CES 2021: Hybrid mobile laptop / tablet / eGPU by ASUS

Emanuel

• Emanuel changed the title to CES 2021: Hybrid mobile laptop / tablet / eGPU by ASUS
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The idea is a couple of years too late. Now new M1 macbooks will be cheaper, lighter and a more portable solution for video editing. There is just no point in sucn a monster. You either buy a desktop PC, or you go with Apple if you want to edit on the go. And you wait for new MBP 16 and 14 if you want more portable power. 

Apple really kicked in the nuts all other laptop manufactures with their chip. I just dont see any point to invest in a power hungry x86 based laptops anymore. I percieve them as last gen. Would be really nice to see the competition on Windows side with their ARM silicon as it should widen the price gap between Macs and PCs even more. 

In fact, they say tent mode is where the full power is. One of the modes providing extra airflow.

"Inside the docking station is Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3080 GPU clocked at 1810 MHz at 150W with ROG Boost and is cooled by a vapor chamber cooling system. This design increases the contact surface area by 54% compared to the traditional heat pipes."

source

And also here is an interesting review from the usual suspects.

"The cooling module is designed to draw fresh air from the bottom of the laptop, through open intakes over the two fans, and push it out through two vents placed under the screen, and an extra vent on the left side."

"As for the thermal design, illustrated below, Asus went with a dual-fan cooling module, with three heatsinks and a multitude of heatpipes. They also opted for the 2021-updated Arc Flow fans with asymmetrical blades, which increase airflow by up to 13% (official literature) without impacting noise. Furthermore, the laptop implements what Asus calls the 0Db technology, the ability to completely switch off both fans with light use on the Silent profile, as long as the CPU/GPU keep under certain temperatures."

image.thumb.png.148b84894eeab681d2293e730ec198b0.png

This looks ace, I would much prefer a 17-inch version though, as a 13inch screen is very small for working on...

then again i guess they'll just put a 3080 in the laptop for that... but i had heard about the low powered laptop 3080s being WAY slower than desktop models. And this one has the external one which I guess is desktop spec... hmmm

12 hours ago, jgharding said:

This looks ace, I would much prefer a 17-inch version though, as a 13inch screen is very small for working on...

Otherwise, I am perfectly fine from a 13" tablet computer screen coupled to a Thunderbolt 3 port right now ; )

This is a special unit for a very restricted use and nomad users of their own, you have everything else for whatever you're looking for : )

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/01/12/geforce-rtx-30-series-studio-laptops/

12 hours ago, jgharding said:

then again i guess they'll just put a 3080 in the laptop for that... but i had heard about the low powered laptop 3080s being WAY slower than desktop models. And this one has the external one which I guess is desktop spec... hmmm

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Quadro-RTX-5000-Laptop-vs-GeForce-RTX-3080-Laptop-GPU-vs-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080_9852_10474_10487.247598.0.html

And let's not forget RTX 5000 is a workstation GPU...