R5 vs R6

Django

Long time no post. I've been riding this one out. After some comparative testing I'm leaning towards the R6 as an upgrade to my sold EOS R.

Why? First the obvious, it's 2K cheaper and I can't really justify the R5 at this point in time.

Second, after some testing the R6 4K (supersampled from 5.5K) footage really isn't that much worse than R5 4K HQ and is much better than R5 4K LQ.

Third, I don't need 8K or Raw. Too heavy files, too much editing processing power needed.

Fourth, although 45MP could be useful, 20MP will do just fine.

The only real downside I see for my needs is the poor RS and a warmer yellow tint on the R6.

Anyone else agree/disagree? Oh and yes I know about the overheating & the A7S3 😅

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The R6 can shoot oversampled 4K longer (40mn) than the R5 4K HQ (30mn) and I heard the overheating is much better since the last update but yeah once you do overheat the R6 you are locked out of video mode unlike the R5. Also I think the R5 "date hack" doesn't work on the R6 right?

My thinking is I won't be using the R6 for long interviews or anything, mostly short clips and B-cam stuff. But yeah it is hard to know if I will run into being locked out of video mode and when/if that happens it will definitely suck!

You're right about the custom movie modes, that will be missed for sure but not really a deal breaker either.

Oh another thing the R6 has over the R5 I believe is lowlight.

35 minutes ago, Django said:

The R6 can shoot oversampled 4K longer (40mn) than the R5 4K HQ (30mn) and I heard the overheating is much better since the last update but yeah once you do overheat the R6 you are locked out of video mode unlike the R5. Also I think the R5 "date hack" doesn't work on the R6 right?

My thinking is I won't be using the R6 for long interviews or anything, mostly short clips and B-cam stuff. But yeah it is hard to know if I will run into being locked out of video mode and when/if that happens it will definitely suck!

You can still do FullHD without problem, just 4k will be locked out i think?

I have to admit the R6 is very tempting (would be coming over from a Panasonic S1 and my numerous Sony aps-c cameras).

But for corporate work or small business commercials, I just don't know about the recording time limits (either hard-coded time limits or limits caused by overheating).

Plus it seems like at this time the dynamic range still lags behind the Pansaonic S1 by about a stop or more. Not important for many, but since the bulk of my work is real estate, I need as much DR as possible.

Kind of a shame for me cause it would be nice to get that great AF, and I am curious as to the IBIS of the R6 since (according to Jordan Drake) it doesn't "fight" you while panning.

IBIS on R5 smooth with panning in my experience at 24mm. Anything wider and IBIS corrections become noticeable.

I spent the extra money for R5:

• The 14-bit 45MP stills are just awesome
  • Custom Modes
  • Oversampled 4K in S35 mode (hopefully we get some wider RF lenses soon; RF 14-28 f/2 please canon; btw sigmas fast 14mm f/1.8 or 20mm f/1.4 lens with RF ND adapter in s35 mode 👌)
  • Record button in photo mode can trigger custom mode (R6 goes into a weird full auto mode; very dumb)
  • 8K can actually be pretty useful in certain scenarios
  • 4KLQ > 1080 from R6
  • 4K120p while not oversampled looks fantastic in my opinion (I can't ever go back to 2K120p I'm spoiled)

I would love a RP sized RF camera that shoots FF 4K 24p in CLOG and more affordable f/1.8 primes as a hand-off camera, B, C camera.

29 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

IBIS on R5 smooth with panning in my experience at 24mm. Anything wider and IBIS corrections become noticeable.

I spent the extra money for R5:

• The 14-bit 45MP stills are just awesome
  • Custom Modes
  • Oversampled 4K in S35 mode (hopefully we get some wider RF lenses soon; RF 14-28 f/2 please canon; btw sigmas fast 14mm f/1.8 or 20mm f/1.4 lens with RF ND adapter in s35 mode 👌)
  • Record button in photo mode can trigger custom mode (R6 goes into a weird full auto mode; very dumb)
  • 8K can actually be pretty useful in certain scenarios
  • 4KLQ > 1080 from R6
  • 4K120p while not oversampled looks fantastic in my opinion (I can't ever go back to 2K120p I'm spoiled)

I would love a RP sized RF camera that shoots FF 4K 24p in CLOG and more affordable f/1.8 primes as a hand-off camera, B, C camera.

Those are some good points, especially 4K120p which I forgot to mention. Still not sure I'm willing to pay close to $2k extra though, rather spend that on glass but food for thought!

3 hours ago, Django said:

Long time no post. I've been riding this one out. After some comparative testing I'm leaning towards the R6 as an upgrade to my sold EOS R.

Why? First the obvious, it's 2K cheaper and I can't really justify the R5 at this point in time.

Second, after some testing the R6 4K (supersampled from 5.5K) footage really isn't that much worse than R5 4K HQ and is much better than R5 4K LQ.

Third, I don't need 8K or Raw. Too heavy files, too much editing processing power needed.

Fourth, although 45MP could be useful, 20MP will do just fine.

The only real downside I see for my needs is the poor RS and a warmer yellow tint on the R6.

Anyone else agree/disagree? Oh and yes I know about the overheating & the A7S3 😅

Welcome back...its' been awhile. I pretty much posted all of my thoughts on the R6 on the following thread, which is here: 

And I ended up with the Panasonic S5 which is perfect for my uses in every way (except AF of course) so this thread may be useful as well:

Bro I think you know that the R6 will be a great option for you. Think of what you’ve had to work with using canon in the past. You’re getting 4K 10 but super 35 with PDAF. Despite all the limitations I think that’s all you really need, realistically. If you have 2K laying around I’d definitely get the R5 but I don’t think it’s something you need or will really miss not having. My two cents. 

I have the R5 and the 1Dx III but not the R6 but the 1Dx III being somewhat similar (probably the same) sensor I may help a bit.

R5 FF 4k vs 1Dx III FF 4k is very similar as you say but the rolling shutter is a huge difference.

R5 4k 120 is miles ahead of 1Dx III 1080 120….. not even fair.

R5 4k LQ is miles ahead of 1Dx III 1080

On the processing of RAW vs. 10bit other than on an M1 or waiting on the new intel CPUs the RAW is way faster in Resolve PC. RAW is much faster. The problem for is mostly storage so it depends on your usage and archiving strategy. I would suggest downloading some files 10bit and RAW and compare on your machine.

So far I never hit the recording limit of the R5 and I mostly shoot RAW or 4k 120. But here is cold and I do a lot of 1-2min max takes with breaks in between. Before I was turning the camera off between takes now I don’t bother anymore.

But having say that not sure I would live with the R6 risk that I cannot shoot 4k…….. as I said 4k LQ is way better that full hd actually imo is a solid 4k….

R5 big plus:

- Rolling shutter

- RAW

- very usable 120fps

- Non overheating 4k modes FF and S35

R6 plus:
- cheaper
- 4k 60fps quality

Are these worth 2k more? Only you can really answer this.

@herein2020 so it seems your main gripe with the R6 was overheating. you do mention in that thread you are in a warm/humid environment. it does seem climate affects the issue in combination with the artificial timers. But yeah overheating seems like a serious potential setback on this camera, especially for a hybrid shooter like myself.

@gt3rs Yes those are my conclusions as well. (Canon) RAW is just not my thing, I have only used it once on the C200 and that is Canon RAW light. I can't fathom dealing with 8K RAW file sizes. But of course, it is there on R5 as well as 8K and those are nice future proofing features. The upcoming firmware with Clog3 & RAW Light is also promising. Now 4K120p, that is definitely something nice. I love super slo-mo shots (who doesn't?). Also having a 4K (LQ) fallback option is indeed surely a BIG advantage on cameras prone to overheating. 

I guess R5 is worth the asking price even though I could do away fine with an R6 (considering I'm upgrading from an EOS R).

47 minutes ago, Django said:

The upcoming firmware with Clog3 & RAW Light is also promising.

Not sure about the story of RAW Light:

Canon C500 II 5.9K RAW data rate 2100 MBits

Canon R5 8K RAW data rate 2600 Mbits

So per pixel R5 is more light than RAW light on C500....

14 hours ago, Django said:

I'd assume so but who knows with goofy Canon. Regardless the (10-bit) oversampled 4K is what I'm after in the R6..

By the way, here is a review that sorta made me consider the R6:

All the hate on the R5 and R6, but dang this footage looks better then any other camera in the same price category. I will be over these camera's when the footage can be edited smoothly on my machine, the DR is somewhat improved with CLOG2 and the overheating problem gets fixed with a firmware update (and also a pricedrop, as they are kinda overpriced atm in europe). 

5 hours ago, Django said:

@herein2020 so it seems your main gripe with the R6 was overheating. you do mention in that thread you are in a warm/humid environment. it does seem climate affects the issue in combination with the artificial timers. But yeah overheating seems like a serious potential setback on this camera, especially for a hybrid shooter like myself.

@gt3rs Yes those are my conclusions as well. (Canon) RAW is just not my thing, I have only used it once on the C200 and that is Canon RAW light. I can't fathom dealing with 8K RAW file sizes. But of course, it is there on R5 as well as 8K and those are nice future proofing features. The upcoming firmware with Clog3 & RAW Light is also promising. Now 4K120p, that is definitely something nice. I love super slo-mo shots (who doesn't?). Also having a 4K (LQ) fallback option is indeed surely a BIG advantage on cameras prone to overheating. 

I guess R5 is worth the asking price even though I could do away fine with an R6 (considering I'm upgrading from an EOS R).

Agreed, and as I'm sure you know...the timer counts down even if you are using just the photography features, I did not stick around long enough to see if newer firmware would add a few min more. Also, lets not forget Canon has never said CLOG3 is coming to the R6...without it you won't get to film using the full DR that the sensor is capable of.

2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

All the hate on the R5 and R6, but dang this footage looks better then any other camera in the same price category. I will be over these camera's when the footage can be edited smoothly on my machine, the DR is somewhat improved with CLOG2 and the overheating problem gets fixed with a firmware update (and also a pricedrop, as they are kinda overpriced atm in europe). 

Just get the Apple M1, H265 for days. If the R6 had the rolling shutter performance of the R5 I’d buy it.