Wrote a review of Wonder Woman 1984 so you don't have to watch it!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow.. Awesome writeup... and that’s basically what you’ll find at YouTube etc. And I agree... but you should be aware what’s happening now - You will be smeared, denounced, cancelled and called all the fond words as you dared to think...

How dare you!

B

Great write up. Except that communism is not the right scarecrow, as it is an utopy for the better of humanity. Stalinism was a monsterous dictatorship. Already two and a half decades later Tarkovskji made the masterpiece Solaris, before that the grand masterpiece Ivans childhood. China is not communist but imperialist, building an imperium to hopefully not to rule the world some day. Apple M1 is manufactured in Cali, right? Iphone not though, we know where and under what conditions and for whom. My S1? Well.

I am not going to see this movie.  But if you want to cheer yourself up Andrew, check out Netflix's superhero fare.  Jessica Jones (season 1) is the best written and acted of the lot, but the action is fantastic in Daredevil and the lighting is amazing in Luke Cage (we'll pretend Iron Fist never happened). 

I have often said that people should check out Luke Cage or Daredevil if you want to see how to do dark cinematography the right way.  It is the total opposite of the literally unwatchable Solo: A Star Wars Story.  Night scenes on the Netflix supershows look realistic but everything pops out from the shadows so you get the mood without missing the action.  Sadly, Disney shut down those productions when they bought Marvel, but hopefully the extremely talented production crews will be making beautiful new works soon.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Utopia? Communism? 🙂

M1 is manufactured in Taiwan by TSMC. Taiwan is a democracy.

Hey, a big bearded man lived for a while in London, 150 years ago. He wrote some substantial stuff regarding economics and so on. Yes an utopic vision. The scarecrow of not so foxy not news and the yello hair weirdo who will have another job in three weeks. Your are still young, Andrew, like me:) You are still allowed to have utopic visions for a better living for everyone.

I assumed M1 was manufactured in California. Anyway, give us more of your nerdism and passion for filmmaking and screw the rest. Remember your stuff from 2010 to 2015, legendary pieces and articles!!! There is no way around what we want, even though some of us still love dull spec lists, yawn! @Andrew Reid

Like Andrew mentioned, the director wanted to invert gender conventions.  Since it's a POV of the characters that are flipped from the societal norm we start to see how the norm is kind of perverted to begin with.  That the movie is pure trash, has horrible narrative flaws, AND sucks hard in most areas of movie making is actually weirdly highlighting this inversion. 

That's typical "Hot Take BS," but it's a big super hero movie so we talk about it.

Also, we're used to females and minorities begin treated as non-serious silly characters all the time.  The fact that WW84's antagonist is a campy-white-guy-emotional-train-wreck-doofus is one of the few things I actually liked about the movie. 

Is it progress that woke-shit can be be disposable  storytelling nonsense just like all other cultural pop nonsense?

Aside from that, I found the move horrible.  My wife liked it.  She;s more tolerant of superficial trope'y silliness.  And, tbf, shit movies made by guys and gals get ignored all the time.  We're still in the novel stages of big-event pop culture flicks being more accepting about gender, so maybe it just seems like WW84 is somehow more important than it is.

3 hours ago, Borbarad said:

You will be smeared, denounced, cancelled and called all the fond words as you dared to think...

No he won't.  Sheeesh.  He might get challenged for his opinion, yes.  Unless Andrew feels like he's somehow entitled to an assailable opinion, enduring online slings and arrows shouldn't really be a problem.  Not all people are fragile and afraid of debate from strangers.  I don't know Andrew personally, but from all I've read from him over the past 8 years I don't think being afraid of debate is part of his nature.

7 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

No he won't.  Sheeesh.  He might get challenged for his opinion, yes.  Unless Andrew feels like he's somehow entitled to an assailable opinion, enduring online slings and arrows shouldn't really be a problem.  Not all people are fragile and afraid of debate from strangers.  I don't know Andrew personally, but from all I've read from him over the past 8 years I don't think being afraid of debate is part of his nature.

I’m not worried the slightest about him... but the W... S.. Brigade will be up in arms because someone dares to think and has a free mind.

B

These things can both be true:

• Wonder Woman 1984 was blockbuster garbage.
  • A man crying sexism because one shitty blockbuster (out of how many hundreds?) dares to portray men in an unflattering light is whiney, entitled, pathetic, microphallytic nonsense

Do you write internet diatribes every time you see a movie that shows woman as oversexualized? As objects of ownership? As conniving bitches? As ditzy morons? You don’t, because if you did your wrists would break because there are so many of them. 

Look around you, the world is full of awful men doing nightmarish things. Why shouldn’t a clumsy blockbuster get to play with that trope as much as all the tropes about women? The film is absolutely terrible, but loads of terrible films are made by men all year round, filled with cliches and destructive stereotypes. It’s not other people making this an issue about sexism-it’s you. You have drawn a line that says stories by and about women can’t employ the same lazy filmmaking that is rife in Hollywood blockbusters. How is that not the definition of sexism?

Also: I’ve seen literally zero hesitance in the media to call this movie lousy. Not sure what you’re reacting to, but nobody I’ve read is hailing this film as a milestone of feminism. Or even trying to defend its sheer awfulness from a filmmaking perspective.

Like many small men, you’ve made a little internet fiefdom for yourself by spewing anger on a blog. Yawn. Perhaps turning that angry, critical eye on your own perception of women would prove instructive. Grow up, little piggy.

4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Great write up. Except that communism is not the right scarecrow, as it is an utopy for the better of humanity. Stalinism was a monsterous dictatorship.

Communism isn’t an utopia for a better humanity as it ignores the humanity respectively the human nature completely. It would only work where humans can be programmed in 0 and 1 , otherwise you have to control your population which will always end in a disaster and death.

Communism is great for brain storming and philosophy but nothing for reality.

That doesn’t mean capitalism is great. It has horrible flaws but it’s the only system humanity created where you are allowed to die as a free men.

That’s enough off topic....

B

21 minutes ago, Borbarad said:

I’m not worried the slightest about him... but the W... S.. Brigade will be up in arms because someone dares to think and has a free mind.

B

Well help me out here a little bit then. 

Are we somehow entitled to not having to hear about someone else's opinion?  Am I misreading the implication?  People form opinions by thinking with their free mind, so what are you getting at?

Someone holds a contrarian view to someone else doesn't cancel opinions.  It's a disagreement in a market full of ideas and opinions.  Say what you want and deal with the repercussions.  As it should be.  You don't often get to fling unfettered rhetoric on the internet without some push back from people with different ideas on things.  And this article isn't anywhere near any sort of rhetorical bomb anyway.

4 hours ago, Borbarad said:

You will be smeared, denounced, cancelled and called all the fond words as you dared to think...

No he won't.  Sheeesh. 

25 minutes ago, joenyc said:

Grow up, little piggy.

Welp, I stand corrected, yet again.  I'm pretty good at falsely thinking I've got a handle on stuff only to be proven otherwise by the informational super highway.  Curse you technological marvel that's paving the road to humanity's latest ruin!

12 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Welp, I stand corrected, yet again.  I'm pretty good at falsely thinking I've got a handle on stuff only to be proven otherwise by the informational super highway.  Curse you technological marvel that's paving the road to humanity's latest ruin!

It was tongue in cheek.

37 minutes ago, joenyc said:

It was tongue in cheek.

Guess I missed the sarcasm?  It was just a joke?

1 hour ago, joenyc said:

Like many small men, you’ve made a little internet fiefdom for yourself by spewing anger on a blog. Yawn. Perhaps turning that angry, critical eye on your own perception of women would prove instructive. Grow up, little piggy.

@joenyc I think your article about Andrews article is about as harsh as his. I like both of your articles. I agree on your notion, that the outcry against abuse and degradation and objectivation from men has been and still is too little. What makes Andrews article interesting is, how feminism has been exploited by powerful, white people giving us white, superfit, sexy superheroes as a prime example of feminism with exactly the same range of emotions as the typical powermongers and narcists have, namely none. Stealing the cause is a typical tactic of info war since the invention of lying. Hollywood superstars or influencers (car sales people of the new millenium:)  should not be relied on as prime examples of feminism.

What I dont like about Andrews article is certain logic about communism and liberalism and what not. What I dont appreciate about your article is the tone and the insults and some conclusions. I dont have to do a profound testimony on that. I would have to do that in a dictatorship though. But thats the great hard earned achievement and comfort of democracy, I can just leave it at that for this forum.

I can still be wrong regarding a discussion of this magnitude in an online forum! And I will proved wrong. A discussion is a team effort after all. I leave it at that. Stay safe and calm and take both Joenycs and Andrews points into consideration.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, joenyc said:

These things can both be true:

• Wonder Woman 1984 was blockbuster garbage.
  • A man crying sexism because one shitty blockbuster (out of how many hundreds?) dares to portray men in an unflattering light is whiney, entitled, pathetic, microphallytic nonsense

Do you write internet diatribes every time you see a movie that shows woman as oversexualized? As objects of ownership? As conniving bitches? As ditzy morons? You don’t, because if you did your wrists would break because there are so many of them. 

Look around you, the world is full of awful men doing nightmarish things. Why shouldn’t a clumsy blockbuster get to play with that trope as much as all the tropes about women? The film is absolutely terrible, but loads of terrible films are made by men all year round, filled with cliches and destructive stereotypes. It’s not other people making this an issue about sexism-it’s you. You have drawn a line that says stories by and about women can’t employ the same lazy filmmaking that is rife in Hollywood blockbusters. How is that not the definition of sexism?

Also: I’ve seen literally zero hesitance in the media to call this movie lousy. Not sure what you’re reacting to, but nobody I’ve read is hailing this film as a milestone of feminism. Or even trying to defend its sheer awfulness from a filmmaking perspective.

Very, very rude.

It is everyone's right to write movie reviews and to have a personal opinion on a film. For some people, it is even a career!

The irony of you coming on here writing a big internet diatribe about my cultural commentary and not liking a certain movie, is not lost on me. If you can't be polite in my house, you will leave it, little piggy. Be careful the wolf doesn't blow your fucking front door down.

I saw it. Did my patriotic bit to bolster the flagging economy at the local cinema. Which i might add is an hours drive away Even paid for my brothers ticket, but I let him buy his own confectionery  😁. Far as I'm concerned its pure escapism nothing more, nothing less. If you want to brainwash me with feminism or inverted gender crap well you'll  have to break out some electrodes and intravenous drugs. A movie isn't going to do it. 

You definitely bring up some good points here. I didn't think into it too much. My initial reaction was the that Maxwell Lord and his son's relationship wasn't developed enough for the climax to be satisfying or emotional. 

The beginning competition in Themyscira was one of the more enjoyable parts of the film to me, although it seemed to serve zero purpose to the plot. The initial superhero moment with Wonder Woman chasing down the baddies in the mall was pretty campy and had me cringing a bit.

I do think Gal Gadot has a presence proper for Wonder Woman. I thought the first film was quite good. This one was definitely a mess. I fell asleep during part of it but I also enjoyed moments of it. It was good to be back in theaters regardless. Felt very odd experiencing something again that I've done so many times yet feels far away.