Bitrate hack for nikon d5100/d7000

Nikkor

The guys over at nikon hacker have managed to change the bitrate options on many nikon cameras.

Higher bitrates produce cleaner movements, cleaner shadows, clean details.

The result is an image that can take more grading and sharpening without producing artifacts.

http://nikonhacker.com/

Current hacks (video related):

Nikon Patch v1.18.1 BETA  (26/02/2014)

current limitations : 

-recording time is reduced (2x bitrate, 1/2 recordingtime)
-on-camera playback of videofiles does only work with lower bitrates and depends on card speed although it is not perfectly clear.

(green has been tested on actual hardware, orange has not been tested, red is experimental,pink is nonfunctional) 

No guarantee, strictly at your own risk

I will try to keep the list up to date, check the nikonhacker for latest news.

Availible -Video Related- Firmware Alterations:

• D3100
    • Liveview Manual Control ISO/Shutter - BETA
    • Video 1080 36mbps Bitrate - BETA
    • Video 1080 54mbps Bitrate - BETA
  • D3200
  • D5100
    • Live View Manual Control ISO/Shutter
    • Live View HDMI & LCD Clean
  • D5200 -useless atm- (the update works but it doesn't produce the desired bitrate increase)
    • Video 1080 40mbps Bitrate - ALPHA
    • Video 1080 57mbps Bitrate - ALPHA
  • D7000
    • Live View HDMI & LCD Clean
    • Live View No Display Auto Off - BETA
    • Video 1080 24fps 36mbps Bitrate - BETA
    • Video 1080 24fps 49mbps Bitrate - BETA
    • Video 1080 24fps 64mbps Bitrate - BETA
  • D800
  • D800E
  • D600
  • D4

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well Simeone gave this answer:

https://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1779&start=60#p11792

who knows, they removed timelimitation on the d800 so maybe it's similar.

Btw,they are saying that the video is 4:2:2, or at least the live view feed.

http://simeonpilgrim.com/nikon-patch/nikon-patch-beta.html

[update] d3100 and d800 coming next:

https://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1790

We got lucky :D, I'll try it first with the d7000.

This is very nice, they are making big progress reverse engineering the Nikon firmware and with the example of magic lantern for Canon, big things could result. I don't know how the SD interface of the Nikons like the D5200/D5300/D7100 would sustain data rate for raw. If they are able to do it, it would be immense because of the dynamic range that would put them much higher than the Canons for me. I would personally prefer a 10 bit log high bitrate codec but I think that it might be more complicated than RAW.

My understanding is that the situation on Nikon is much more constrained and therefore it is very difficult to add lots of new things.  

On Canon you can add entirely new bits of code that run off SD card so you have lots more flexibility.  On Nikon you have to fit it all into the space onboard the chip inside the camera - so if you want to add something new you have to overwrite something that is already there (and hopefully not being used) and/or just switch things back on that Nikon engineers switched off and/or change the values of certain variables (e.g. bitrate = XXX).  It also means that the development process is more difficult as you might inadvertently overwrite something important which can break the camera.  Unless Nikon change the way their firmware works I think Canon / ML will always be further ahead in this regard.

I can't say anything about the cameras that have been/are soon going to be hacked, but a high bitrate hack for the amazing D5300 would be awesome. But what I'd really, really love is peaking. You have no idea how awesome that would be.

Would this work with the Nikon D3200?

I think they would have to explicitly do a version for the 3200 firmware (it isn't necessarily the same as the 3100) but I think in principle it would be possible.

It seems that they work on the cameras they physically have (3100,5100,7000,800?) and each camera requires a new hack (although some share parts of the firmware which makes certain models easier to get started with).  If they have the physical camera to work with, the time to do it, enough people to test (who are willing to risk potentially bricking) then all models are possible.  It is pretty cool stuff but very time consuming by the looks of it!