Panasonic VariCam 35 - 4K and 14+ stops dynamic range

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's nice to see Panasonic come up with a new codec. The data rates on 4K are getting ridiculous. Think about 880 Kbps ProRes. That's 110 Megabytes PER SECOND! That's huge!

I was doing a little reading about H.264 recently, and the new features support 444, 422, and 10 bit.

Microsoft also added these codecs to Windows 8.1.

Looks awesome.  I particularly like what looks to be the built-in 15mm rods along the side of the camera.  Fantastic!

Edit: actually looks like a separate unit, perhaps a custom cage made specifically for the camera.

It's nice to see Panasonic come up with a new codec. The data rates on 4K are getting ridiculous. Think about 880 Kbps ProRes. That's 110 Megabytes PER SECOND! That's huge!

I was doing a little reading about H.264 recently, and the new features support 444, 422, and 10 bit.

AVC-Intra Class 4:4:4 supports up to 12 bits.

There is no hardware decoding though. None at all, as far as I know. Even though 10 bit is widely used for the past 3 years there was no interest at all in implementing hardware decoding for it. Imagination Technologies (PowerVR) have finally implemented something last year, but I don't think there is a mobile chip that supports it. Let alone solutions for desktop computers. AMD _might_ be working on it.

Which means all that 4K decoding will have to be done by the CPU, which will be busy enough anyway...

Oh, and Premiere Pro CS6 seems to fail at 10 bit too.

Btw., perhaps, well, hopefully what Panasonic does is use XAVC by Sony, which already has 10 and 12 bit support. I'd rather have camera makers agree on a common standard.