Canon Cinema 1D 4K DSLR officially announced

Andrew Reid

Well, in all seriousness, we as the cinema community need to launch a internet boycott/awareness campaign in response. Canon has the right to sell their products at whatever price they want... and we have the right to say whatever we want about them. So lets do it. We need to let everyone know that they are selling $3500 hardware at 5x the price... This product segmenting is getting ridiculous. It should actually be illegal to artificially limit products by software... unless the product is purely software itself.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything else a fascinating insight into the biggest camera company in the world. Canon assumes that the 5DMK111 will own the prosumer market with just the bare minimum upgrade, this the line that will make them them their biggest profit margin.  Then they announce "Pro" cameras that will literally take on Hollywood and use the C brand to sell more 5D's... but they forgot that to sell a dream in this era of instant info and blogging, filmmakers 'aint dumb.  Anyone researching to buy a camera know perfectly well that camera companies now have the ability to make  camera's that yield a damn fine cine look, it's about choosing the least crippled option against what you have in your bank account.  Canon could have changed the camera industry forever by truly democratizing hardware.  A company will do it one day, make an Alexa for $4999 and cheaper and cheaper... then let that cameras cannibalize it's other divisions.  Imagine what Apple would do if it was in this industry?  You are a photographer... you are cinematographer ...you are an artist... here is the tool.

@biginvegas Apple charges more for their hardware than PC manufacturers do for the same technology. You pay a premium for their design and quality control and for having OS X instead of Windows. Sometimes you pay twice as much or more.

I appreciate Apple a great deal and look to them to lead in many things, but I think they are a very poor example for the point you are trying to make about hardware pricing. :)

[quote author=Per Lichtman link=topic=572.msg3847#msg3847 date=1334262480]
I appreciate Apple a great deal and look to them to lead in many things, but I think they are a very poor example for the point you are trying to make about hardware pricing. :)
[/quote]

I think he meant more of how apple wasn't afraid to cannibalize laptop sales with something like a ipad. They knew that was where technology was heading and they made it happen. Canon would have priced an ipad at $30,000 for "executives only" or something stupid like that.

Hybrid imaging is the future. It's insane to keep dividing markets like this. The EOS C 4k DSLR is just a 1DX or 5DIII with better hardware for shits sake!!! They're charging $12,000 FOR A SOFTWARE UPGRADE!!!

I don't get your fascination with the Nikon D800 and you will be disappointed with it once you get to try it. The slight sharpness is compromise by terrible moire and aliasing. Clean HDMI is ruined by poor downsampling/line skipping, poor lowlight, it is also cropped like APS-H but with fake 1080p. Tests shows video DR is not as good as 5DIII. I don't believe in free lunch and  Nikon did not develop a dSLR with better video output at cheaper price than Canon. This said the 4k is a bit overprice. It is a 1DX plus great video minus bells and whistles of the C300. $9k launch price stablalizing to $7k in 6 months after launch would have been right.
However I think your $15,000 estimation is not right given the way Canon always matches the dollar with Euro so $10k launch would have been the price.

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=572.msg3851#msg3851 date=1334265949]
It is a 1DX plus great video minus bells and whistles of the C300. $9k launch price stablalizing to $7k in 6 months after launch would have been right.
However I think your $15,000 estimation is not right given the way Canon always matches the dollar with Euro so $10k launch would have been the price.
[/quote]

"The Canon EOS-1D C digital SLR camera is scheduled to be available within 2012 at a suggested retail price of $15,000."

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?type=news&maxRowCount=10&fileURL=selected&dojo.preventCache=1334239879592&pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480533ee2#

Don't feel bad - I have made a couple mistakes like that earlier today myself. :)

I edited my reply as as a partner of a lady that's been around the block since before most of us were even filmng  - lets be real all levels C300 down are seen as shit in reality and it's seen as a camcorder -  if you're trying to compete with the big lads who've edited mixed onlined everything you've seen for 20 years - learn from your peers!
We're talking OScars Superbowl Adele blah etc etc all of em wouldn't even entertain

C300 canon 5d 7d etc seen as shit - from the front line - aside from pixel pokers etc when the man with the $$ makes the deal - not considered sorry that's the front line - I was part of the team that did with Walter Murch Cold Mountain when he cut it (with his Polaroids) in his kitchen - love him, but this community is what he's about - young new exciting people making great stuff - go out and make shit! DP4/6 Voigtlander/Nikkor blah won't make you better - believe me there's no chin rubbing it's all pub ordering -get out and do it -time is now .

For example a friend of mine controlling prob 20 million output per prod and comes from film world and respected - when invited to see the new Canon, and when bearing in mind cost of post which he controls- and very well IMHO after many years - and in his words what do we benefit - said no why ,  there's the target market for me, that day, and is the day to day  broadcast market - and fk me it's open if you ask the directors/producers -they're that are young and funky they're clued and theres a up generation who love's it

• Administrators
This camera just isn't for us.

Let's see how the guys at NAB accept it.

What I am more interested from Canon next is a proper interchangeable lens prosumer camera with large sensor around the $3000 mark, or a video optimised consumer DSLR / mirrorless camera. This is sorely needed.

I'm pretty happy with my FS100 and GH2 right now to say the least! Canon just can't compete with those two. The FS100 only cost me £2700 and the GH2 £600!

And how lovely and exciting - let's all embrace it - They're only boxes - I've sat with me little plinky plonky push button bleep bloopd boxes - like me old 60s strats worth a gazillion - fk knows why lol No disrespect but me n you were there lol love it's - funny In the end client is king - whatever you amazing guys do shooting - the PM always says "How much" we educate em .... amateur producers killed the budgets sadly for all of us -  but hey its only telly!