Unsqueezing footage

iwander_lust

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From SLR Magic: http://www.slrmagic.co.uk/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/1/

Several methods exist for un-squeezing and working with 
anamorphic footage in your editor or effects software. You could specify a project resolution of 
2554x1080 and scale your footage to match the project's width (footage must be shot in 16:9 
ratio). Or, if you're primarily interested in uploading to the web you could instead specify a 
project resolution of 1920x812 and scale your footage to match the project's height (footage 
must be shot in 16:9 ratio). 

I've moved back to Final Cut 7, I'm new to editing and I find it much easier to use.  (I might make the jump to adobe premiere)

Buying my first anamorphic lens has really helped me start understanding my Canon 7D much better.  I'm used to being on the other side of the camera, so all of it this is very new and exciting, perhaps a bit frustrating at times but still.  This forum and it's members has been a great help to me as well.

I'm shooting on a super takumar 50mm, with an isco ultra star.  I can't seem to get the lens aligned properly, either that or I'm unsqueezing the footage wrong because the image is coming out a bit warped, almost fish eye.

1)I try to get the anamorphic lens as vertical as possible.  This doesn't produce the best image.

2)I've tried the flare method - however the flare "horizontal line" seems to stay in place as I move the anamorphic glass around, it just gets skewed.  So when I read to align the lens the flare line is horizontal, I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

3)I'm using Final Cut pro 7, shooting on a 7D.  The way I change the aspect ratio is start my sequence at 1920 x 720, then when I drag my clip on the timeline I change the aspect ratio to -50. (As per the the EOSHD anamorphic guide) for 2.66:1 to get a 1.5x squeeze.  I also uncheck the "Anamorphic 16:9" box when creating my sequence.

I'm linking a youtube video - It's out of focus but it shows 3 clips.  I have an LED flashlight lighting into the camera, and it shows me moving the glass around trying to get the flare horizontal.  The 2nd clip is the alignment I used by carefully eyeballing the anamorphic glass to be as vertical as possible on the taking lens - it still warps the image a little bit like a fisheye lens would. Hopefully this will help you guys give me an answer: 

Does it perhaps change across the focal range and perhaps this is the source of discrepancy?

I really think that the stretch figures x1.5 or x2 on these adaptors isn't an exact science & maybe best seen as a guideline.

But yes, focal range can affect the image in some cases & a good compromise is to conform it to 2.66:1 (no need to get too anal about it).

Also, after shooting a lot looking at 16:9 squashed footage, I find that my eyes play tricks on me & objects just start to look odd when unsqueezed if i don't walk away before reviewing the footage.

screwing around, learning premiere pro and magic bullet looks so excuse the poor color correction: 

notice how the vertical lines seem a bit slanted to the right?  and I'm not sure but it seems to me as if the whole video is tilted to the right

also, what seems to be the best way to export anamorphic footage? (codecs/output)

notice how the vertical lines seem a bit slanted to the right?  and I'm not sure but it seems to me as if the whole video is tilted to the right

also, what seems to be the best way to export anamorphic footage? (codecs/output)

You don't seem to have aligned your anamorphic lens properly, so you need to rotate it so everything looks straight.

If your lens flares then this is the best way to make sure its aligned properly - horizontal flares should be in line with the top/bottom of the screen.

I have tested mine at 58mm and 85mm and the results were pretty much the same at 1.41 stretch factor - at least with my lenses and setup - that would be a 70.9% squeeze. I have found several other reports online that confirm this as well. Unfortunately that gives you an akward 2.5 aspect ratio that I have been cropping down to 2.4 or 2.35, taking advantage of the extra resolution for slight reframing. Sometimes you can get away with using 1.5 but I noticed that 1.5 didn't look right when shooting people which is why I tested to begin with. I find that 1.41 looks way better in those situations and I can't bring my self to use 1.5 anymore since I know it is wrong. 

Download this and print it out on white paper. Tape the sheet on all 4 sides flat to a wall or door. Make sure the sheet & tripod are leveled (I used a big square ruler if that helps).  Line up the bottom of your view finder to the black boxes on the sheet and adjust until the lens looks about leveled. 

When testing my recent build I discovered not only was my glass misaligned by 2° but the front element wasn't flush with the step. In so many words I could see that my image was very soft & the focus was slightly shifted. So I took it apart and clean, greased, recalibrated everything.  Now the image is razor sharp and clean.  Need any help I can walk you thru it.