Sony Product Announcement - 26/01/21

BTM_Pix

Via Phil Holland: difference in sensor area between the R5 and Sony A1 for 8K UHD. R5 is a bit larger, 33.75x18.98 (38.72mm image circle) vs. Sony's 31.91mm x 17.95mm (36.61mm). So the Sony has a 1.06 crop compared to the R5. 

That might not seem like a lot, but I've shot in tight spaces like cars, bathrooms, closets, etc. and every mm counts that's what she said

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/26/2021 at 3:35 PM, DFason said:

Few things to note. They did not blast demo units to YouTube people. This is incredible. For someone that has invested in Sony glass over the years it is great to have a versatile hybrid camera by Sony. I am looking forward to seeing more over the coming months. 

This is the first Sony video that I've been impressed by the look. Same color as the FX series with Cinetone. I like it! 

This video looks terrible!  Not the content, which looks absolutely bloody amazing, but the quality of the image itself.  The very first shots are full of banding, and there was more banding and aliasing throughout the whole video. Yes I watched it at 4K. 

I am certain the camera is excellent, and it is just Youtube's compression that is to blame, but with that much compression what is the point of using such an expensive camera? A GH4 or A7III would literally look the same by the time Youtube is done with it

On 1/26/2021 at 3:35 PM, DFason said:

Few things to note. They did not blast demo units to YouTube people. This is incredible. For someone that has invested in Sony glass over the years it is great to have a versatile hybrid camera by Sony. I am looking forward to seeing more over the coming months. 

This is the first Sony video that I've been impressed by the look. Same color as the FX series with Cinetone. I like it! 

Truly and without a doubt the best camera demo video I have ever seen.  Sony may have finally figured out that having random YouTubers who call themselves cinematographers shoot demo cat video footage with their flagship cameras wasn't doing them any justice. I hope they do a BTS on the making of this video, I'd love to see how much rigging was needed. I remember the C300III BTS, they used about $200K worth of rigging and a full production team for their demo video and it didn't come close to comparing to this.

2 hours ago, RawZion said:

This video looks terrible!  Not the content, which looks absolutely bloody amazing, but the quality of the image itself.  The very first shots are full of banding, and there was more banding and aliasing throughout the whole video. Yes I watched it at 4K. 

I am certain the camera is excellent, and it is just Youtube's compression that is to blame, but with that much compression what is the point of using such an expensive camera? A GH4 or A7III would literally look the same by the time Youtube is done with it

No, it won't. In any case, it is to blame the delivery as you say. The point is: the worse acquisition, the lower quality.

It sounds to me when people were used to tend to believe there was no point to shoot film if you'd deliver in video tape. That's not like that. Your content will decidedly benefit from higher quality capture. The less, the worst...

E. :- )

9 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Truly and without a doubt the best camera demo video I have ever seen.  Sony may have finally figured out that having random YouTubers who call themselves cinematographers shoot demo cat video footage with their flagship cameras wasn't doing them any justice. I hope they do a BTS on the making of this video, I'd love to see how much rigging was needed. I remember the C300III BTS, they used about $200K worth of rigging and a full production team for their demo video and it didn't come close to comparing to this.

I think you're forgetting the Hurlbut stuff...

https://www.hurlbutacademy.com/lighting-the-ticket/

:- )

35 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Truly and without a doubt the best camera demo video I have ever seen.

I thought it was a good hype video for sure. I mean, I was hyped after seeing it. Not hyped to buy an Alpha 1 though 😂 Definitely puts the other camera manufactures videos to shame.

3 hours ago, RawZion said:

I take any image quality comparison or evaluation from YouTube with a huge lump of salt. YouTube is pushing out lowest possible bitrate 8-bit video it can get away with.

6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I thought it was a good hype video for sure. I mean, I was hyped after seeing it. Not hyped to buy an Alpha 1 though 😂 Definitely puts the other camera manufactures videos to shame.

I take any image quality comparison or evaluation from YouTube with a huge lump of salt. YouTube is pushing out lowest possible bitrate 8-bit video it can get away with.

I was hyped and I'll probably never own a Sony 😀, actually I'm still hyped right now 30min later and had to watch it again. One thing the video did do for me...it reminded me that some of the recent threads already complaining about its recording limits, shortcomings in data rate, etc....all seem really silly right about now. The camera is capable of producing incredible footage in the right hands and its abilities probably far exceed those of anyone complaining about its technical limitations.

On 1/26/2021 at 11:38 PM, tupp said:

US$6500... ouch!

Luckily it's an opt-in situation... 🙂

On 1/26/2021 at 11:59 PM, IronFilm said:

Your turn now Panasonic!

Give us a Sony A1 but with the smaller 4/3" sensor in a GH6 and at the low price of $1995! 8K 10bit? 4K 120fps 10bit? Yes please!

Indeed!  GH6 for the win!!  

Seriously, a GH6 is the only camera that I would contemplate upgrading my GH5 for.

On 1/27/2021 at 2:59 AM, Emanuel said:

Filmmaking is not (nor should) be a show off from (any) gear specs to us salivate over anything in the path of the show. It's just another one, a new camera won't bring you more skills to your craft (E :- )

Filmmaking is time and how skilful you're able to manage it. Other than that, amateurism in any of both senses.

Film-making is like any other technical field, there are people who are interested in what the equipment can do, and others who are interested in using it for bragging rights.  

On 1/27/2021 at 3:44 AM, gt3rs said:

It seems a very solid and interesting release but as always devil is in the details:

- 8k max 30min... 4:2:0 only, this we know
- 4k FF is it oversampled or binned/line skipped? S35 they mention is oversampled from 5.8k but no mention for FF
- 4k 120 FF is 10% crop
- 30fps still shooting seems jpg only, still RAW is max 20fps
- mechanical shutter max 10fps, for sport with LED not great

You forgot the 1080p specs.

Ah, don't bother.  The GH5 has been killing it for many years now and releases since mostly can't touch it, and this camera is only US$6500 so......

2 hours ago, kye said:

Indeed!  GH6 for the win!!  

Seriously, a GH6 is the only camera that I would contemplate upgrading my GH5 for.

As a fellow Panasonic shooter, I'm gonna need them to really deliver something big with the GH6. They need to meet the markets expectations on things like AF because even though that's not a huge selling point for me personally it is for the future of the M43 system. As someone that's heavily invested in that system I need them to keep innovating and stay relevant, otherwise I need to consider making a switch while my equipment still has value. Others in my shoes have already gone the Sony route but I'd really like to stick with Panasonic if they can give me a reason to. Right or wrong, the reality is that it is hurting Panasonic when the legionz of vloggers and influencers whine about the auto focus. It's not helping them sell cameras. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

As a fellow Panasonic shooter, I'm gonna need them to really deliver something big with the GH6. They need to meet the markets expectations on things like AF because even though that's not a huge selling point for me personally it is for the future of the M43 system. As someone that's heavily invested in that system I need them to keep innovating and stay relevant, otherwise I need to consider making a switch while my equipment still has value. Others in my shoes have already gone the Sony route but I'd really like to stick with Panasonic if they can give me a reason to. Right or wrong, the reality is that it is hurting Panasonic when the legionz of vloggers and influencers whine about the auto focus. It's not helping them sell cameras. 

I've thought a few times about what a GH6 would have to have to be better than the GH5 for me, and there's not many things TBH.  Of course, I'm not the kind of person who these 24K - 300 FPS - internal RAW - 48fps burst - eyelash AF - 8kg - $12599 cameras seem to be aimed at.

I have stuff invested in MFT too, but would happily re-buy a GH5 if mine broke and if I felt the need to change platforms then it would be far enough in the future that the FF camera I would buy with enough features for me wouldn't be that expensive and the lenses available are just getting more and more available and affordable.

I had a burst of FOMO around FF just recently, thinking that if I even change to FF then the lenses that I'd want might be vintage primes and might all be too expensive at that point and I'd have missed out, but I kind of realised that there are enough good FF lenses available new that I could get a 'good enough' set, and partially compensate with filters.

Still, if someone gave me one of these new A1 cameras then it would be great - I'd sell it and buy more interesting vintage lenses 🙂

11 hours ago, RawZion said:

This video looks great to me, I dont see any image problems. (the other videos from the sony dont look as good)

12 hours ago, RawZion said:

Watching it in the highest resolution helped but I agree, its Youtube. I always wonder why these videos are not on Vimeo too. 

On 1/28/2021 at 1:10 AM, Nerv said:

More than a C70 or Komodo...which of the 3 would you chose for video work...

None of them!
I'd get the Sony FX6 instead, as it is the same price / cheaper than them, yet will be: a) in higher general demand b) & a more pleasant shooting experience.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I remember a problem with the A9/A9ii that didnt have 'picture profiles' in video (possibly linked to the electronic shutter.) 

How about this A1?

Far be it from me to say they deliberately crippled the A9 but they are certainly included this time.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-1/specifications

///

PICTURE PROFILE

Yes (Off / PP1-PP11) Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, S-Cinetone, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 (800%), S-Log2, S-Log3, HLG, HLG1-3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset

///

• Super Members
44 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

The specs on this camera seem almost insane - I guess there will be a catch. Shouldnt it suffer from overheating?

The 8K being 4:2:0 is one catch if 8K is the primary reason for buying it and the mechanical shutter is still on the low side for one of their target markets compared to the big two's flagships.

With regard to heat, the 30 minutes limits are there but who knows in reality how much variance there will be in real use in different environments.

One thing that is quite interesting is that this launch has not been backed up with the flurry of 'Embargo has passed, prepare the gurning thumbnail and lets get my "comprehensive review"of the camera up NOW!' YouTube videos.

I think that might well be Sony being mindful of what happened to Canon with the R5, as running the same overheating tests that they were eventually forced into doing after so not including them in their initial breathless "reviews" of the R5 it would now be mandatory for any credible reviewer.

That doesn't necessarily mean there is anything suspicious in the a1 regarding overheating but by keeping the camera out of the hands of YouTubers (even if by way of extending their publishing embargo for a couple of weeks) then Sony will at least be able to keep any possibility of it being the talking point about the camera for a while and killing the launch buzz!