Slider - "must have", or meh...?

jnorman34

12 minutes ago, Grimor said:

Thanks! ?

Jaja!

I have no experience with those kind of videos - real estate video it was? I just watched it on my phone without sound and very hastely, and there were too many gimbal shots! Personally, I missed a few tripod shots, but maybe it was me.

What was your equipment gimbal/camera/lenses.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Grimor said:

In fact, now with electronic gimbal, if you are in a hurry,  you can fake a slider shot  or a crane shot with very decent result. 

Well, I sincerely WISH that were true Although if you saw the results of me trying to mimic a slider using my a6500 on my Zhiyun crane gimbal, you might not think that they are "very decent results".

I think that most of the people who get really good "slider" shots from their gimbals are mounting the slider on to a tripod and then panning the tripod Which is ok I guess but I would rather just put a slider on the tripod and a quick release plate on the camera, gimbal and slider and do it that way.

Setting up a slider though is just SO MUCH MORE TIME CONSUMING that I often just do my slides with my gimbal.

51 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Thats what I meant with "overused".

While I think I understand your point, in real estate, you are already giving the agent / client still photos 99% of the time.

So you can either give them a "Ken Burns" style video, or a walkthrough style video, which is what they prefer.

So it certainly may not be your cup of tea, but if the person who is paying the money wants it, then I say give it to them.

3 hours ago, Grimor said:

I said "in a hurry" so real thing are a proper slider, crane or fluid head.

In this video, i faked all sliders and cranes with a Ziyun crane 2.

Good job.

I am going to have to try some of the jib / crane style shots in my videos too.

25 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

What was your equipment gimbal/camera/lenses.

GH5, Zhiyun Crane 2, manfrotto tripod with fluid head and Dji 550 drone (with gopro).

Really don't think it's a superb video, but with 2 hours for 2 apartments, including drone shot, thats the best way i find.

And this is my first "real state" and i think is the easiest money you can make in the video world.

3 hours ago, Grimor said:

GH5, Zhiyun Crane 2, manfrotto tripod with fluid head and Dji 550 drone (with gopro).

Really don't think it's a superb video, but with 2 hours for 2 apartments, including drone shot, thats the best way i find.

And this is my first "real state" and i think is the easiest money you can make in the video world.

I know. Wish there was such an industry here.

I did some hotel corporates and real estate photography. I did use a crane and used a couple of its shots (front entrance), a few slide shots, and drone.

Maybe buy a good ultra wide, and try a fake (or 2!) timelapses, something with the sky and clouds running in fast speed (a few minutes could be enough, if lucky with the clouds).

If trying to do a slider imitation with a gimbal you could always shoot in 60p and slow the footage down. You can get some pretty slow movements with practice. Having a lens with OIS helps and having a two handled attachment for your gimbal also helps. 

I could see it getting pretty tedious if you have to do a ton of slider shots though, might be easier to buy one at that point. 

21 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If trying to do a slider imitation with a gimbal you could always shoot in 60p and slow the footage down. You can get some pretty slow movements with practice. Having a lens with OIS helps and having a two handled attachment for your gimbal also helps.

True! I would also suggest that shooting at 30fps and putting the footage on a 24fps timeline also helps with gimbal / fake slider / fake jib shots in general (my a6500 has pretty nasty 1080p so I am often reluctant to shoot it at 60fps).

5 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

True! I would also suggest that shooting at 30fps and putting the footage on a 24fps timeline also helps with gimbal / fake slider / fake jib shots in general (my a6500 has pretty nasty 1080p so I am often reluctant to shoot it at 60fps).

Yeah the A6300 1080p was truly terrible. For some reason the moire was just off the charts. 

On 2/27/2014 at 3:40 PM, jnorman34 said:

How many of you use a slider regularly?  Do you consider it a "must have" piece of kit, or have you decided it is too much to carry around for minimal benefit, or do you manage to achieve slider type shots with some other technique or piece of gear? 

If I purchase one to try out, can I achieve a decent result with a shortish slider, like 24" or 30"?  This will be for documentary work shooting buildings, engineering features, etc, and I need to keep my kit lightweight and easily portable, as I often have to hike quite a distance to get to certain sites.  I assume to get the best effect, you want to place something in the foreground to provide perspective for the sliding action, correct?

Is there a reasonably priced slider you would recommend for me to try?  thanks.

If I were buying a slider, I’d get one like the edlekrone pocket. You really don’t need much for a majority of slider shots IMO. But since buying a gimbal, I’ve never touched my slider. I’d say get a gimbal instead. 

Chris

26 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Get a 9 Solutions C-Pan Arm... google it!!!

Thats what I’m craving right now...

Really nice, but the big one is 2100 Dollars. Gulp. Does a lot of neat stuff no doubt.

https://www.amazon.com/9-Solutions-C-Pan-Arm-Camera-Guide/dp/B01HC7NU1O

The Mini is not too bad.. 650 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/9-Solutions-59200259-Mini-C-Pan-Arm/dp/B073VY75MQ