Camera owning plans 2021

MurtlandPhoto

On 1/14/2021 at 5:03 AM, Emanuel said:

Next Pocket. Next Insta360. Next Mavic Pro.

I definitely feel you on the next pocket from Blackmagic. i sold my pocket 4K one year ago and took the Panasonic S1H and S5, and though they totally are excellent for my work (mainly interviews, mini dos etc.) i really miss the Braw and the filmic look of the pocket cams. i will definitely watch for the next iterations of these cameras. But one thing's for sure, I'll keep my Panasonic bodies, cause I am realy confident about the next iteration of the S bodies.
Also I keep an eye on the GH6 cause I feel it will be the last of its lineup so they might make it a little video monster.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Trankilstef said:

I definitely feel you on the next pocket from Blackmagic. i sold my pocket 4K one year ago and took the Panasonic S1H and S5, and though they totally are excellent for my work (mainly interviews, mini dos etc.) i really miss the Braw and the filmic look of the pocket cams. i will definitely watch for the next iterations of these cameras. But one thing's for sure, I'll keep my Panasonic bodies, cause I am realy confident about the next iteration of the S bodies.
Also I keep an eye on the GH6 cause I feel it will be the last of its lineup so they might make it a little video monster.

Have you considered trying Prores RAW on the S1h? Now that I got the new Mac M1 I’m really considering it. 

3 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Have you considered trying Prores RAW on the S1h? Now that I got the new Mac M1 I’m really considering it. 

I left Mac computers 2 years ago and i am very satisfied with my PC. 

But yeah the problem is premiere pro is such a shitty editing software when it comes to ProRes Raw. I've made some tests but it doesn't edit properly, the software crashes every 5 minutes, it's laggy, etc. I hate it so for now I won't touch prores raw again until it's fully usable in Premiere pro. 

I have a powerful computer but premiere is a piece of shit for prores raw editing. 

5 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

Blackmagic and Panny match my fav inventory the same *thumbs up* :- )

None. 

I've discovered that for 90% of the shots I want to get, an incredibly modest EM10III does the trick.  If the other 10% is mission critical, I rent.  If not, I simply suffer not being able to do certain visual tricks.  So-mo, heavy grading, etc.  Which, as I've also discovered are just tricks, not really a big part of fundamental storytelling/production.  The burden of not being able to do something actually keeps me more visually "honest."

Weirdly, I just don't fret about tech limitations too much anymore.  Didn't think that was going to happen so suddenly, but for me it did.

I saw the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra does 8K video, so will look into the bitrate for that. Probably too low or probably have to do just short clips. Otherwise, will continue waiting for an 8K Fujifilm camera (maybe the XH2 or maybe we are still a couple of years away). May get their XE4 for street photography and a bit of 4K.

Not sure why I wasn't allowed to edit my post after about 5 minutes? I added some research about the Samsung phones 8K. Anyway, last years did it too. I forgot to work out bitrate from file size but will look it up. I will leave out the source link this time in case that is why the edit failed:

"According to Samsung, one minute of 8K video on a Galaxy 20 will have a file size of 600 MB"

On 1/14/2021 at 1:06 PM, Anaconda_ said:

Speaking of needing 3rd party tools to get the camera up and running - My plans are to wait and see whan BMD announce in April/May

Well, that plan didn't work. Found a crazy deal on a Sigma FP with a bag full of accessories (VF, shutter release, hot shoe etc.) So I now have that in front of me as my 'B-cam'. Looking forward to testing it out tomorrow and seeing how it holds up in the snowy streets.

One thing I'm already struggling with though, and perhaps people can help me (If not I'll ask in the FP discussion tomorrow) Is it possible to have different modes for Stills and Cine? I want Manual for Cine and Aperture Priority for stills.

With the menus being based on the setting your on, I kind of assumed shoot settings wouldn't change with the mode switch. Any help is appreciated!

Sticking with the GH5, G85 and GX85 for at least another year, probably longer. After 2020 I'm just not in a position to "upgrade" without going into debt, and honestly there aren't any cameras out there that really excite me for my work. Sony did really well with the A7siii but I'd need to either buy 2 or 3 because Sony doesn't really have much in terms of a solid b-cam. Their APS-C cams just don't have good enough stabilization and the rolling shutter is really bad for sports. 

I do expect I'll be jumping back into the Mac world given the performance people are getting with the new ones. That'll probably be the only big thing I'm going to spend money on this year or next. Just gonna see what they have in store. 

18 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

None. 

I've discovered that for 90% of the shots I want to get, an incredibly modest EM10III does the trick.  If the other 10% is mission critical, I rent.  If not, I simply suffer not being able to do certain visual tricks.  So-mo, heavy grading, etc.  Which, as I've also discovered are just tricks, not really a big part of fundamental storytelling/production.  The burden of not being able to do something actually keeps me more visually "honest."

Weirdly, I just don't fret about tech limitations too much anymore.  Didn't think that was going to happen so suddenly, but for me it did.

Couldn't agree more. AF is the only thing I feel like I'm missing out on but the Panny trio I have is more than capable for everything I need. I don't see how getting new cameras would improve things much at all. 

4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Got the perfect cams for my use, FS700, beautiful Cinealta!:) F3, Pocket Varicam Lumix S1. Total awesomeness. Happy as a resurrector of filmmaking can be (referring to the "who will kill filmmaking first"-thread:) Now, Panny, roll out that awesome update for the S1!

Yeah that panny update really sealed the deal for me. 

On 1/16/2021 at 12:28 PM, Chxfgb said:

Not sure why I wasn't allowed to edit my post after about 5 minutes? I added some research about the Samsung phones 8K. Anyway, last years did it too. I forgot to work out bitrate from file size but will look it up. I will leave out the source link this time in case that is why the edit failed:

"According to Samsung, one minute of 8K video on a Galaxy 20 will have a file size of 600 MB"

That's 80Mbps, which is nothing.  At 80Mbps the extra detail in 8K footage from 4K or even 2K would probably be more than half just noise and compression artefacts.  Potatojet did some good videos comparing 8K smartphone video with normal resolution video and the 8K image out of these things would still look like complete sh*t even if it was downscaled to 2K.  Watch the YT at 1080 or 720p and you can still tell the difference.

TLDR; don't bother.  It's like a 65MP jpeg image compressed to 24Kb, lots of pixels but they're all crap.

7 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Sticking with the GH5, G85 and GX85 for at least another year, probably longer. After 2020 I'm just not in a position to "upgrade" without going into debt, and honestly there aren't any cameras out there that really excite me for my work. Sony did really well with the A7siii but I'd need to either buy 2 or 3 because Sony doesn't really have much in terms of a solid b-cam. Their APS-C cams just don't have good enough stabilization and the rolling shutter is really bad for sports. 

I do expect I'll be jumping back into the Mac world given the performance people are getting with the new ones. That'll probably be the only big thing I'm going to spend money on this year or next. Just gonna see what they have in store. 

I did some tests yesterday on the GH5 modes and got pleasant surprise.  Obviously one of the great features of the GH5 is that the image is downsampled from the 5.2K sensor, but I confirmed that the 2X digital crop is also downsampled, the 1080p 60p mode is nicely downsampled, and the 1080p 60p 2X digital crop mode is also downsampled!  No Canon Cripple Hammer going on there!

Also, the better I get at grading the more that I find that the limitation of the camera is me, and so when people criticise, they're just criticising their own limitations and trying to buy their way out.  This was a quick test shot for highlight rolloff - graded in under 2 minutes so not perfect, but every time I look at the footage I forget about newer cameras..

1024156254_GH5DRmaybeCineDv2_1.3.1.thumb.jpg.e9e98063bc308877248ce1e4592e5e93.jpg

I am hoping to pick up the Mavic Mini 2, Osmo 2 and if they release a Mavic Pro 3, I'll be getting that too.  The Mavic Mini 1 was my only camera purchase in 2020 and its been very useful for grabbing drone shots when I am out walking.  I've been keeping busy during this no work period, filming on my P4K various places I've been to on my walks, including some local towns and cities.  

My other purchase last year was the 24 to 105 IS Canon lens.  A perfect compliment to my Pocket 4K, stabilising my hand held shots.  I've had great fun learning new colour grading techniques last year and the BRAW 4K is such a pleasure to grade, I wish my Panasonic cameras had the option to use this codec.  Even the ALL-I on the GH5s doesn't give me the same experience.  

I am pretty sure Blackmagic have something planned for this year.  Last year, the 12K URSA was too far put of my price range to consider, even if I did have work.  If they resume something more affordable this year, I'm in.

My plans, if this virus craziness cools down a little, is to get one of either a Panasonic S1H, a combo of Blackmagic P6K + Panasonic S5. But I am waiting to see the video specs of the coming Fuji GFX 100s. I am positive that for stills it will be a monster of a camera. If the video specs are interesting and if the price in Europe will be in the S1H range more or less, I may consider to stretch my budget and do a switch.

On 1/13/2021 at 4:29 PM, MurtlandPhoto said:

I told myself that I wouldn't make any major investments in 2021 and instead just let it ride with the gear I have already. Well, that thought didn't even last two weeks as today I bought a used Ursa Mini Pro G1. 

Update: I’m completely loving the UMP and feel I made the right choice to buy. I’m going to need to sell some stuff to offset the cost, but the value it adds to my kit is extraordinary. Woo!

1 hour ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Update: I’m completely loving the UMP and feel I made the right choice to buy. I’m going to need to sell some stuff to offset the cost, but the value it adds to my kit is extraordinary. Woo!

It’s a great deal used right now. I love the larger 1.4 crop S35 sensor.