Stills from video

MrSMW

32 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

A couple more questions because I am not very techy and don’t mind admitting I don’t know the answers and these are:

Are all 4K screen grabs basically the same size, regardless of whether the screen grab is from a 4/3, APSC or FF sensor?

Or is there an advantage to using a larger sensor and say a 50mp over say a 24mp?

The rules of 4K stills are the same as the rules for 4K video.  Downsampled 4K from 6K or 8K will yield more detail than stills from a 4K sensor.  If its line skipped 4K from 8K, then its not going to look as good.  Sensor size won't impact on the resolution.  4K from a MFT camera is still 4K.  A fullframe will allow for a cleaner image, as per video.  I've extracted stills from the GH5, which is downsampled from 5K, and it looked a lot better than a fullframe 4K from a fullframe Canon camera where the 4K was line skipped.  

Obviously if you were filming 6K or 8K, the stills would be a lot better as they will be a higher resolution.  However, you will need to record 6K and load that into your editing suite to extract the stills.  If you downsample to 4K in edit, then extract the still, it'll show little difference to the 4K recorded on the camera.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks @SteveV4D makes sense.

So because I shoot with the intent of being able to slow down by 50% pretty much every piece of footage (except the full ceremony and full speeches which isn't), I shoot 50p being in a PAL region.

My S5 I think is shooting downsampled 6K which is probably why the stills look so good and also because I'm shooting at 1/100th of a second?

6K 50/60P would be better, but I don't think there is an AF camera that can do this? Various cinema cameras and the BMP6K etc, but no what we'd call hybrid/DSLR type cameras?

Having said that, if I move more into this territory and won't have to flip between stills and video or do both at the same time, I could fully exploit manual focus.

And then there is this aftermarket gaydar tech that has various possibilities.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:58 AM, MrSMW said:

Thanks @SteveV4D makes sense.

So because I shoot with the intent of being able to slow down by 50% pretty much every piece of footage (except the full ceremony and full speeches which isn't), I shoot 50p being in a PAL region.

My S5 I think is shooting downsampled 6K which is probably why the stills look so good and also because I'm shooting at 1/100th of a second?

6K 50/60P would be better, but I don't think there is an AF camera that can do this? Various cinema cameras and the BMP6K etc, but no what we'd call hybrid/DSLR type cameras?

Having said that, if I move more into this territory and won't have to flip between stills and video or do both at the same time, I could fully exploit manual focus.

And then there is this aftermarket gaydar tech that has various possibilities.

The issue with higher resolution cameras like say the S1R is that its not using that high megapixel count for its video modes. Combining that with line skipping it uses in 4k vs the downsampling on the S1 and you actually have an inferior image. You are right no stills camera is doing 6k 50p. To be honest I don't think shooting in 6k vs downsampled 4k is going to be noticeable. 8k is where you see a significant jump.