Slider - "must have", or meh...?

jnorman34

On 2/27/2014 at 5:22 PM, Ben Prater said:

If you need a portable slider, go with the Edelkrone series. They do a cool trick that keeps them very compact. 

https://www.edelkrone.com/us/p/287/sliderplus-pro

I had the original Edelkrone slider one. The size and build quality was great but overall for the price I thought it was pretty shit.

Sliders can add a nice aesthetic to your footage but since its another thing I have to carry around, I usually only use them inside the studio. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I always wanted the edelkrone, but could never justify the price. I then saw this knockoff on indiegogo (ismartta.com) that was half the price, and actually better thought out . I got mine for 259usd. It is now up to 399. Still cheaper then the edelkrone though. Pretty good reviews on youtube. 

14 minutes ago, Carz said:

I then saw this knockoff on indiegogo

Me too, but it is really short. Apart from this look at the report at 8.40 

Also, this:

”Bad news: Several backers reported that they received defective units. After looking into the video, we found that mostly this was caused by rough handling of parcels. Because each slider worked fine, we did test and confirm this before sending out each package.”

I really don’t need something as fragile as this.

2 hours ago, Carz said:

I always wanted the edelkrone, but could never justify the price. I then saw this knockoff on indiegogo (ismartta.com) that was half the price, and actually better thought out . I got mine for 259usd. It is now up to 399. Still cheaper then the edelkrone though. Pretty good reviews on youtube. 

The Edelkrone is extremely cheap for what it is, which essentially is the smallest and lightest such device that really works, with incredible after sales support.

I bought the original SliderOne, and a few months later they released a newer version (the Pro), I asked them if I could return the old one and get the new one, and they just did it!

I asked them also to send it before a particular job that I needed it, and it was here in time.

There is always someone asking emails in 1 working day, also and they update their apps quite regularly.

I have used the SliderOne Pro and Surface Pro with 5DmkIII and the 24-70mm just alright. Very convinient to use alone as well, on the field, I am just having one on a tripod and I could shoot moving footage, or just having it on a tripod for tripod shots.

This is easily the best buy of the last couple of years. Most modern cameras produce excellent image quality for most jobs, but this makes shots I couldn't do possible and raise production vues significantly.

I need to play more with the time lapse feature also, but usually do not have the time in a paid job (I rate by the day and hours).

4 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Could be totally wrong but sounds like Edelkrone's SliderOne Pro + Motion Box would be all you need. The Flextilt Head 2 is a useful add as well. Either way with the slider/motion box you get continuous slides, ramp up/down parallax motion, timelapse, stop motion, etc all controlled via bluetooth/smartphone + the entire system's footprint is about the size of a 70-200mm lens. I've never had need for anything else.

Yup, I have this set up. I think it is important to have the motion box as well as the slider because I find the slider itself a bit short to add much 'effect'. The software works well and the app is pretty intuitive - but the price is pretty difficult to justify. I use it and like it mostly for timelapses....

21 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Yup, I have this set up. I think it is important to have the motion box as well as the slider because I find the slider itself a bit short to add much 'effect'. The software works well and the app is pretty intuitive - but the price is pretty difficult to justify. I use it and like it mostly for timelapses....

24 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The Edelkrone is extremely cheap for what it is, which essentially is the smallest and lightest such device that really works, with incredible after sales support.

I bought the original SliderOne, and a few months later they released a newer version (the Pro), I asked them if I could return the old one and get the new one, and they just did it!

I asked them also to send it before a particular job that I needed it, and it was here in time.

There is always someone asking emails in 1 working day, also and they update their apps quite regularly.

I have used the SliderOne Pro and Surface Pro with 5DmkIII and the 24-70mm just alright. Very convinient to use alone as well, on the field, I am just having one on a tripod and I could shoot moving footage, or just having it on a tripod for tripod shots.

This is easily the best buy of the last couple of years. Most modern cameras produce excellent image quality for most jobs, but this makes shots I couldn't do possible and raise production vues significantly.

I need to play more with the time lapse feature also, but usually do not have the time in a paid job (I rate by the day and hours).

So do you think it's worth it for the price? Haven't shot moving timelapses yet. And already have a gimbal so Im debating if I should get a SliderOne Pro or just a Rat Pack slider, which is pretty cheap but no automatic slider futuristic goodness :lol

Sliders - if you need one then make sure it's smooth. This in reality means either motorised control or some kind of motion control like a flywheel or Edelkrone's friction attachment. I think though the popularity of 'slider-shots' is on the decline which is not a bad thing as they were often used to add something of interest to a bad shot and have now become a cliche and as has been said by someone else their use in 'moving through a space' shots has been replaced by Gimbals. 

Just now, Grimor said:

In fact, now with electronic gimbal, if you are in a hurry,  you can fake a slider shot  or a crane shot with very decent result.

Yes and you are not limited by the track length of a slider either. Also I believe they do very good panning shots as well. so a ( good) fluid head can be left at home.

1 hour ago, Shirozina said:

Yes and you are not limited by the track length of a slider either. Also I believe they do very good panning shots as well. so a ( good) fluid head can be left at home.

No.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sliders, drones and gimbals are all over used when first becoming popular and will later on fade a bit to be used only when needed.
Personally I can't stand unnecessary gimbal shots and don't get me started on drones :)

Yes.

I use a slider quite regularly - I bought a manual one at first, but have now replaced it with a 2 axis motorised one. Its great for corporate work and products shots etc.. I've tried to use my Ronin S to give slider like results, but it's not easy. I've not done much in the way of motion time-lapse yet - but it can work really nicely if not overused. 

24 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Why?

No In my experience every tool is not really replacable, especially good fluid heads and motorized sliders.

Yes : from time to time there are tools or techniques that become in fashion and are been overused for some time. There are videos that consist with 85% or more with drone shots, same when the cheap Konova's were in fashion a few years ago, gopro before that, you name it.

8 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

No In my experience every tool is not really replacable, especially good fluid heads and motorized sliders.

Yes : from time to time there are tools or techniques that become in fashion and are been overused for some time. There are videos that consist with 85% or more with drone shots, same when the cheap Konova's were in fashion a few years ago, gopro before that, you name it.

Sorry I wasn't clear  - I meant replaceable for certain actions such as a long dolly shot in an interior where a gimball could do a better job than a short slider ( or even a track) and a motorised slow pan (depending on the gimball) may do a better job than a fluid head and be easier to operate by an inexperienced operator. To be honest I'm not too informed as to how much pan and tilt motion control you get with modern gimbal setups but theoretically they could do these moves. I do know how hard it is to get smooth and steady movements with even a good fluid head and that a good fluid head isn't cheap.