NAB rolling news update - Atomos firmware for native 24p on Nikon D800 / Canon C500 official specs sheet

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ninja.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.atomos.com/ninja/firmware/"]Download the firmware here[/url]

Atomos have released a firmware update for the Ninja ProRes recorder to make it Nikon D800 certified. It is now able to obtain a true native 24p progressive feed from the Nikon D800! No more interlaced. They say quality in this mode is very good. I don’t yet have a D800 (or the Ninja!) so can’t test this for myself but if any readers are willing to give this a go, be my guest.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/?p=7916/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Canon is doing really strange things. The C-500 (at least on paper) is actually a huge BARGAIN compared to the Alexa or Epic. Even if it were $35K, that's super cheap compared to the Epic and Alexa for what you get.

The C-500 is to the high end, what the 5D2 was to the lower end

It's like Canon is trying to undercut the very high end with an incredible camera that is priced drastically lower than the competition, YET they've completely FORGOT about the low to mid-end range ($3K to $8K) and the customers who bought a million 5D2 and 7D2 from them, who wanted a better camera and were willing to pay around $7k.

The higher up's in Canon video are really off target. They should be fired.

The 1D-C is going to tank unless it has a huge price drop.

• Administrators
[quote author=gene_can_sing link=topic=576.msg3900#msg3900 date=1334324276]It's like Canon is trying to undercut the very high end with an incredible camera that is priced drastically lower than the competition, YET they've completely FORGOT about the low to mid-end range ($3K to $8K) and the customers who bought a million 5D2 and 7D2 from them, who wanted a better camera and were willing to pay around $7k.[/quote]

Yeah it is a big shift away from their core market. I would have thought a company the size of Canon could focus on more than one market at once.

[quote author=Tim link=topic=576.msg3946#msg3946 date=1334378913]
I've got my D800 pre-ordered so this is great news about the Atomos update.
But which should one get? The Atomos Ninja or Samurai?
Any thoughts?
[/quote]

I suppose that depends on whether the rest of your camera equipment is outputting via HD/SD-SDI; if not, you're adding an unnecessary step in your workflow by choosing the Samurai.

Both the Samurai and Ninja are essentially the same product, albeit with different input options: with the Nikon D800  and most other consumer-grade cameras outputting via HDMI, you'd probably be best going with the Ninja.

[quote author=gene_can_sing link=topic=576.msg3900#msg3900 date=1334324276]
Canon is doing really strange things. The C-500 (at least on paper) is actually a huge BARGAIN compared to the Alexa or Epic. Even if it were $35K, that's super cheap compared to the Epic and Alexa for what you get.

[/quote]

Have you read the specs on the Epic?  The Epic is 5K with 12 and 16 bit RAW.  Your statement is like saying a T3i is the same as a 5D.

Not sure how many of you were at NAB and saw the Canon 4k theater? I was very disappointed when the price was announced for the 1D-C, just seemed way out of line. Then I saw "The Ticket" in 4k DP'd by Shane Hurlbut. It was by far the best digital footage I have ever seen produced by ANY camera at any price. I couldn't believe it was recorded on-board to Compact Flash. Just stunning stuff and there was no way you would ever know it was 4:2:2 8 bit. This camera can never be considered a B camera to the C300, that's just silly, not even sure the C300 could be a B cam to the 1D-C. I had the pleasure of meeting Shane and talking briefly about the camera and he truly loves it, even more than the C500 which also produces and Alexa-like 4k image - stunning. After seeing the footage from both cameras my opinion about the pricing changed - I now think they are both bargains and far better choices than any other camera out there(of course they aren't even shipping yet)

I had the privilege of working the C500/ AJA KiProQUAD display at the AJA booth all week and really believe this camera will also be a huge game changer. For big FX films or any high-end production relying on lots of green screen, compositing etc. the C500 combined with the KiProQUAD will be revolutionary in both quality and price. You'll be able to capture 4k ProRES 444 and 4k RAW .dpx frames (massive 45MB per frame) at the same same time. FX Supervisors are gonna love this set-up!

But for me, like Shane, I love the DSLR form factor, I'm a run and gun kinetic type of shooter and the 1D-C is now on the top of my list for my next feature. It's a true game changer and I can't wait to start shooting with it...