what addons for smallrig cage

stefanocps

hello,  i am going to get a smallrig cage for my xt3, i find it second hand at bargain price, so i decided. The cage come plain, no addon. What are the must have? For sure the top handle. I see there are several type

LInk to tophandle in smallrig.com

From thje cheapest in rubber to those muche more expensive. I don0t uderstan the difference (may a part of the material)..which one to get?

What ele shoul di get other than handle?

thank you

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

My advice would be to wait until you know what to add on to your camera. best to keep it lightweight and simple until you have accessories you need to add. Ive always found cages get in the way a bit unless you need to build things onto the camera!

sorry i don t understand the meaning of this sentences "Ive always found cages get in the way a bit unless you need to build things onto the camera!"...(i am not english mother tongue..) can you explain different? thank you

2 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

sorry i don t understand the meaning of this sentences "Ive always found cages get in the way a bit unless you need to build things onto the camera!"...(i am not english mother tongue..) can you explain different? thank you

no problem I hope this is easier to understand! 'I don't like to use cages unless I need to add something to the camera, a monitor for example. 

Just now, JordanWright said:

no problem I hope this is easier to understand! 'I don't like to use cages unless I need to add something to the camera, a monitor for example. 

ok thank you..that is what seemed to me, but i was noit sure..So you don't like to use cage a part if you need a monitor..and that is obvious. WHy you don't like cage? i find can be helpfull when doing some movement of the camera...i think coulkd be more stable, moving a camera with a cage form the handle than have it in the hand..what is your opinion about?

2 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

ok thank you..that is what seemed to me, but i was noit sure..So you don't like to use cage a part if you need a monitor..and that is obvious. WHy you don't like cage? i find can be helpfull when doing some movement of the camera...i think coulkd be more stable, moving a camera with a cage form the handle than have it in the hand..what is your opinion about?

Personally it doesn't change the way I hold the camera and sometimes the metal covers the grip making it uncomfortable. If you prefer to use a top handle though go for it!

14 hours ago, stefanocps said:

hello,  i am going to get a smallrig cage for my xt3, i find it second hand at bargain price, so i decided. The cage come plain, no addon. What are the must have? For sure the top handle. I see there are several type

LInk to tophandle in smallrig.com

From thje cheapest in rubber to those muche more expensive. I don0t uderstan the difference (may a part of the material)..which one to get?

What ele shoul di get other than handle?

thank you

I did a pretty comprehensive thread on the add-ons that I put on my camera. I use cages with all of my cameras setup for video. Here is the link to my thread where I posted my different setups. At a minimum I go with a removable top handle, tripod plate, and side handle.  For me, I'm always adding something to the camera; wireless audio transmitters, XLR modules, directional mic, gimbal, monopod, rails, batteries, etc. So a cage is critical for me. 

Also, I actually like the feel of the cage when I am shooting handheld, it adds weight to the camera and size so it feels better to me than without the cage and it protects the camera from certain types of impact.

On 2/2/2021 at 12:35 AM, herein2020 said:

I did a pretty comprehensive thread on the add-ons that I put on my camera. I use cages with all of my cameras setup for video. Here is the link to my thread where I posted my different setups. At a minimum I go with a removable top handle, tripod plate, and side handle.  For me, I'm always adding something to the camera; wireless audio transmitters, XLR modules, directional mic, gimbal, monopod, rails, batteries, etc. So a cage is critical for me. 

Also, I actually like the feel of the cage when I am shooting handheld, it adds weight to the camera and size so it feels better to me than without the cage and it protects the camera from certain types of impact.

i don't understand how can i attach a monitor while i have the top handle

I got today the cage with nato and monitor connector. On th etop of my rig i have put the nato..but can't put both the handle and the monitor...

8 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

i don't understand how can i attach a monitor while i have the top handle

I got today the cage with nato and monitor connector. On th etop of my rig i have put the nato..but can't put both the handle and the monitor...

Top handles usually have a mount on them, you just need to figure out what mounting options your top handle has. Mine have enough mounts for two more pieces of gear once the handle is attached. I typically attach the monitor to the front mounting point and the Sennheiser receiver to the other. If you look at the link I sent it will show you how the monitor can be mounted to the top handle.

32 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Top handles usually have a mount on them, you just need to figure out what mounting options your top handle has. Mine have enough mounts for two more pieces of gear once the handle is attached. I typically attach the monitor to the front mounting point and the Sennheiser receiver to the other. If you look at the link I sent it will show you how the monitor can be mounted to the top handle.

i have tried to look, but cannot see it properly. so you don'use nato? i have uno cold shoe on front of the handle..so i might connect the monitor there

4 hours ago, stefanocps said:

i have tried to look, but cannot see it properly. so you don'use nato? i have uno cold shoe on front of the handle..so i might connect the monitor there

I use a nato rail to connect to the camera cage then the handle's coldshoe to connect the monitor and wireless lav equipment. My particular top handle has two cold shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/SMALLRIG-Camera-Anti-Off-Designed-Spanner/dp/B07X1QKB1Z/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=smallrig+top+handle+wooden&qid=1612396679&sr=8-1

Hey there,

I use my X-T3 with either a cage and monitor or just plain with the bare minimum. I'm just a hobby filmer mostly, believe it or not, filming my kids. I just use the whole stuff and try color correction/grading because it's a fun hobby. I will try for real projects anytime in the future when I tested enough. 🙂

Anyway, here is my current setup of the X-T3:

• Cage
  • Top-Handle
  • Side-Handle
  • Comica Mic
  • Swit CM-55C Monitor
  • HDMI Cable Clamp

Before that, I also had a follow focus which I sold, although I liked it a lot.

DSCF5075.jpg

19 hours ago, stefanocps said:

when you say that you us nato rail toconnect to the camera cage, you mean the tripod connection?

this?

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-baseplate-with-dual-15mm-rod-clamp-1798.html

No, this is a nato rail, it creates a clamping surface for other accessories:  https://www.amazon.com/Smallrig-Release-Safety-Spring-Scarlet/dp/B00EVG3M68