Anybody editing your dslr video on an iPad?

tjmsc

Hey there, I'm a software engineer and I'm looking to see if anyone in your community wants to help us hone a new prototype we're developing.  We're building a brand new product with the intent to offer a lot of functionality to people who lack the time, skills, or beefy hardware necessary to tell their story with video.

The product name is still TBD, but our code name is "Hammersmith". At this phase, Hammersmith consists of a strong prototype and we're looking for amateur video artists to help us focus on the features that would be the best value to users. If you're someone who's been looking for a way to optimize your video but you feel like desktop tools are either too expensive or confusing, we'd love to have you in our community of beta users.

This effort is just getting started. We're planning on giving people the opportunity to share knowledge and submit videos to the rest of the group (with some spirited competition for prestige and prizes mixed in). The best part for where we are is that both sides of the spectrum, frustration or complete success, will help us make the app awesome. I should mention that we also plan on providing a lot of help to those experiencing problems ;).

So, if you own an iPad and fit the mold of an eager amateur looking to take your video up a notch, we would love to get to know you. Our current mission is to capture true amateurs without a lot of experience using desktop tools, but we will definitely hold the names of others with more chops for when we expand our community further. Please take the time to go through this quick survey to get started https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LTB9NH9 

You can also write to me at tmarshal@hammersmith.mygbiz.com (my personal email), and I'll Answer any other questions you might have.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I always thought it would be extremely cool to edit video footage on a tablet. I am not an expert when it comes to computer technology, so I have no idea if it's even possible.

I mean just a simple timeline based NLE with the basic features of cutting, merging, soundtracks, and maybe an effects tab for color correction/grading -adding titles,

Is the tablet technology fast/strong enough to support such software? A mini premiere/vegas/FCP?

You don't need much power to cut, edit, color footage. You need a lot of power to render/encode your video. One solution would be to make an edit on your tablet and do the final encoding at home on a PC. I searched for android NLE apps, but all I could find was some automatic editors (why?) and some vfx apps. Android 4.0 had a video editor app, so it is possible. It could do basic cutting, trimming.

I always thought it would be extremely cool to edit video footage on a tablet. I am not an expert when it comes to computer technology, so I have no idea if it's even possible.

In case you own an iPad, why don't you find out yourself. FilmicPro works in an iPhone, too.

I've got it, and even though I think it's a nice video shooting and quick editing app, I haven't really used it that much. Filming and editing with an iPad/iPhone hasn't been my cup of tea, after all. But I'll give it another shot at some point, for the heck of it.

I understand that the 'ammersmith has a slightly different goal in mind, and I do find that somewhat interesting, but probably again not quite my cup of tea. I also have the FCP app for iPad, which is just a remote control for the desktop app. After a few tries in the beginning, I haven't really used it that much, either. Now I'm dreaming about the mightiest MBP as a more mobile editing station. 

However, this is not to discourage the people behind the Hammersmith, quite the contrary. I hope it will become something cool and usable, eventually. Maybe they will make an app that makes the concept of editing with an iPad more compelling.

@Quirky: ??? FilmicPro is a camera app, not an editor AFAIK. 

- You can edit video even on old iPads with the iOS versions of iMovie or Pinnacle Studio (the second is slightly better). All you need is the iPad camera connection kit and h264 video in a Quicktime or MP4 container on an SD card. Here's a video I shot on a NEX-5n, edited and uploaded on an iPad: 

@tjmsc: I think you're posting in the wrong forum. This is a place for people who do not feel overwhelmed by desktop video editors, but quite on the contrary think that they should have even better pro features...

@Quirky: ??? FilmicPro is a camera app, not an editor AFAIK. 

And?

The point was, if one has no idea, one can try shooting and then editing that footage with the FilmicPro app, all within iPad or iPhone. There are plenty of edited sample videos online, just google the name. Same goes for all the other video related apps for iOS. It's easy to figure things out oneself, so there's no need for guesswork. The FilmicPro app, for example, is not that expensive, and a nice to have app in anyone's mobile device.

This is a place for people who do not feel overwhelmed by desktop video editors, but quite on the contrary think that they should have even better pro features...

Agreed. On the other hand, those who know what they're doing with their NLE's would probably be able to tell what works and what doesn't in a mobile editor, too. Hence the choice of forum. He did mention he's looking for feedback from the amateur video artists "to help them focus on the features that would be the best value to users." I think that makes sense, and it was a fair request. So why not  giving them a hand.  

I just wonder why the first questions in that survey are our contact info, with no obvious way to opt out and carry on with the actual survey. People tend to be a bit wary about such things these days.

Not on an iPad but on an iPhone. I download MPEG files from my GH3 or GX7 via WiFi to my iPhone. Build the video in iMovie, ( which now let you place B-roll over narration) after the video is complete I uploaded it to our server via Videolicious. Which put a header and bug on it.

@Quirky: I must have missed something, but the Filmic Pro app that's installed on my iOS devices doesn't seem to offer editing.

Okay fine, it is not literally an editor, it's mostly a shooting app with rudimentary 'editing' capabilities. I used the term very loosely. But for an app that works in a cellphone, too, it does have some useful features. When you can trim the footage after shooting it, adjust and choose several shooting modes and resolutions, add effects, adjust the bit rate, and then upload your piece to Facebook of YouTube, to the average cellphone point and shooter that's like 'editing.' 

My focus was on doing the shooting with the device, too, which I believe would be the likely choice for the majority of the target audience, not just the editing, which is still a bit awkward, IMO. Regardless of one's skill level. I was aware of the iMovie for iPad, but like said, not quite my cup of tea. Yet. The limitations of the device and workflow make it a bit clumsy and awkward. A laptop would be handier. For now.  

But shooting with the device and then editing that footage within the same device is another matter, IMO, and for the shooting and preprocessing part the FilmicPro is a nice option. Worth giving it a shot, to find out whether or not video with the iPhone/iPad is worth pursuing in the first place. That is, apart from the usual wireless monitoring and triggering.

I for one found shooting with a large-ish tablet sort of funny, but suppose one could get used to it. Especially when there will be more 'rigs' and clipons for the iPad, too. There already are some.

Who knows, perhaps after  phoneography, the next big thing will be cinematabletography,.  :)

Seriously, I think that I'm not quite getting you:

Okay fine, it is not literally an editor, it's mostly a shooting app with rudimentary 'editing' capabilities. I used the term very loosely. But for an app that works in a cellphone, too, it does have some useful features. When you can trim the footage after shooting it, adjust and choose several shooting modes and resolutions, add effects, adjust the bit rate, and then upload your piece to Facebook of YouTube, to the average cellphone point and shooter that's like 'editing.' 

As far as I know, you can't trim and adjust footage or add effects in Filmic Pro - or did I miss anything in the app? 

iMovie is a decent basic editor for iPhone and iPad. Haven't tried editing DSLR footage without transcoding, however since 1080p is supported it should work (issue might be space on device).

The iPhone 5S has fairly powerful 64-bit CPU and decent GPU (in our app, Twrrl, we capture 1080p video, decode an H.264 video (with a synthesized alpha channel), composite the videos together along with GPU video and CPU audio effects, then write to a compressor at 1080p on the 5S (in real-time)).

Have previously and continue to on occasions use Pinnacle Studio & TouchEdit on ipad 2 & ipad Air, when out and about.

Canon DSLR h264 including ML higher bitrate, edits fine on Pinnacle Studio, TouchEdit and iMovie for ipad. What would be great would be an EDL export though, TouchEdit does provide FCPXML export.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Apparently there are in fact editors for tablets! Are these any good? Imovie/pinnacle/touchedit- Do they perform the basic editing functions? Just picked up the Ipad Air and would be happy if there's any kind of an NLE to try

I have always thought touch technology should be implemented in the editing world. I dont think it would be a mobile thing in the beginning but imagine having a 32 inch monitor on your desk slightly slanted with a full NLE that is touch base. You could get rid of your tools and simply use hand gestures for trimming and slipping etc. It would be very intuitive and almost a seamless transition. We have all grown accustom to touch screen devices so why not push it for editing. It truly would be game changing for post production. If someone just came out with a monitor and versions of our favorite NLE's optimized for touch it would be incredible. It also brings the more tactile aesthetic of cutting a film or project like it was in the days of film, allowing the editor to become more emerged into his or her project. 

I've played around with iMovie and the Pinnacle Studios app on an iPad. They work considerably well and even used the Pinnacle Studios app to edit something that was a low-paid gig and only used in a bar video display. Looked great! There's even a grading app that works surprisingly well, considering. I think it's called VideoGrade. 

That reminds me, one of the reasons I got a Nikon D5300 recently is that I can transfer it's small, compressed video files right to the iPad via camera connection kit, and do basic editing with titles, and inter-app shared audio mixes, while on the road.

I tested that I could transfer the files, do a basic grade, then edit on the iPad, but forgot about it. Need to play with that again because I'd like to do some live stuff from the road while traveling on a motorcycle. Wouldn't want to carry extra storage and a laptop for that. 

You can transfer GoPro footage to the iPad too, and it too looks pretty good, especially for web delivery. Only, it seems you're limited to standard frame rates, ie. I don't think the iPad would recognize anything except 24p, 30p, 720 & 1080. There may be a few others that work, but I'm pretty sure the 60p from the D5300 is recognized at such and remains 60p even after camera connection kit transfer. Will need to reverify that though.

The day i can monitor on an IPad/Surface is the day i will buy an iPad/Surface.

As a director/AD, the Surface is great tool while shooting for shot list/script in split screen side by side, real, full version Excel, and real filesystems and Skydrive.

If it had monitoring abilities, and were just a bit smaller, it'd be the perfect filming companion.

As a director/AD, the Surface is great tool while shooting for shot list/script in split screen side by side, real, full version Excel, and real filesystems and Skydrive.

If it had monitoring abilities, and were just a bit smaller, it'd be the perfect filming companion.

It's got USB 3.0., so it should be able to handle a lot of inbound data.  I wonder if it's possible.