R5 vs R6

Django

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/10/2021 at 5:08 PM, ade towell said:

Ah that would be wonderful thank you 

Here you go. 20 seconds straight from camera in clog. The only thing I did was strip out the audio and exported as ProRes HQ. Oh, it's also in a 2:1 aspect ratio but it was shot in 4K DCI.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9m9mg6g10ddkfq/R5_4KHQ_4KLQ.mov?dl=0

Having looked at the image of the R5 and R6 they are both very nice, not much to choose from them although the rolling shutter on the R6 is a little off putting. And the fall back to HD not so good when or if things overheat in 4k. DR is not amazing on either but there is talk of c-log3 coming to the R5 which I think would push me that way unless the R6 gets it to - I wonder what the chances are, may just hold off a decision until then - anyone have any info when the firmware is expected, it was meant to have happened by now?

Got to say though I do still slightly prefer the image coming from the Fuji xt3/xt4 - can't put my finger on why but I think it is truly remarkable the quality you can get from such a cheap camera

9 hours ago, Django said:

@ntblowz Nice! Interesting to see the photographer was on a R6. Looks like although its a Canon sponsored event, you were using your own gear? Was the R5/C70 footage shot in standard, log or RAW?

i m on clog 1 ( the only choice on R5) the other guy on c70 use clog2?  Yeah there is a Canon stand which you can borrow gear n lens but i m just using my own 24-105 and 70-300 II on my R5.

The yellow cast thing only becomes a problem in mixed lighting, if you're using AWB you simply need to hit info inside the settings and select white priority as warm is the default. In custom or kelvin, switch to Clog and select Neutral color matrix. You can also further adjust WB tint in the RGB matrix.

Concerning 4K rolling shutter on R6 you can half the RS from 30ms to 15ms just by shooting in 4K60p (and convert to 24/25p in post) and down to 20ms in 4K crop mode.

1 hour ago, Django said:

The yellow cast thing only becomes a problem in mixed lighting, if you're using AWB you simply need to hit info inside the settings and select white priority as warm is the default. In custom or kelvin, switch to Clog and select Neutral color matrix. You can also further adjust WB tint in the RGB matrix.

Concerning 4K rolling shutter on R6 you can half the RS from 30ms to 15ms just by shooting in 4K60p (and convert to 24/25p in post) and down to 20ms in 4K crop mode.

My main concern with shooting 50p to get better RS is that I would also higher the shutter speed to 1/100 to get nice motion which means I would lose a lot of the low light benefits of the camera. Got to admit I haven't looked at 4k 50p is it the same quality as 4k 25p on the R6? Also what's the quality of the 4k crop mode, the oversampled crop is another enticing aspect with the R5

As far as the yellow cast are you saying so long as I shoot manual white balance with clog in neutral then everything is ok? That would be fine for me, never trusted AWB before

Good question, I also usually just follow 180 degree rule blindly and shoot 50p at 1/100 with slow-mo in mind. Maybe 50p at 1/50 makes more sense for non slomo on a 25p timeline..?

24 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Got to admit I haven't looked at 4k 50p is it the same quality as 4k 25p on the R6? Also what's the quality of the 4k crop mode, the oversampled crop is another enticing aspect with the R5

As far as the yellow cast are you saying so long as I shoot manual white balance with clog in neutral then everything is ok? That would be fine for me, never trusted AWB before

Yes 4K50p is the same 5.5K oversampled quality 4K.

4K crop mode is a slightly upsampled sub-4K region (3414 x 1920 pixels). You'd have to pixel peep to notice the difference.

I guess its worth noting 4K60p crop mode on the R6 gets you the lowest RS: 10.2ms.

Manual WB with Clog in Neutral seems pretty good, I haven't done extensive tungsten tests though.

Does Canon still lock the white balance at time of recording in AWB mode? The one thing I really hate is changing the kelvin manually on R5. Too many button presses. On Panasonic cameras there was a dedicated WB button it was as simple as 1 button press and a wheel scroll. Same with setting custom white balance...holy mother of god.

Everybody complained about the EOS R touch bar on the back but I wish they would have put a hybrid of that and the new controls on 1DXM3 instead of scraping it. I find myself rarely using the joystick anymore with such good tracking.

25p at 1/50 or 50p 1/50 with dropping frame in nle should look the same, assuming ALL-I and that the camera 50p vs 25p quality is the same. For the R6 should be exactly the same as also the bandwidth is basically almost the double in ALL-I.