Sony Product Announcement - 26/01/21

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Maybe a step for Sony to be the first to eliminate the mechanical shutter in their cameras. I can see them taking it out of their next A7S camera and replacing it with their eND + IBIS technology.

If they can tame the bad aspects in most situations, and it looks like they have done a lot to do that with this one, then after spending more than the cost of this camera replacing the mechanical ones in my D series cameras over the years then good riddance as far as I'm concerned !  

This looks amazing, however I can't afford it with the current pandemic workload.  Which is ultimately good because I'll be able to see what problems other people have with it.  My only complaint with the A7SIII was the sensor was too lo-res for cropping or photography, so this seems to have solved that problem to be the ultimate hybrid camera.

9 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

At twice the price over R5 I don't see there is shame in that, now its Canon's turn with the so called global shutter and qpaf..

I agree only on a half with you, the other half Canon should be ashamed per se crippling their clientele basis on full access to the whole potenciality of R5/R6 technology : )

I had planned to buy a single or even a couple of them and I did not yet.

Me and many others I am aware of...

And I am not buying their high-end either so all the power to put them on shame :- )

20 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I agree only on a half with you, the other half Canon should be ashamed per se crippling their clientele basis on full access to the whole potenciality of R5/R6 technology : )

I had planned to buy a single or even a couple of them and I did not yet.

Me and many others I am aware of...

And I am not buying their high-end either so all the power to put them on shame :- )

Yeah all you do is planning and researching, haven't see you post anything about the stuff you buying or using, it's mostly stuff from YouTube.

This year I m definitely geared more to livestreaming so will get some gears toward it.  (I tried the atem mini and l1 switcher, might tempted for the iso) , tried mars 400s and 300 pro and might get 400 pro cause you can use usb-c to ethernet input so max 5 camera!

My friend, I have so few time to fulfill everything I have in hands to handle atm, aside the pleasure I get to be here participating with you in this geek vice of mine, I do my best trying to put my delayed stuff on track that I still have a pack of that couple of Zenfone 7 Pro units still on hold before a compelling unbox for 10 days now, go figure time towards a proper test : D It's a pity but that's actually my real life :- )

Filmmaking is not (nor should) be a show off from (any) gear specs to us salivate over anything in the path of the show. It's just another one, a new camera won't bring you more skills to your craft (E :- )

Filmmaking is time and how skilful you're able to manage it. Other than that, amateurism in any of both senses.

38 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Filmmaking is not (nor should) be a show off from (any) gear specs to us salivate over anything in the path of the show. It's just another one, a new camera won't bring you more skills to your craft (E :- )

Filmmaking is time and how skilful you're able to manage it. Other than that, amateurism in any of both senses.

Of course everyone say that, but unfortunately that wont drive much traffic nowadays, open box photos get more likes than actual photos shot with said gear.

It seems a very solid and interesting release but as always devil is in the details:

- 8k max 30min... 4:2:0 only, this we know
- 4k FF is it oversampled or binned/line skipped? S35 they mention is oversampled from 5.8k but no mention for FF
- 4k 120 FF is 10% crop
- 30fps still shooting seems jpg only, still RAW is max 20fps
- mechanical shutter max 10fps, for sport with LED not great

There is no doubt this is one incredibly amazing camera, and if any vendor could manage to sell something similar under $2,000, they’d own the market.

But at this price point this is way out of most people’s pockets and squarely into the Pro territory it is obviously aimed at.

I wonder if the market is ripe for a new vendor to come in and do something great at an irresistible price point (RED was my hope for that a few years back, then BlackMagic Design)...

Few things to note. They did not blast demo units to YouTube people. This is incredible. For someone that has invested in Sony glass over the years it is great to have a versatile hybrid camera by Sony. I am looking forward to seeing more over the coming months. 

This is the first Sony video that I've been impressed by the look. Same color as the FX series with Cinetone. I like it! 

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

WOW This will put Canon on shame and on move for sure...

I don't think so, Canon is already working on the R1; this is in the 1DXIII price territory so its not a direct competitor to the R5, the A7SIII is more of a competitor to the R5. The R1 will be Canon's answer to this camera both in price and functionality.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Your turn now Panasonic!

Give us a Sony A1 but with the smaller 4/3" sensor in a GH6 and at the low price of $1995! 8K 10bit? 4K 120fps 10bit? Yes please!

I thought the exact same thing...except the MFT part. Panasonic is dependent on Sony for their sensors, so if they are able to use this sensor in a next gen S1H (and change their AF system).......oh never mind who am I kidding, Panasonic will never change their AF system; but anyway if they were to make a S1H II with this sensor that would be interesting...but probably at least $5500

6 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

no release date? Did I miss it?

59 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I don't think so, Canon is already working on the R1; this is in the 1DXIII price territory so its not a direct competitor to the R5, the A7SIII is more of a competitor to the R5. The R1 will be Canon's answer to this camera both in price and functionality.

They say March.

£6500 is about €7300 but not US$6500 even if with VAT included.

There's a big difference to not compete with the R5:

...it's not crippled.

It really seems that 4k FF is not oversampled only S35 is but the spec are so cryptic..... also no 8k DCI or 4k DCI.

Nice thing is 1/400 flash sync with mechanical shutter, the EVF seems also great.

I don't like that it has no articulating screen as is much better imo for gimbal like ronin S etc..