Bitrate hack for nikon d5100/d7000

Nikkor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Simeon released an alpha patch for the D5200: https://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1801

It has not been tested yet, does anyone feel like some risk in their lives? I will probably do it, but I have a couple of shoots that I need to get out of the way first...

Wow! This is all becoming rather exciting!

BTW I'm getting interesting results from sharpness tests with my not-hacked D5300: 24p (about 22mbps) seems to be considerably softer than 50p (about 35mbps). So may bode well for the D5200 (& D5300???).

I don't want to spam the thread with videos but you can see my D5300 tests here: https://vimeo.com/channels/690011

I'm not confident yet if I'm right. I'm going to do a D5300 24p vs 50p test soon. I won't be getting out any test charts though I'm afraid ...

I did a resolution test of the D5300 24p (24mbps) vs 50p (35mbps) because I was sure I'd been getting sharper results with 50p. I hadn't (extra bitrate is just for frames I guess):

Doesn't 24p@24mbps have more data per frame than 50p@35mbps?  

i.e. 24mbps/24 frames per sec = 1mbp frame 

35mbps/50 frames per sec = 0.7mbp frame

Yes but bitrate doesn't always translate into resolution.

Also, if you're looking for resolution in the moving image (rather than a freeze frame) that issue is negated anyway because the eye is getting more information per second with 50p. The brain sees more resolution in video than in a still frame (this is why you can project 1080p video on a 60ft screen and it looks OK, whereas if you blew a 1080p still up to that size it would look like crap).

Regardless, I can't see any real difference in resolution here at all myself.

comparison video on vimeo with download option please  :)

I don't have fast internet atm. You can do it yourself. Once tested on one camera it probably is as safe as upgrading to an official firmware update.

I updated the mainpost, the d5200 patch doesn't break your camera but the changes to bitrates it is supposed to do have no effect at all, so it's nonfunctional for the d5200 at this point.

Really exciting, i've the nikon d5200 and a Sandisk 32gb 45mb/s (hope will be enough for all hack). Maybe we have just to wait the beta version, the d5200 is supposed to be just right now the best cheap option (even if 3300 introduce now 50/60p, so the d3300 could be the best cheaper solution in a few weeks..).

Anyway: can we have in the first post the guide how to hack our cameras? I know for nikon d5200 alpha version is useless. But a general guide could be useful

Whoa that is fantastic, if they are getting that much out of a D5100 so they could get even higher frame rate from the latest Nikon expeed camera. Imagine a 120 fps Nikon D3300 $ 600 Camera LOL.

Another thing is that they are getting better knowledge of the code by the day and things like RAW is a possibility (would have prefered 10 bit high bitrate codec). 14 stop DR for $ 800/$1100 camera, that would be awesome. I don't know if the Nikon D5200/D7100 sd card interface would have the speed for at least 1080p raw.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...