R5 vs R6

Django

1 hour ago, Django said:

Well I had my first overheat yesterday during an interview. I thought it was going to be a 15-30mn max job but it ended up dragging on over an hour. Overheat came on just at the end so I was saved but cool down time was about 30mn. I don't think I can recommend this camera for that type of application.

Biggest issue of the R6 is that it does not have any non overheating modes right?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That's a little disconcerting what sort of temperature were you filming at, inside or out?

Have been testing the R6 and one major irritant for me is that I can't use the cameras touch screen and record internally when I have an external monitor hooked up. Really shitty thing to do, is this the same with the R5?

12 hours ago, Django said:

Well I had my first overheat yesterday during an interview. I thought it was going to be a 15-30mn max job but it ended up dragging on over an hour. Overheat came on just at the end so I was saved but cool down time was about 30mn. I don't think I can recommend this camera for that type of application.

Unless you bring a small fan apparently (see Cruisn Canada's video for reference). I don't know how professional that looks, however, or if it's reassuring for the client.

1 hour ago, plucas said:

Unless you bring a small fan apparently (see Cruisn Canada's video for reference). I don't know how professional that looks, however, or if it's reassuring for the client.

I feel like the more clever fan rigs are professional looking enough. I’d probably replace the heatsink but I’m a little too comfortable with opening up expensive equipment. 

18 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Biggest issue of the R6 is that it does not have any non overheating modes right?

Yeah no 4K option. Only FHD doesn't overheat. 

16 hours ago, ade towell said:

That's a little disconcerting what sort of temperature were you filming at, inside or out?

Indoors. Average room temperature. I mean it's nothing new, overheating is well documented and I believe R6 actually has longer 4K recording time than R5's 4KHQ. Still obviously a concern for long applications.

7 hours ago, plucas said:

Can't find the video, you got a link? Only dedicated fan I remember and would consider was the Tilta cooling kit:

1-2.jpg

But it looks like they abandoned the project..

20 hours ago, ade towell said:

Have been testing the R6 and one major irritant for me is that I can't use the cameras touch screen and record internally when I have an external monitor hooked up. Really shitty thing to do, is this the same with the R5?

17 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes sir. 

Not sure what you want to do but If I have enable both LCD and the external HDMI screen I can use the touch screen of the LCD for focusing, Q menu etc.. it does not work when you are in the menu but who cares about it.... R5

Interesting, does the LCD screen stay on - with the R6 if I have the cameras LCD and external screen on then I can't record to the cameras card. With just the external screen on the cameras LCD is not turned on and doesn't seem to respond to touch. Was hoping to be able to use the touchscreen for AF purposes mainly, tracking  etc

30 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Interesting, does the LCD screen stay on - with the R6 if I have the cameras LCD and external screen on then I can't record to the cameras card. With just the external screen on the cameras LCD is not turned on and doesn't seem to respond to touch. Was hoping to be able to use the touchscreen for AF purposes mainly, tracking  etc

R5 you can record even 8K RAW with the LCD on and the external screen on and use the touch screen. 1Dx II and III are the same too. 

Do you have the menu with the small camera and big screen icon enabled? Is called HDMI Display the menu... 

35 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

R5 you can record even 8K RAW with the LCD on and the external screen on and use the touch screen. 1Dx II and III are the same too. 

Do you have the menu with the small camera and big screen icon enabled? Is called HDMI Display the menu... 

If I have  the small camera and big screen icon enabled in HDMI display menu I get this message...

"Card recording not supported. Device connected via HDMI is used instead of camera for menu display and image playback" 

I can only record with just the big screen icon enabled which turns off the cameras touch screen. So annoying

From what you say the R5 doesn't have this limitation but Video Hummus said it did, am slightly confused or am I misreading what one of you is saying?

Ok from what I can find out the R5 doesn't have this problem and it's yet another bit of cheap crippling from Canon. This R6 is going back there's just too many gotchas for shooting video, I would prefer to use my Fuji's - the AF is the only real plus for the R6 (and lowlight) but if I can't touch control AF when using a monitor then its useless to me. The tracking AF on the Fuji is actually pretty good and works with external monitor hooked up like every other camera should. The R6 is a nice stills camera I'll give it that. Unfortunately the R5 is just too expensive for my intended use

4 hours ago, ade towell said:

If I have  the small camera and big screen icon enabled in HDMI display menu I get this message...

"Card recording not supported. Device connected via HDMI is used instead of camera for menu display and image playback" 

I can only record with just the big screen icon enabled which turns off the cameras touch screen. So annoying

From what you say the R5 doesn't have this limitation but Video Hummus said it did, am slightly confused or am I misreading what one of you is saying?

I was 100% sure because I used many time but I didi test it before posting the above.