Fujfilm Product Announcements - 27/01/21

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Well then...

GFX100S highlights are :

• Weighs 900g, so 500g lighter than GFX100 in a 30% smaller camera body 
  • Shutter and IBIS re-designed from GFX100
  • 6 Stops of IBIS
  • Faster AF, speed of 0.18s with PD working at -5.5EV, improved face detection is now 50% faster
  • New film simulation called "Nostalgic Neg"
  • $6499 and available next month

Not seen the full spec sheet but video looks to have been left untouched from GFX100 but that remains to be confirmed.

I wish they would bring a 27mm with f/1.4 or f/2 ... or for Sigma to finally port their three APS-C mirrorless primes to X mount now that the protocols are being available to 3rd party manufacturers.

It's obviously a first world problem but I want a fast lens between 23mm and 35mm. Currently using the EF mount Sigma 30mm 1.4 ART lens on a Viltrox mount adapter but it's bigger & heavier than I'd need to and obviously isn't great from AF perspective.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, Phil A said:

or for Sigma to finally port their three APS-C mirrorless primes to X mount now that the protocols are being available to 3rd party manufacturers.

There was a lot of chatter last month to suggest this may be happening sooner rather than later.

With Tokina and Viltrox doing AF lenses for X mount, I can't see why Sigma won't be far behind so it might actually happen this time but I think the same chatter was around in 2018 so take it with a pinch of salt.

12 hours ago, independent said:

Fuji and Sony bringing back 420 recording like it's 2019

One is medium format, the other is 8K. It'd be nice if they could do 4:2:2 but the processing power necessary is too much I'd imagine. 

This is a huge release, and I am kind of surprised that it hasn't gotten more attention here. Medium format video at this price is insane. This is a game changer and a sign of things to come, even if people don't realize it right now. 

13 hours ago, independent said:

Fuji and Sony bringing back 420 recording like it's 2019

Not all cameras from then were 420.  

10 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

I'm going to start a company making chocolate-bodied cameras and I'm going to call it Fudgefilm.

Over(h)eating may be an issue.

da0ee4914945c29a5c89bed9c24b46e3.jpg

• Super Members
2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

This is a huge release, and I am kind of surprised that it hasn't gotten more attention here. Medium format video at this price is insane. This is a game changer and a sign of things to come, even if people don't realize it right now. 

After spending a bit of time with @Andrew Reid last year looking at his GFX100, it definitely put itself at the top of my "forever" camera list and one of the pleasant surprises was how much frame coverage was possible with the various FF lenses that we put on it and how adaptable it was in terms of AF adapters for not only EF but Nikon F, which would be a big factor for me.

Obviously the price of the GFX100 was eye watering (relative to FF but not other 100mp MF cameras !) but if I squinted a bit I could still see it as "affordable" if not a flat out "bargain".

To now be able to get the imaging part of the GFX100 in a smaller and lighter form factor for 40% off is huge.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

I'm going to start a company making chocolate-bodied cameras and I'm going to call it Fudgefilm.

Over(h)eating may be an issue.

I'm going to start a company making cameras that are purpose built for intrusive doorstep photography of autocratic leaders.

Hasslevlad.

2 hours ago, Xavier Plagaro Mussard said:

This has been the 6000$ week, am I right?

Yup. Both beyond my means or needs.

I think I could make a case for either as single hybrid camera with a zoom, but I'd be limiting myself at one or both ends and would still need a back up kit.

Both seem pretty superb. For those with deep pockets.

I think I'd be more tempted with the Fuji, but temptation is but a fading memory these days...

22 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Yup. Both beyond my means or needs.

I feel worse about not being rich that I can't buy original jazz 50s/60s LPs or travel all the time. We are arriving at a point of no human being able to tell the difference. High resolution plus HDR, equals a window. We could end in a situation where audiovisual content has no artistic look anymore. 

58 minutes ago, Xavier Plagaro Mussard said:

I feel worse about not being rich that I can't buy original jazz 50s/60s LPs or travel all the time. We are arriving at a point of no human being able to tell the difference. High resolution plus HDR, equals a window. We could end in a situation where audiovisual content has no artistic look anymore. 

I don't know about that. In many ways, I'd rather have a mega clear window that I can make as dirty as I like, than a window that's dirty to begin with. I could film something today, give it to 100 different editors and they'd all make it look different. In fact, I can grade something myself today and tomorrow decide I don't like it and create a whole new look.

Maybe that's where the artistry will lie? Rather than filming on a grainy 16mm filmstock and assuming that makes you an artist.

You also need to factor in lighting and set design etc. which plays a huge part in the quality of the final image. Plenty of artistry to be found, even if you're looking through a window.