Which camera websites spy on you?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm glad you're bringing attention to this, @Andrew Reid, as everyone should at least be aware of who is tracking them and why. I have two Firefox addons, one is uBlock Origin for blocking ads, and the other is Blur for blocking trackers. I can confirm that the EOSHD main site has those two Google trackers (which Blur blocks), and the forum has 0. Blur blocks 9 trackers on SonyAlphaRumors even after opting out of cookies, and 67 ads are blocked.

It's worth pointing out that even if you are okay with being tracked, the richest companies and people in the world make their money off analysis of your data. It's worth considering whether you want to freely donate your data (which YOU pay for with electricity and internet bills!) to the wealthiest people on earth.

For an older guy like me, these examples are the reasons I'm a bit loyal to this EOSHD.  It's a website, not a marketing "platform." And the way it's run reminds me of the young-information-super-highway-idealism of what the internet had potential to be. 

Also, I especially like the irony that the title of the website is now an anachronism...in less than a decade.  And that titular company is routinely and harshly critiqued here.  That's simply something backwardly pure.  That would never exist if it had to get filtered through a corporate system; probably would have ad 3 re-branding launches by now if that was the case.

EOSHD, I guess, is kind of like visiting an awesome chef-run-restaurant in a town that only has corporate fast-food franchises in it.  You can get fed in both, but you can only get a proper meal from one.

• Administrators

Google's trackers for analytics on visitor numbers I will probably likely remove this weekend.

With Cloudflare I can keep an eye on traffic demands on the server via their CDN (content delivery network) and save bandwidth too.

With every free service like Google there is always an advertising or metrics related catch, i.e. we end up selling them our data.

PS

If everyone dumped shitty WhatsApp and Messenger, and instead used Signal we could do one on the social networks too. Let's hammer this subversive advertising industry.

3 hours ago, Matins 2 said:

The whole web experience seems to have gotten worse compared to 15 years ago in terms of bloatedness, genuine content, censorship, tracking and search results.

Web today our biometrics tomorrow.

“Andrew Reid identified. He looked at product 4321 in bay 7 in aisle 9 for 30 seconds longer than normal. Show ad to him before he leaves the store”

What annoys me is when I browse a website and thanks to all the ads my CPU utilization hits 100% and the machine becomes even more non-responsive than when doing a video render.  I get that it's how many pay the bills, but there has got to be a more efficient, less all-consuming way of doing it.  In consequence I recently finally started using an ad-blocker, which many sites quickly detect and complain about.  So I move on.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:14 AM, newfoundmass said:

Yeah, I don't visit any of those rumor sites but when I do I always use incognito mode. I get its how they make their money, but fuck that. 

If internet has proved something is that the same people who buys a 45.000€ BMW car or has a 1200€ iPhone, refuses to pay 12€ a year to read a website. Even if s/he thinks it is the most interesting website ever. 

10 hours ago, Xavier Plagaro Mussard said:

If internet has proved something is that the same people who buys a 45.000€ BMW car or has a 1200€ iPhone, refuses to pay 12€ a year to read a website. Even if s/he thinks it is the most interesting website ever. 

I'm a subscriber to multiple sites like the NYT, I just have no interest in supporting ones that do what the ___Rumors sites do. The people that run them aren't real journalists that make a living off of the talent of the written word, and web hosting is cheap so it's not like their overhead is expensive. They just do it because they're greedy and are trying to squeeze as much money out of their visitors as possible. 

There's no reasonable reason that SonyAlphaRumors has 9 times as many trackers as DPReview, which has multiple employees. 

I find the world less insane outside of the Google-FB-Twitter Universe. I have been planning to get a feature phone for the longest, and perhaps use it on weekends. Even Apple isn't really safe. That was the breaching point in all HK and other protests. If they can do it for one government or organisation, they could do it for anyone. And Google keeps you locked into an ecosystem where all major functions (search, OS, maps, video/youtube etc), is owned and controlled but the same company. 

I have noticed maps keep tracking you, even when you switch off GPS and disable the mobile data. Also, apps that ask for permission for camera and photo gallery during installation, probably take photos and videos, even when unnecessary. I am planning to block the front camera completely, since I take selfies quite rarely.

Tech companies probably know more about us, than our friends and families. Way more.