price could've been HALF that!