Canon C70 Colors? Noise?

ENDEARLY

Hello - 

I'm new to the cinema line of cameras. I have a EOS R and 1DX Mii. 

The colors are very flat for me and I'm sure it's something that I am doing wrong. I have tried the REC709 straight out of camera as well as CLOG2 and then importing into Final Cut Pro X and applying the built in CLOG2 LUT. I downloaded the OWL C70 color profile to see if that would help and same result. 

I'm not very good at color correction but I tried to push up the saturation and just not getting the desired results.

Additionally, I'm getting more noise at 800 ISO than my 1DX Mii. 

I'm using a 24-105 RF L lens. 

Any pointers? Thanks in advance! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/30/2021 at 5:29 AM, ENDEARLY said:

Hello - 

I'm new to the cinema line of cameras. I have a EOS R and 1DX Mii. 

The colors are very flat for me and I'm sure it's something that I am doing wrong. I have tried the REC709 straight out of camera as well as CLOG2 and then importing into Final Cut Pro X and applying the built in CLOG2 LUT. I downloaded the OWL C70 color profile to see if that would help and same result. 

I'm not very good at color correction but I tried to push up the saturation and just not getting the desired results.

Additionally, I'm getting more noise at 800 ISO than my 1DX Mii. 

I'm using a 24-105 RF L lens. 

Any pointers? Thanks in advance! 

I’ve kind of noticed the same. The Canon provided LUTs still need a little additional work to get the image to a nice place. 

Where are you getting noise? From my tests, I wouldn’t consider it to be an offensive amount of noise, but I am also not seeing a huge improvement with the DGO sensor, when compared to the C300 Mkii. 

I felt the Rec.709 straight out of camera looked really really bad on skin.

Can you post some samples?

I have the C200 with the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 lens, here is a sample shot in low light at ISO800 4K30FPS 4:2:0 8bit LongGOP. I haven't had any problems with noise or saturation out of the C200. Remember all LUTs are just meant to get you close, you still need to use your color grading NLE and tools of choice to finish developing the image. For the attached sample image, I did not add any saturation. Also, I tend to slightly ETTR until the highs show a little hot in the  WFM then pull down the Lift in post to lower the black point.  It is a balancing act though, I only ETTR if I can get away with it using nothing but the aperture; if I have to increase the ISO to ETTR then I just go for proper exposure.

The processed image below is without any noise reduction added. If you feel like you cannot add back enough saturation are you sure your monitor is calibrated? Also, a lot of YouTube videos heavily oversaturate their footage because they think it looks better, but if you watch Hollywood movies they don't have as much saturation as your typical YouTube video. It could also be your lens; the 24-105mm is considered a very clinical lens....great all arounder but not something you want to use for 'cinematic' footage.

C200-SampleGrade-LowLight.jpg