Camera owning plans 2021

MurtlandPhoto

On 1/20/2021 at 7:10 AM, kye said:

Interesting combo - BMMCC and A7S3.

Will you be grading the Sony to match the Micro, or the Micro to match the Sony?

I'd be very curious to see some test shots if you get a chance to shoot something you're allowed to share!

Personal work I am trying to match the look of the BM with the Sony. I really enjoy the look of the micro and the modern tech of the Siii. I love the look of the BM for interviews and would love to get the look on the Siii as well with AF being so damn good. Plus the ability to punch in if needed. 

I do a lot of product YT/IG ads that need the modern look that the Siii does wonderfully. I hope I can make the Siii a work horse like my 7iii and Rii have been for me. 

I will share a few clips in the coming weeks. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So far this year I have already picked up the Rokinon 10mm EF-S lens for my S5 for real estate shoots, two more expo discs so that I don't have to keep trying to remember to pack one in the right bag, a few more odds and ends from Smallrig to tweak my camera cage options, and 3 Falcon Eyes F7s for those times when you need just a little extra light or a 3 point lighting setup on the go for a single subject.

If DJI releases a Mavic 3 this year I may pick one up, but beyond that this year will probably be more of the same (small stuff) or maybe lighting....seems like you can never have enough lighting or audio gear. I am all set with white light (3 Godox VL300's, and GVM LED panels) but I wouldn't mind two more GVM RGB lights for backlighting / RGB lighting without gels. I also now need to sell my GH5 and all of my MFT lenses without losing too much on the deal.

I keep feeling like I need to replace my 5DIV for photography but only when I'm sitting here on the Internet or browsing Amazon. When I'm actually on a photo shoot there's no other camera I'd rather have in my hands for photography. If the R5 hadn't turned out the way it did my gear bag would probably look a lot different (two R5's and maybe even a C70).

On 1/22/2021 at 12:25 PM, herein2020 said:

So far this year I have already picked up the Rokinon 10mm EF-S lens for my S5 for real estate shoots, two more expo discs so that I don't have to keep trying to remember to pack one in the right bag, a few more odds and ends from Smallrig to tweak my camera cage options, and 3 Falcon Eyes F7s for those times when you need just a little extra light or a 3 point lighting setup on the go for a single subject.

If DJI releases a Mavic 3 this year I may pick one up, but beyond that this year will probably be more of the same (small stuff) or maybe lighting....seems like you can never have enough lighting or audio gear. I am all set with white light (3 Godox VL300's, and GVM LED panels) but I wouldn't mind two more GVM RGB lights for backlighting / RGB lighting without gels. I also now need to sell my GH5 and all of my MFT lenses without losing too much on the deal.

I keep feeling like I need to replace my 5DIV for photography but only when I'm sitting here on the Internet or browsing Amazon. When I'm actually on a photo shoot there's no other camera I'd rather have in my hands for photography. If the R5 hadn't turned out the way it did my gear bag would probably look a lot different (two R5's and maybe even a C70).

I am at that stage of just refining my kit with odds and ends.  I think this is a good place to get to because it means that you're actually taking feedback from how you work on real projects, and you're refining your kit to be the most useful to how you work.

In terms of new camera GAS, I'm thinking I should build a collection of great looking stills from videos I've shot just so that when I start going "maybe I need a...." I can just go look in that folder and remember how good the camera I already have is.  That can then me a kickoff point to thinking about lights and composition and things that may actually improve my images... 🙂 

2 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

Pixel 4a 5g or a used ricoh gr II

Pretty happy with eos R and D16 bolex for video.

I just miss the small size of my gx85 for stills

D16 would do it!

The GX85 is definitely a small package, but the D16 would fit in much more convincingly on the set of the original Star Trek, and I suggest that perhaps that's the more important criteria 🙂 

And already Sony have thrown their ace card into the mix.  Could be 2021 delivers a lot for camera owners, even over 2020; which lets face it, offered hope on a level, a bit like much of the year, didn't quite deliver always on the promise of its specs.  I'll be interested to see where technology takes us, as other manufacturers respond.  BM and Panasonic, I am speaking to you.

On 1/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, kye said:

D16 would do it!

The GX85 is definitely a small package, but the D16 would fit in much more convincingly on the set of the original Star Trek, and I suggest that perhaps that's the more important criteria 🙂 

In fact just before the pandemia i had to spend a day with Liam Neesson showing him our work around, but we only talked about "the mission". Photographer was using a hasselblad and video guy a  A7iii. 

On 1/27/2021 at 6:15 AM, ntblowz said:

I wish I put extra 0 for the share.. can definitely buy Sony A1 by now if I did.

142436933_322523845766786_7241175475118756238_n.jpg

Shoulda-woulda-coulda.

I remember hearing about this funny thing called "bitcoin" that was a "virtual currency" and people were generating them with their home computers.  I contemplated setting up my home PC to generate some.  I was also contemplating SETI@home, but never got around to either of them.  My thought was that if I did I'd just run it all night and all day when I was sleeping and at work.

I genuinely have no idea when that was, but I remember when it hit the news that you could buy a pizza with bitcoin I had already heard of it, so it was even before the pizza buying days.  

Had I done it, not lost the digital wallet, not got robbed, and not had a ego-centric-rockstar-complex-related-breakdown from getting rich, I probably would have been a billionaire by now.

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, kye said:

Had I done it, not lost the digital wallet, not got robbed, and not had a ego-centric-rockstar-complex-related-breakdown from getting rich, I probably would have been a billionaire by now.

Or thrown away your hard drive and have to offer the local council £50m to let you dig up their landfill site...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/14/man-newport-council-50m-helps-find-bitcoins-landfill-james-howells

• 1 month later...

I went with a Sony FX6.   The Phantom LUT’s(which are also available for the A7siii) are pretty nice.  I’m not really a fan of the DSLR/mirrorless/still cameras and their handling as I don’t do stills professionally.  So far so good....it’s a good camera for sure.

My Pocket 4k is killing it. I used to be in an endless journey of finding the next best thing (which was nurtured by this website), and this beast just took care of that itch completely. I've been shooting nonstop with it since I got it, and I think I'm set for the next decade, until it starts having problems and a newer pocket 4k shows up, smaller with IBIS and full-day battery life.

But the photographer in me is looking for a high megapixel camera that is value for money (I strive to do large prints for exhibition). I'd love to jump on the Fuji GFX 100s, but it's still too expensive for me. I'm hoping Sony or Canon releases something along the lines of 80 to 100 mp by June. I have the Samsung NX1 to sustain me till then.

1 hour ago, SR said:

But the photographer in me is looking for a high megapixel camera that is value for money (I strive to do large prints for exhibition). I'd love to jump on the Fuji GFX 100s, but it's still too expensive for me.

This is where the hi res mode in Lumix cameras is your friend and one of the reasons I went S5.

4k 50p. Check. It’s APSC crop though? Great...for me, my preferred focal range is between 50-100mm FF so ideal.

24mp stills which are more than enough for social/event work. Check, I don’t need or want 50mp+.

What about a hike into the mountains or a commercial shoot where I want/need a hi res shot for ultimate detail? Flick of a switch (and a tripod) and there is a 96mp raw file pretty much on par with the medium format Fuji. But the MF Fuji can’t do 24mp stills or 4K 50p so as a pony, does less tricks.

I’m in the compact, do as much as possible, in one single as cost-effective package as possible camp.

I know I risk sounding like a Panny fanboy, but I’m commending the tool not the brand.

I’ve said it before and will say it again and that is IMO, pound for pound, other than the less than stellar AF for video tracking, this little beast is hard to beat at anything.

52 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

This is where the hi res mode in Lumix cameras is your friend and one of the reasons I went S5.

The high-res mode is still a tad problematic for me. It's fine if you have a still subject, but problematic if you're using flash or shooting people.

1 hour ago, SR said:

The high-res mode is still a tad problematic for me. It's fine if you have a still subject, but problematic if you're using flash or shooting people.

Oh yes, it's rubbish for that!

But how high res do you need to go for that kind of thing?

Maybe higher than 24mp for your needs, I don't know but you can print a billboard poster with a 12mp camera.

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

What made you go down that path?
Was the price unbelievably good?

Kind of an impulse decision. It was an even trade for my Zcam S6 rig, which I had for sale.

I do think the RED image is really nice. Small things like the focus peaking and monitor latency are also top notch on the RED.