Camera owning plans 2021

MurtlandPhoto

Things are in constant flux, but it does seem that productions in my region are amping up albeit with some good restrictions to keep people safe. I've spent the last 18 months or so making some major changes to my camera kit to adjust for COVID times and less work, but then right at the end of 2020 I got a bunch of work that shifted things back the other way. I told myself that I wouldn't make any major investments in 2021 and instead just let it ride with the gear I have already. Well, that thought didn't even last two weeks as today I bought a used Ursa Mini Pro G1. 

I've already got in my kit: BMPCC4K, BMPCC6K, Panasonic GH5, and Panasonic G9. I've been missing having an actual production camera after selling my C100 Mk2, so I don't feel horrible about this buy. But, I can't help feeling I jumped the gun a bit lol. 

Anyways, anyone have thoughts? And, what are your camera owning goals in 2021?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm sticking with the GH5 and concentrating on ironing out my colour grading and image processing workflow more.  Beyond that I'm thinking more about editing style and how to get better at that.

I watched the below videos recently and found them interesting, so they might be useful for those who aren't sure about what's good for what applications.

This guy rates cameras against a few different types of productions, and rates the A7S3, FX6, C70, Komodo, and threw the P6K in there too.

This guy rates cameras on a different scale and includes more cameras:

6 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Things are in constant flux, but it does seem that productions in my region are amping up albeit with some good restrictions to keep people safe. I've spent the last 18 months or so making some major changes to my camera kit to adjust for COVID times and less work, but then right at the end of 2020 I got a bunch of work that shifted things back the other way. I told myself that I wouldn't make any major investments in 2021 and instead just let it ride with the gear I have already. Well, that thought didn't even last two weeks as today I bought a used Ursa Mini Pro G1. 

I've already got in my kit: BMPCC4K, BMPCC6K, Panasonic GH5, and Panasonic G9. I've been missing having an actual production camera after selling my C100 Mk2, so I don't feel horrible about this buy. But, I can't help feeling I jumped the gun a bit lol. 

Anyways, anyone have thoughts? And, what are your camera owning goals in 2021?

Next Pocket. Next Insta360. Next Mavic Pro.

Well my work season is April-October and at the end of my 2019 season, I sold off my Fuji based collection of kit anticipating either starting new with something else in the Spring of ‘20, or going with an XT4 based system, but new/different lenses.

Then as we know, Covid hit and 2020 in my industry was effectively cancelled. I did 1/25 booked jobs and had to buy back some used kit to do that job.

I then sold it off intending to go S5 and late last Summer/early Autumn, seemed like an OK plan.

Got the body, the 20-60 lens (loathe to call it a kit lens as it’s better than that) and then the 85mm f1.8 and did 3x commercial marketing type jobs.

And then everything shut down again and has since been shut down and looks like it will continue to remain shut down for at least the first half of this year.

So I have planned out the rest of the kit that I need; another 2 bodies and a further 2-3 lenses, but not spending another single euro until such time I am within a definite 4 weeks of work starting back up again.

At a pinch, with no back up, I could actually do my job bare bones with what I currently have but it would be compromised.

Otherwise it is what it is and nothing I can do about it but it’s looking like best case scenario will have been 1 job in over 20 months if my market starts back up this Summer. And that it beyond crazy.

C50 specs are expected as:

• Super 35mm 4K sensor (same as the Cinema EOS C200)
  • No IBIS
  • RF Mount
  • Internal ND (10 Stops)
  • CLog 2 & CLog 3
  • 4:2:0 8bit internally onto SD cards up to 4K60 & 1080/120
  • 4:2:2: 10bit external in HD
  • No RAW
  • Dual LP-E6NH battery slot
  • Rumored US price: $3,299

Seems like a lot for 4:2:0 8bit internal. It's also expected to be a box camera, so on top of the price you also need a VF / monitor.

Speaking of needing 3rd party tools to get the camera up and running - My plans are to wait and see whan BMD announce in April/May and either wait for that, or pickup a second Pocket camera. Not sure about 4k or 6k yet, but will see what the prices do in the next few months and base my decision on that.

I am pretty happy with my S1. The only potentially NEW cameras that interest me really are if the a7 IV comes out and it is basically an a7 III with 10-bit 4:2:2 and maybe 4K 60fps, and probably more importantly, better ergonomics and menu / ui. 

Otherwise, still thinking of adding an S5 / GH5 / another S1 (instead of using my a6500 as a B cam).

I guess personally I am more interested in lighting and audio at this time. The S1 is pretty much a better camera than I am a camera man, so I have a lot of catching up to do before I find it deficient in any area for me.

Just bought an A7iii. Not because I really want it or rate it. I had a last opportunity to discount VAT (IVA here), the camera with a 50 1.8 cost 2100€ but with a 400€ cashback from Sony. Then discounting the VAT it comes in around 1350€. Why the A7iii? Because I have a new client and they only use Sony so hopefully it means more work (I've been told that if I had had a Sony I would have had several shoots in October and November). I just informed them of the purchase and they've just confirmed the first shoot of the year, so seems a good choice. Seriously thought about the A7Siii but I don't think this year is the time to splash out.

To finance this I have sold my GX85, Sigma 18-35 1.8 and a Sigma 50-150 2.8. I'm also selling a Canon 18-135, 2 Voigtlanders and 2 Edlekrone sliders. This will give me enough to purchase a Tamron 28-75 2.8 or a Sigma 24-70 2.8 for the Sony. I might well sell my 10-25 1.7 Lumix as well if I like the Sony enough.

I will keep my GH5 and GH5S with the 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8, XLR adapter etc for streaming and long form recordings. Lenses are easy enough to rent cheaply in Madrid if I need one.

So for me it's about rationalising my gear choices. If the Sony works out well for me I'd consider a A7iv depending on needs, specs and price.

P.S. What I really wanted to buy was the Panasonic S5 but I couldn't justify it rationally!

19 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Just bought an A7iii. Not because I really want it or rate it. I had a last opportunity to discount VAT (IVA here), the camera with a 50 1.8 cost 2100€ but with a 400€ cashback from Sony. Then discounting the VAT it comes in around 1350€. Why the A7iii? Because I have a new client and they only use Sony so hopefully it means more work (I've been told that if I had had a Sony I would have had several shoots in October and November). I just informed them of the purchase and they've just confirmed the first shoot of the year, so seems a good choice. Seriously thought about the A7Siii but I don't think this year is the time to splash out.

To finance this I have sold my GX85, Sigma 18-35 1.8 and a Sigma 50-150 2.8. I'm also selling a Canon 18-135, 2 Voigtlanders and 2 Edlekrone sliders. This will give me enough to purchase a Tamron 28-75 2.8 or a Sigma 24-70 2.8 for the Sony. I might well sell my 10-25 1.7 Lumix as well if I like the Sony enough.

Sometimes you've got to jump on a good deal and it seems like you made a smart move. I'm hoping my purchase of the UMP was made under the same sort of rationalization. Admittedly, as it's out for delivery today I've felt both relief and remorse haha. If I choose to keep it, I'll have to make similar steps to finance it, probably meaning selling my Nocticron and BMPCC4K to at least take a chunk out of the cost. Best of luck to you in the coming year!

52 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Sometimes you've got to jump on a good deal and it seems like you made a smart move. I'm hoping my purchase of the UMP was made under the same sort of rationalization. Admittedly, as it's out for delivery today I've felt both relief and remorse haha. If I choose to keep it, I'll have to make similar steps to finance it, probably meaning selling my Nocticron and BMPCC4K to at least take a chunk out of the cost. Best of luck to you in the coming year!

Cheers! Good luck with your sales and purchases! I had a week of troubled sleep before making up my mind! 

10 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm after renting an Ursa Mini Pro or a G2, do you have any recommendations where I can rent one in Madrid post plague ?

There you go:

https://www.falcofilms.com/es/145/id_cat-277/Cámaras.html?id_tree=277

This other company doesn't have those cameras but it does have others that might be of interest one day.

https://visualrent.es/categoria-producto/alquiler-camaras-cine-video-foto/

I'm sticking to my Pocket 4K and 6K and GH5 and GH5s.  I'd like to add a fullframe mirrorless, but I don't think I've the budget for that this year.  

Tempted by the C70, but can't see work at full-strength to justify that either.  If BM release something new, I may give that serious consideration.  A box camera from BM would be great.  

29 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Mmmm....I could use either of the Ursas they have as I'll just be testing code but for the extra €39 I might as well go large and rent the 12K !

Thanks for your help.

No problem! If you need help with anything in Madrid then let me know. 

I've got a C70 on order and might get an R5 for photos and occasional video. I'm going to try not to chop and change systems as much as I have in the past, just trying to keep things simple.

I've actually currently only got one cinema camera and one mirrorless camera, so I'm not doing too badly from a hoarding point of view.

I'd also quite like a new MBP with Apple Silicon when they release the larger ones.

That quite a lot to spend in all, but I suppose the theme is it's workhorse stuff and not exotic things like anamorphic lenses or buying 3 different mirrorless cameras on a whim (I have done this before).