Sony A7 series - help me choose

Tim Sewell

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

It's kind of funny, isn't it??? I mean, if you were a Wedding shooter, the 12MP Nikon D700 was THE Wedding Photography camera for several years, and a D300 12MP aps-c crop sensor camera would be a back up cam. 

Heh - I shot 20-odd weddings on a pair of 10MP 40Ds with a 350D as backup. People were happy to pay £1500-£2000 (and we didn't even give them prints - that was extra!) in the early noughties. Happy days.

1 minute ago, Tim Sewell said:

Heh - I shot 20-odd weddings on a pair of 10MP 40Ds with a 350D as backup. People were happy to pay £1500-£2000 (and we didn't even give them prints - that was extra!) in the early noughties. Happy days.

Having said that, I spent last night clicking through 100s of AS7Rii images on Flickr and the detail on some of them was mind-blowing, compared to what I get from my EM-1 mkii. Looking forward to getting my hands on the camera, even though there's not exactly much to point it at right now.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:40 AM, Tim Sewell said:

Having said that, I spent last night clicking through 100s of AS7Rii images on Flickr and the detail on some of them was mind-blowing, compared to what I get from my EM-1 mkii. Looking forward to getting my hands on the camera, even though there's not exactly much to point it at right now.

Yeah, Sony GM glass (or the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, or Sigma Art Glass) on an a7R II would be pretty spectacular. 

3 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Yeah, Sony GM glass (or the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, or Sigma Art Glass) on an a7R II would be pretty spectacular. 

I'm thinking that once the dust settles on my PayPal account I might get one native (or Sigma) prime. I'm leaning towards a 35mm, that being just about my favourite focal length on FF (for stills, that is).

I grabbed an A7 for 400€ used and it is a wonderful camera, esp. when you're coming from m4/3. It fits perfectly in the hand, is really small and is incredibly lightweight, which puts it in front of the A7ii, to my eyes. Image quality is competitive today, I would say, except in low light. AF capability is good enough, if you're not after shooting greyhounds at the races. It's the perfect camera to take into the streets and for travel + if it gets lost it's not the and of the world. Gives wonderful results with old minolta lenses, as well.

1 hour ago, lebigmac said:

I grabbed an A7 for 400€ used and it is a wonderful camera, esp. when you're coming from m4/3. It fits perfectly in the hand, is really small and is incredibly lightweight, which puts it in front of the A7ii, to my eyes. Image quality is competitive today, I would say, except in low light. AF capability is good enough, if you're not after shooting greyhounds at the races. It's the perfect camera to take into the streets and for travel + if it gets lost it's not the and of the world. Gives wonderful results with old minolta lenses, as well.

I actually would not mind using an original A7 to shoot greyhounds racing!     

I USED to shoot greyhounds with a Pentax DSLR with several photos published in a national (Australian) greyhound racing paper (at the time one of the largest circulation greyhound racing papers in the world).     Even the first A7 had better AF than the old Pentax DSLRs I used. 

I never did use the A7 for that though but it would be ok for me.

Yes of course there are better cameras for that (lots of them).

In good light, the first A7 takes quite nice photos with still competitive DR (still better than many even current FF cameras at ISO 100 and still better than almost every smaller sensor camera.

If someone just wants a FF camera to take good light photos in good weather it is still a nice choice.     Once you start adding OTHER requirements, not so muchnow.