R5 vs R6

Django

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
48 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Even in IPB not sure you would really see a difference

Yeah, I think we can generally put the image quality question of ALL-I vs IPB to bed with most modern cameras with decent bitrates above 150Mbps.

Really comes down to editing performance but even that is less and less these days.

Ok not found much info on the audio quality of these cameras. Obviously for important work I would capture sound seperately but occasionally for quick omb stuff I have connected SD mix pre-d directly to Panasonic GH5/S1 (decent quality) and Fuji XT-4 (not as good as Panasonic). With the level turned down to 1 on each camera and let the Mix pre do the heavy lifting I was happy with the results from Panasonic but not so much the Fuji. Would be interested to know if the Canon's are useable or not...

From Canon Rumors (CR3 rating):

"I have been told that the new features firmware for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is “done” and will be released in the next couple of weeks."

"The EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III will all get C-Log 3 and new compression for 4K video."

"The EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III will get a Cinema RAW Light option."

https://www.canonrumors.com/new-feature-firmware-coming-to-the-eos-r5-eos-r6-and-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-in-the-next-couple-of-weeks-cr3/

Can't wait for the new firmware, clog3, cine raw lite, new compression for videos, I wonder is that h.264 10bit 422 or h.265 10bit 420 that most people need for video editing?

And R5C confirmed will be releasing this year, active cooling, unlimited 8k/4k recording and clog 2.

https://www.canonrumors.com/new-feature-firmware-coming-to-the-eos-r5-eos-r6-and-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-in-the-next-couple-of-weeks-cr3/

Some exciting news for both R5 & R6 users! 🙂 

New 4K codec could hopefully mean no more transcoding for 10-bit footage.

R5C rumor is also interesting, looks like Canon's answer to FX3. And a worthy successor to 1DC (minus the price tag I hope!). 

Hope this pulls togheter, which resolve a lot of issues of the R5. Making it editable on my machine + more codecs + increasing the dynamic range to 14 stops(lets wait and see).
Only pickle left is the overheating, I wish they would fix that. (and also the price, I hope to pick one up around 3K used).  

16 hours ago, plucas said:

"The EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III will all get C-Log 3 and new compression for 4K video."

"The EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III will get a Cinema RAW Light option."

Good news.

15 hours ago, ade towell said:

That would be groovy, in reality how much extra DR would c-log3 bring over c-log1

Perhaps 1 extra stop. Any improvement would be welcome, honestly. DR is a major weak point with this camera in video especially for being a FF camera. I would at least like it to have better DR than my previous camera the GH5S!

Looking back on some footage from that camera...I always felt like the DR wasn't good but the GH5s is no slouch for its sensor size.

15 hours ago, ntblowz said:

And R5C confirmed will be releasing this year, active cooling, unlimited 8k/4k recording and clog 2.

Well damn! Classic Canon. Kinda makes the C70 a bit crap. I wonder what the catch will be? I bet this is in response to Sony's FX6 and FX3 which are both full frame cinema cameras...well at least in the FX6 case.

3 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

increasing the dynamic range to 14 stops

The RAW out of the R5 gives you about 12 with a few more stops buried in the shadows that can be recovered. So I suspect CLOG3 will be under 12 stops, coming in around 11 for real world use. Which will match it with XT-4, P4K, and older Sony cameras and within spitting distance of S1/S5.

If the rumored R5c doesn't improve DR, I might as well just stick with R5 until a better sensor comes out of Canon. Perhaps a FF DGO or newer tech. Will be interesting to see what the R1 will have. Will be a good indicator of where Canon's sensor tech is and is going.

44 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Well damn! Classic Canon. Kinda makes the C70 a bit crap. I wonder what the catch will be?

Probably price. The C70 will still be worthy for its DGO sensor which gives higher DR than R5. also internal NDs, XLRs, battery life, WFM etc..

Seems like a logic step to make a R5c with active cooling, hopefully not too much more expensive I may sell the 1Dx III and have my R5 + R5c..... let see in 7-8 months. 

C70 to me it does not really compete with the R5 (c) as is really a cinema camera and not on hybrid with internal NDs, more DR, a lot of customization, TC, serious audio and so on.....  but then with ND adapter and unlimited recording R5c would be almost a perfect hybrid. 

Happy to have CLog3 and more edit friendly codec especially for 4k 120fps..... rest I mostly shoot RAW. I really wish they would make 4k 120fps not conformed with audio, it make no sense not to offer it. Now I use the Rode GO II internal recording for this but synching is a pain.

I’m seriously considering getting an R5 with an RF 28-70mm f/2 to shoot raw. Still can’t walk into a retailer to shoot some tests and I don’t feel like renting one.

I almost bought a C200 until I actually tested it and found some FPN when shooting underexposed in clothing which made me reconsider.

I hope someone rehouses that lens for proper manual focus one day.

5 minutes ago, andrgl said:

I’m seriously considering getting an R5 with an RF 28-70mm f/2 to shoot raw. Still can’t walk into a retailer to shoot some tests and I don’t feel like renting one.

I almost bought a C200 until I actually tested it and found some FPN when shooting underexposed in clothing which made me reconsider.

I hope someone rehouses that lens for proper manual focus one day.

28-70 the biggest issue are NDs..... I'm going back and forth if to buy it or not, currently using EF 24-70 II with vND adapter..... Is also quite heavy so on gimbal is a bit of a drawback. Quality seems to be top notch but could never test one.... 

Hey everyone, been following this post and wanted to get an opinion for 2 different questions. I am 100% going to upgrade to R5 or R6 BUT I also need a full upgrade of my rig to 4k. I'm a single shooter and do a bit of everything from Real Estate, event photos/video, lots of live streaming these days, and up to 5 camera live music shoots. Video is my primary concern. Here is my current rig.

EOS R - EOS R - C100mk2 - C100 (1) - 2 Go Pros. 
RF15-35, RF70-200, RF24-105, RF351.8, Sig18-35, EF70-200, EF501.8, EF10-18

I want to upgrade mostly because although R is a good camera, it's just not as good of a picture (the c1002 is still better video quality)and so many clients are asking for 4k. For Real Estate walk throughs and smaller jobs I trick clients by up res exports to 4k and it looks just as good on Vimeo for them. But for the live music I really need to just get out of the old rig. It's not a 1 camera investment but I can't be buying 3 c200's or anything. But my first upgrade needs to be my main camera. 

Question 1 - Real Estate and single camera videos shoots. I'm not sure if anyone does real estate with one or both of these, but would love to know if the R5 is the worth the price for RE. I need 4k60 and see people using the R6 and most are happy. Also, the overheating doesn't' seem come in to play because it's a bunch of short clips with plenty of breaks for WB and ISO adjustments. I just need something with better DR for dark spaces and better picture. I currently use Clog and have a pretty good grade, but I still know it can be better.

Question 2 - For 5 camera shoots. (Not fully on topic) I do full concerts and promo stuff. I don't know if I'd shoot 4k for 60+ min things, but I currently have a job (COVID depending) that is a 15 min promo real that MUST be in 4k. Just want to get any thoughts from people who do multi-cam stuff at this sort of semi-pro level by themselves. I mostly shoot inside for live music but I totally need at least one camera with build in ND's for outdoor streaming.  Here are my ideas. 

Idea 1 (cheapest): Get R6 (or 5?) for main camera. Keep R's and use their not-as-good crop 4k, and upres the c1002. This would be a bandaid and not long term for 4k. 

Idea 2: Looking into the BM pocket 6k and Pro or waiting for C50 depending on price. Has anyone used BM6k with canon and color matched well? At the price and having EF glass the BM6k looks very appealing but not sure anyone else's experience. 

Any thoughts would be helpful, Cheers, Thanks. 

On 3/18/2021 at 12:35 PM, andrgl said:

@gt3rs it’s a ridiculous lens. I did manage to play with one at a launch event. That lens is enough to make me want to switch at least partially back to Canon.

I really wish it was 24-70 f/2 or if focal length needs to be sacrificed for size/weight than a 24-60 or something. I really like 24mm.

5 hours ago, BrunoLandMedia said:

Question 1 - Real Estate and single camera videos shoots.

R5 with CLOG3 might be a good investment here. When the R5C comes out you can grab one of those as your main cam and the R5 will be a pretty sweet 2nd or 3rd cam. The 4KLQ is still much better than anything out of the EOS R. Long 4K60p shoots might become a problem on R5 has it does overheat in both FF and crop mode.

It's too bad canon doesn't make wide, fast EF-S glass.

5 hours ago, BrunoLandMedia said:

Question 2 - For 5 camera shoots.

BM wouldn't be a bad option here, especially the P6K Pro. The build quality is worrisome though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I had my first overheat yesterday during an interview. I thought it was going to be a 15-30mn max job but it ended up dragging on over an hour. Overheat came on just at the end so I was saved but cool down time was about 30mn. I don't think I can recommend this camera for that type of application.