Wrote a review of Wonder Woman 1984 so you don't have to watch it!

Andrew Reid

A short word on so-called gender equality:
Equality does not mean sameness.

It is a serious error in logic to insist they do (and today's brainwashed ideologues DO insist they do in every occasion and instance it serves their perceived advantage.)
Burger King people, the Sinatrazites beware---your way is the surest way to misery.
Yet, the remain undaunted and undeterred. 
They buttress their argument by promoting the other part of their ideological agenda: gender dysphoria. And they apparently intend on beginning it on the innocent at as early an age as they can legally get away with.
The end result is "the New Man"---identifiable by being in a perpetual state of mass identity confusion in every conceivable way.
Here the ideological Lords intone, "All the better to manipulate and control you, dearie."

Meanwhile, human nature grows increasingly distorted and perverted, accelerating the already breath-taking slide of humanity down the rabbit hole leading to oblivion and extinction.
But who cares?
When human life has lost all objective purpose and meaning, and great masses are either incapable of or exhausted  from making up their own, what does it matter. Oblivion will be a relief. 
The question I find the most curious in this whole process is simply this: Can the truth about the reality of man become so muddled
and confused in his insane, blind, and quixotic attempt to become his own god and recreate himself in his own perverse, distorted ideological image, that any and all vestiges of anything that was naturally good in him be completely destroyed?
Can you say Gargoyle? Can you say "fully ersatz, proxy existence?"

Can you say "universal Marxism?"

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, ntblowz said:

The WW84 is such a let down vs the 1st one, i definitely found it not as enjoyable as the first one.

I'd  have to agree with that. and I liked the other justice league movies as well. I guess I won't  bother adding ww1984 to the DVD collection 🤔

This is absolutely unhinged.

I actually know and talk to *dozens* of working film critics and I don't know a single one that really liked this movie - and easily half of those critics are women. Maybe one or two said they enjoyed it just fine but it's not great, while the VAST majority have talked about its many, many issues, including a lot of xenophobic/racial nonsense.

But this.... is just, I have to say, the writing of someone who needs to really look at themselves. The off the scale irony of complaining about how men are portrayed while consistently railing against all the women involved here ("bronzed Hollywood MILFs" is a real nice line, very cool and mature and not sexist or gross at all).

Man, you write this shit on the INTERNET. You do know everyone can read this, right?

The movie sucked, but holy hell, seek some help. Or maybe this is just who you are.

8 hours ago, pixelpreaching said:

This is absolutely unhinged.

I actually know and talk to *dozens* of working film critics and I don't know a single one that really liked this movie - and easily half of those critics are women. Maybe one or two said they enjoyed it just fine but it's not great, while the VAST majority have talked about its many, many issues, including a lot of xenophobic/racial nonsense.

But this.... is just, I have to say, the writing of someone who needs to really look at themselves. The off the scale irony of complaining about how men are portrayed while consistently railing against all the women involved here ("bronzed Hollywood MILFs" is a real nice line, very cool and mature and not sexist or gross at all).

Man, you write this shit on the INTERNET. You do know everyone can read this, right?

The movie sucked, but holy hell, seek some help. Or maybe this is just who you are.

The cancel culture is very strong with you. Perhaps you should seek some help rather than prescribing it to somebody else. "Bronzed Hollywood MILf's" was a great line leading to the crux of the matter about this movie. If you cannot accept a different opinion rather than the politically correct emasculating one, there is always Reddit to vend. Whatever you do not like, ohh its is sexist, oh it is xenophobic....   Little Hittlerites is what it is.

Orwell is laughing.

2 hours ago, josdr said:

The cancel culture is very strong with you. Perhaps you should seek some help rather than prescribing it to somebody else. "Bronzed Hollywood MILf's" was a great line leading to the crux of the matter about this movie. If you cannot accept a different opinion rather than the politically correct emasculating one, there is always Reddit to vend. Whatever you do not like, ohh its is sexist, oh it is xenophobic....   Little Hittlerites is what it is.

Orwell is laughing.

Absolutely love how people like you immediately hop to "cancel culture" the instant someone has a dissenting opinion, as if I even alluded to him being cancelled, have the power to do so, or am attempting to do so. Y'all love to cling to "free speech" and say things like "if you cannot accept a differing opinion" while literally not being able to accept a differing opinion.

His article was written and posted on the internet. With a link to a forum discussion specifically about the article. I guess I missed the disclaimer that to post in that forum you had to (ironically) keep your differing opinion to yourself.

"Bronzed Hollywood MILFs" is a degrading, gross, misogynistic description of - among others - amazing veteran actors like Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright. This disdain for working professionals isn't the first time to appear on this site from Andrew, however.

The movie is bad. For so many reasons. Hell, many feminists have brought attention to the very weird and borderline rape aspect of Steve's character inhabiting someone else's body. But, oh, wait... that can't be... this is a movie that "has nailed itself to gender equality, and female identity, thus putting itself beyond criticism."

Maybe if people around here actually, I don't know, SPOKE to working film critics - both men *and* women - you'd know how absolutely, insanely nonsense that statement is. I can link you to *at least* a dozen different essays/pieces about how bad or problematic this movie is just from critics I know... probably more than half of them from women. Frankly, the idea that this movie is immune from criticism by "woke" circles is the most laughable thing I've read all week... and it's been an insane week here in the US.

I'm sure all of this will, once again, be dismissed as being a "Little Hitlerite" or "cancel culture." Apparently those things are just when you respond to someone on a forum that they created specifically for an article they wrote and posted publicly on the internet.

Orwell is indeed laughing. Just not for the reasons you think.

1 hour ago, pixelpreaching said:

Absolutely love how people like you immediately hop to "cancel culture" the instant someone has a dissenting opinion, as if I even alluded to him being cancelled, have the power to do so, or am attempting to do so. Y'all love to cling to "free speech" and say things like "if you cannot accept a differing opinion" while literally not being able to accept a differing opinion.

His article was written and posted on the internet. With a link to a forum discussion specifically about the article. I guess I missed the disclaimer that to post in that forum you had to (ironically) keep your differing opinion to yourself.

"Bronzed Hollywood MILFs" is a degrading, gross, misogynistic description of - among others - amazing veteran actors like Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright. This disdain for working professionals isn't the first time to appear on this site from Andrew, however.

The movie is bad. For so many reasons. Hell, many feminists have brought attention to the very weird and borderline rape aspect of Steve's character inhabiting someone else's body. But, oh, wait... that can't be... this is a movie that "has nailed itself to gender equality, and female identity, thus putting itself beyond criticism."

Maybe if people around here actually, I don't know, SPOKE to working film critics - both men *and* women - you'd know how absolutely, insanely nonsense that statement is. I can link you to *at least* a dozen different essays/pieces about how bad or problematic this movie is just from critics I know... probably more than half of them from women. Frankly, the idea that this movie is immune from criticism by "woke" circles is the most laughable thing I've read all week... and it's been an insane week here in the US.

I'm sure all of this will, once again, be dismissed as being a "Little Hitlerite" or "cancel culture." Apparently those things are just when you respond to someone on a forum that they created specifically for an article they wrote and posted publicly on the internet.

Orwell is indeed laughing. Just not for the reasons you think.

You wrote  a lot of words but are unable or unwilling to a address my main critique of your  Orwellian statements. That the author of the article should seek mental health help and whoever does not agree with you (shock and horror indeed) should immediately be castigated according to your fellow film critics down the pub.

I think your intended audience is the skewed distorted catoptron of reddit , rather than this forum, but as yourself I am a guest here so do continue preaching as as how the bronzed MILFs hypocrisy of another silly Hollywood movie is the latest Magnus opus of how should we think. I may disagree with you but I would strongly support you actually having the ability of being able to express your views , even if they are part of a skewed social conditioning by the mass media system you have been subjected to.

Woe to us if we err from the prescribed truth you and the MILFs prescribe for us. How dare the author post articles you disagree with "publicly" on the internet tubes. What next, clubbing seal pups and not being vegan? A culture that has been conditioned to be "insulted" with whatever it does not agree with its "leadership" is of course a mark of an emerging authoritarian regime. 

Lots of the "people around here" do not seem to conform to your ideas. Are we all to be liquidated mentally for not calling MILFs doing cgi stunts an anathema to good cinema? 

27 minutes ago, josdr said:

You wrote  a lot of words but are unable or unwilling to a address my main critique of your  Orwellian statements. That the author of the article should seek mental health help and whoever does not agree with you (shock and horror indeed) should immediately be castigated according to your fellow film critics down the pub.

I think your intended audience is the skewed distorted catoptron of reddit , rather than this forum, but as yourself I am a guest here so do continue preaching as as how the bronzed MILFs hypocrisy of another silly Hollywood movie is the latest Magnus opus of how should we think. I may disagree with you but I would strongly support you actually having the ability of being able to express your views , even if they are part of a skewed social conditioning by the mass media system you have been subjected to.

Woe to us if we err from the prescribed truth you and the MILFs prescribe for us. How dare the author post articles you disagree with "publicly" on the internet tubes. What next, clubbing seal pups and not being vegan? A culture that has been conditioned to be "insulted" with whatever it does not agree with its "leadership" is of course a mark of an emerging authoritarian regime. 

Lots of the "people around here" do not seem to conform to your ideas. Are we all to be liquidated mentally for not calling MILFs doing cgi stunts an anathema to good cinema? 

The mental health statement is not, whatsoever, a consequence of him simply expressing his views. It's WHAT those views are and HOW they were expressed. Do you believe people can express ANY views that they want and not receive any criticism? That would be closer to Orwellian than anything going on here. People like you seem to love this idea of freedom of speech (as do I), but don't love the idea that it goes both ways and "freedom of speech" does not mean "freedom from criticism." I'm literally in no position to cancel anyone, nor did I say anyone should "castigate" him (I assume you mean that as in "punish" - no, no one should punish him). He is entirely 100% free to write whatever he pleases on his own site. But I am free, like you, to express my opinion here (at least right now, he does have the right to ban me).

I don't even know how the hell reddit works, I've maybe been there twice in my life for 10 seconds. I don't interact with film critics on reddit. I do so in real life and in private conversations and on social media. A good number of critics (as in published, rottentomatoes verified, currently employed critics) are personal friends of mine, many others are more what I'd call acquaintances that I talk to here and there.

And did you seriously say that I should continue preaching that this movie is "the latest magnum opus of how we should think"? I SAID THE MOVIE IS BAD. There are MANY problems with it. MANY. It is not good. It also has some good points, but the bad ones far outweigh the good.

Real critics and writers talk about how a film doesn't work on story, thematic, character, emotional, etc. levels. Andrew's post is just an unhinged rant, which would be fine if it weren't so horribly misogynistic. There are SO MANY ways to express how he felt that would have been far more appropriate.

Again, he's free to be inappropriate and post poorly written reviews (I guess that's what this is supposed to be) on his own site. I'm free to say his review is gross and unhinged. And this isn't the first time he's come across like this, in other ways - rants about Blackmagic and Canon spring to mind right away, as well as making posts and tweets that take cheap, ugly shots at other folks (reviewers, youtubers, etc) on the internet for no reason other than to be mean. Once again, he's free to do that.

But it isn't crazy to point out how this is coming across to many people. i've read this site for years and years and years and this stuff seems to be happening a lot more lately.

Jesus Christ can people stop invoking Orwell whenever someone on the internet disagrees with them. My God, how serious do you have to take yourself to even consider doing that. Not everything is part of some epic clash of civilizations (looking at Andrews piece as well). If you'd actually look around you as opposed to just screaming about whatever you have predetermined reality to be, you'd see that the overwhelming majority of people all across the political spectrum do not think Wonder Woman 1984 is a good movie. In that sense you guys should be thrilled, because it actually should relieve some of your fears with regards to the ominous cultural post-truth hive mind that you so clearly worry about. Ironically, instead of actually, you know, looking at our cultural response to this movie, you instead preemptively project your fears unto reality, get angry about it, and call it a day. Come on folks, we're better than this.

2 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

Jesus Christ can people stop invoking Orwell whenever someone on the internet disagrees with them. My God, how serious do you have to take yourself to even consider doing that. Not everything is part of some epic clash of civilizations (looking at Andrews piece as well). If you'd actually look around you as opposed to just screaming about whatever you have predetermined reality to be, you'd see that the overwhelming majority of people all across the political spectrum do not think Wonder Woman 1984 is a good movie. In that sense you guys should be thrilled, because it actually should relieve some of your fears with regards to the ominous cultural post-truth hive mind that you so clearly worry about. Ironically, instead of actually, you know, looking at our cultural response to this movie, you instead preemptively project your fears unto reality, get angry about it, and call it a day. Come on folks, we're better than this.

Yup.

The most positive reviews or comments I've seen were simply "well I enjoyed it, it was fun" from non-critics and nothing beyond that. 98% of what I've read or heard has been mixed or very negative.

The RT score is as high as it is (and it's not very high now) because studios do a crap job of sending screeners to diverse groups of people. WW84 went from a lot of hype and positive comments pre-release (and like 80% on RT) to the exact opposite afterward (now 60%), at least as far as filmmakers/critics/screenwriters/etc. go (or "film twitter" as it is called). I rarely see a movie take that much of a downward turn upon release (vs. pre-release reviews).

I think this movie is a great example of how Hollywood just seems to be out of touch with everyone. They aren't in touch with the woke folks, not with the right side or centralists. But what can you really expect from people who pretty much live outside of the realms of the normal people they attempt to cater to.

Its humorous how DC goes from something like the Joker to this. 

Another important, and humorous, thing to point out here:

Andrew mentions over and over how terrible Patty Jenkins is for all of these perceived slights, and yet of the film's three writers, two were men (Geoff Johns, a DC veteran, and David Callaham of Expendables fame). From what I gather, Jenkins's (who brought Callaham aboard after joining Johns, who had already started writing) most specific contributions to the script were the setting of 1984 and the numerous 80s nostalgic locations in Washington, DC that she knew from her childhood.

Make of that all that as you will.

(this isn't letting Jenkins off the hook or anything, but she is faaaaar from the only person to deserve blame here, especially given its a DC film - the latitude for a director's creative freedom is severely limited with these types of studio films)

22 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

I think this movie is a great example of how Hollywood just seems to be out of touch with everyone. They aren't in touch with the woke folks, not with the right side or centralists. But what can you really expect from people who pretty much live outside of the realms of the normal people they attempt to cater to.

Its humorous how DC goes from something like the Joker to this. 

You're kinda in the biz and from Detroit, yeah?  As you undoubtedly know, the industry is populated with creatives from meager backgrounds as well as the affluent.  I think the main reason you get an ideological skew is simply that in order to succeed in accomplished merit, one has to get the hell off the farm and into a much bigger world.  Rural is conservative and homogeneous, Urban is progressive and heterogeneous.  People are attracted and then adapt to those environments and expectations.  That's human nature.  It's  true in many industries outside of entertainment.

Also, if the big studio movie industry is anything, it's a barometer of popular culture, or at least striving as a business to hit the balance of lowest-common-denominator-appeal.  I consider Hollywood creations to be a pretty accurate mirror to who we are; take that as you will.  So....movies are trying to get more woke?  Guess what, so is global society.  Might be annoying and deserve some push back, but there you go.

As for DC "tone" whiplash, when has it been anything but?  Not only is it all over the map, they're usually on the north and south poles of a Mercator projection.

4 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

You're kinda in the biz and from Detroit, yeah?  As you undoubtedly know, the industry is populated with creatives from meager backgrounds as well as the affluent.  I think the main reason you get an ideological skew is simply that in order to succeed in accomplished merit, one has to get the hell off the farm and into a much bigger world.  Rural is conservative and homogeneous, Urban is progressive and heterogeneous.  People are attracted and then adapt to those environments and expectations.  That's human nature.  It's  true in many industries outside of entertainment.

Also, if the big studio movie industry is anything, it's a barometer of popular culture, or at least striving as a business to hit the balance of lowest-common-denominator-appeal.  I consider Hollywood creations to be a pretty accurate mirror to who we are; take that as you will.  So....movies are trying to get more woke?  Guess what, so is global society.  Might be annoying and deserve some push back, but there you go.

As for DC "tone" whiplash, when has it been anything but?  Not only is it all over the map, they're usually on the north and south poles of a Mercator projection.

That was the issue with Wonder Woman though, it was trying to be woke, it wasn't woke. It was phoned in. You can't fake authenticity. 

Of course not all hollywood films miss the mark but ones that are incredibly corporate tend too. I am not the type to think that the film industry is doomed and nothing of value comes out anymore. On the contrary there is more diversity in film then ever before. 

Not everyone in hollywood is a spoiled rich person but even if you didn't necessarily grow up in wealth its easy to forget where you came from when you get immersed in the upper class of society. At least it seems to be that way coming from an outsider viewpoint as I am in the lower class of American society lol. This is kind of besides the point though.

The bigger issue is not the artists its the corporations who are hijacking the artists visions with their bottom lines. I think its very easy to see when a director and writer has been given artistic freedom vs when the film has been more or less directed by a cooperate check list obtained from some type of mathematical equation on what sells best. The easy solution is just not to go see these types of films as there are plenty of other options out there. More indie films are coming out then ever before. I personally enjoy mindless blockbusters. Wonderwoman was pretty cringe but I enjoyed parts of it still. The film is bombing though. 

I agree that DC is certainly all over the place with the tone of its films, at least as of late. The Dark Knight series was an enormous success but then they missed the boat on the whole Superhero universe that Marvel did so well. I felt the Joker was unique though. 55 million budget while grossing a billion dollars. In comparison with the justice league which cost over 300 million to make while only grossing under 700 million. I guess the Joker is a hard film to replicate though. As someone who is fairly young and spends a lot of time with youth I can tell that whoever wrote and produced the Joker was very much in touch with the youth of today. The film was able to cater to young friends of mine who are very liberal as well as ones who are in the opposite spectrum. Where it did seem to get lost was on some of my older friends, but I don't think that was the target audience. 

3 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

it was trying to be woke, it wasn't woke. It was phoned in. You can't fake authenticity.

Yup, it was a mediocre film and Patty Jenkins certainly did a mediocre job with a mediocre script.  Still, I liked what they were trying to do with the antagonist.  Different, at least.  But that premise?  eh.  But that's what corporate creations do, sprinkle in bits and pieces of things they hope will expand their audience.  It's marketing.  Whether it be two females smooching in Star Wars or a male idiot as a bad guy in a woman-super-hero-film.  I'm blase' by it, really.  The reaction to the film is more interesting than the film.  Bad movies come and go all the time. 

a cooperate check list obtained from some type of mathematical equation on what sells best

Welcome to modern life.  We're all monkeys being pushed around by algorithms.  So much so we just had an insurrection here in the USA that was directly aided by such.  That's how serious this sort of stuff is.

Where it did seem to get lost was on some of my older friends, but I don't think that was the target audience. 

Anyone that liked gritty 70's/80's stuff like Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy was probably on board with those types of films being mashed-up with a super-villian character.  I was.

even if you didn't necessarily grow up in wealth its easy to forget where you came from when you get immersed in the upper class of society.

Pretty much the same sentiment I'm offering.  The thing is a lot of people actually want to forget where they came from.  Coming from a crap place ain't exactly anything one should want to continue to emulate.  I love my small MI hometown for sentimental reasons, but I preferred to leave behind the BS attitudes that are prevalent in that township. Other things I hold onto.