Canon on EOS R5 video users

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

eos r5 canon video users comments.jpg

“I don’t think video-focused users are driving the reputation of this new product”

Haha.

I had a good smile at that comment, but then I realised the missing 4 grand hole in my bank account is still there.

Canon exec. Interview:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canons-tsuyoshi-tokura-on-eos-r5-controversy-i-dont-think-video-focused-users-are-driving-the-reputation-of-this-new-product/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well at least everything he said was obvious from the minute that Canon put in a fake overheating timer, refuses to offer dual slot recording for anything below a cinema camera, and also refuses to put any real video tools into their mirrorless line. It wasn't so obvious in the marketing material leading up to the release of the R5 or R6 but their real  view of their consumer and their cripple hammer plans were made pretty clear shortly after release; cue the C70 anyone?

The best thing Canon did for me was helped me gain a greater appreciation for Panasonic's S5, S1, S1H, VLOG, and endless video features. 

Yeah, if folks haven’t figured it out by now... Canon is gonna Canon. It’s an overtly abusive approach to product lineup/development from a customer perspective, but it’s just their chosen philosophy.

I follow all camera release news aggressively, because I find the technology advancements very engaging, but there’s no way I’d jump in on a multi-thousand dollar piece of kit before it has been well proven out in the wild, because all camera companies have their weak spots. They’re just tools, good tools will prove themselves through use. Canon makes some good tools, even if the peripherals are less than honest. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t be called out or pushed to change their approach, but it’s also important for consumers to step back and just take an objective look at the available tools, ignoring somewhat all the noise and baggage around brands, especially new release hype.

1 minute ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

Yeah, if folks haven’t figured it out by now... Canon is gonna Canon. It’s an overtly abusive approach to product lineup/development from a customer perspective, but it’s just their chosen philosophy.

I follow all camera release news aggressively, because I find the technology advancements very engaging, but there’s no way I’d jump in on a multi-thousand dollar piece of kit before it has been well proven out in the wild, because all camera companies have their weak spots. They’re just tools, good tools will prove themselves through use. Canon makes some good tools, even if the peripherals are less than honest. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t be called out or pushed to change their approach, but it’s also important for consumers to step back and just take an objective look at the available tools, ignoring somewhat all the noise and baggage around brands, especially new release hype.

Also, as much as many of us here on this forum hate what Canon did with the R5 and R6...the reality is that it is working for them; they raised their revenue guidance based primarily on R5 and R6 sales so clearly their target demographic simply does not care about their deliberate carefully engineered shortcomings. In the Canon world every user who wants to shoot video would own a C70 or above, if they want photography they would own an R5 or R6, if they want to shoot as a hybrid shooter than of course they need to own the C70, C300III, and the R5.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

“I don’t think video-focused users are driving the reputation of this new product”

Haha.

I had a good smile at that comment, but then I realised the missing 4 grand hole in my bank account is still there.

Thank you Andrew for the good laugh : ) I see your humor is in great shape ; )

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Canon on EOS R5 video users

Andrew's not wrong, but I'm not surprised by the corporate-speak. This is nothing new...execs want to maximize profits for the company. Why can't the a7siii turn off noise reduction? Why does the fx6 have crippled AF? Why does camera have a YouTube channel?

There's no question Canon wants to upsell customers on their cinema cameras or upcoming R1 or R5ii. Did Canon strike out by selling a flawed camera that nobody asked for? Tell them their strategy is wrong by voting with your wallet. 

But I'm guessing Andrew kept his R5; he does seem to like Ferraris over Fords. 

I have photographer friends who see nothing wrong with the Canon's strategy and they have R5s for still photography. I bought R5 for both stills and video, and this overheating limitation and the extreme cool down timer came as a total surprise. Tony Northrup was saying before R5 release that Canon will probably Canon it somehow and Canon did Canon it. I was optimistic when I preordered but it turned out to be different than I expected. I haven't done actively videos for Youtube channel anyway so it hasn't affected me so much yet. It just is annoying that the camera turned out to be limited on the video side. I was kinda expecting that Canon is evil, and Canon is indeed evil. But on the other hand, Canon does the best lenses, best AF and so on, and for still photography the R5 indeed is pretty much answer to our all wishes. If I buy a video-solution, for sure it is not going to be a Canon C-line product. I am not thanking them limiting my experience with the R5 by getting Cinema EOS no matter how good Cinema EOS they would make. I am instead hoping that Blackmagic would do dual pixel kind of AF to their future cameras and I could move all video production back to Blackmagic. Blackmagic is not evil, they are friendly to the small customers and they move fast (despite they have had quality problems in their cameras before, it is not intentional, they just have agile approach to silently overtake and dominate the world of video/cinema production for the whole ecosystem, from capture to production/editing, all of it, and do it with being friendly to small customers and not abusive like corporations).