Canon Cinema 1D 4K DSLR officially announced

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/EOS-1D-C_Creative2.jpg[/img]

Canon have announced the $10,000 $15,000 Cinema 1D. [url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7846/canon-set-to-announce-4k-120fps-raw-c500-and-a-cinema-1d-dslr-specs-and-price-revealed"]As previously leaked on EOSHD[/url], this DSLR has 4K recording ability, S35mm crop mode, 1080/60p, log profile and uncompressed HDMI output.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7876/canon-cinema-1d-4k-dslr-officially-announced/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one more BIG 'ugly' if you happen to live on a certain continent called Europe and do anything that might be broadcast - no 25P in 4k, only in 1080P. Unless they change their specs or update it in firmware. It's not even an oversight, it's a complete lack of understanding or who would buy and use this camea. Sony have my money for the forseable future.

Personally, I couldn't be more disappointed in this camera. The price aside -- it seems elsewhere it's being reported it costs $15,000, not $10,000, which is just ridiculous -- it has basically no features for video! 4K and...a headphone jack. Who cares? Where are XLR inputs? ND filters? Articulating screen, or even a screen that doesn't waste half the real estate with black bars because the aspect ratio is off?

I honestly feel sort of tricked, because I thought Canon was making a video camera with a DSLR form factor -- that is exactly what I need. But this...this is a stills camera with a headphone jack, and an offensively high price thrown in for kicks.

In fact, I'm starting to sort of regret the money I've spent on Canon lenses with the assumption that it would be easy and convenient down the line when I was ready to upgrade from the 60D to something more "pro" ($5,000-$10,000 range). But the 5DmkIII adds basically nothing, and this is almost as bad but with a way higher price.

[quote author=FilmMan link=topic=572.msg3791#msg3791 date=1334240389]
TZDEKH,
$15K suggested retail:
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/index.php/topic,571.0.html
[/quote]
Yes, MSRP. What other price can you quote? Who knows what the street price will be?

• Administrators
[quote author=TC link=topic=572.msg3788#msg3788 date=1334239662]
Have you ever known a company more cynical?  The 1D C is basically another $8k for a firmware upgrade and a headphone jack on top of the $7k 1D X.
[/quote]

And a heat pipe around the sensor to cool it down in continuous shooting mode!

I'm sorry to go against the grain, but I am buzzing.

This is (hopefully) a full frame, 4K C300 for less money PLUS an amazing stills camera. If the IQ is the same as the C300, but 4K... I'm all in. Amazing. FF, 4K, great codec, C-log.... sure, some things are missing, but DSLR users have all that stuff.

I feel sorry for Canon, they fixed all the complaints that 5DII users made, yet got no credit for it. The 5DIII is good enough to win you an oscar, stop fixating on paper specs.

• Administrators
[quote author=tobyloc link=topic=572.msg3792#msg3792 date=1334240517]
There's one more BIG 'ugly' if you happen to live on a certain continent called Europe and do anything that might be broadcast - no 25P in 4k, only in 1080P. Unless they change their specs or update it in firmware. It's not even an oversight, it's a complete lack of understanding or who would buy and use this camea. Sony have my money for the forseable future.
[/quote]

I think the press release is worded for the American market. This can't be true about 25p. Canon have always released world-cams which are PAL / NTSC.

@gene_can_sing: Don't feel sad. Just keep your Canon for stills. Love the MkII. Or you can just sell the lenses. They keep value pretty well. Canon is just focusing on the higher-end and going away from pro-sumers/consumers. We'll be able to get the same specs from other manufacturers at a much better price. Wait another year or so and there might be a T5i that is 4K.

At least we know how much Canon want for a clean HDMI out.  $15k.  But only 8 bit, though.

"External Recording & Monitoring. The EOS-1D C is capable of simultaneously recording 4K or Full HD to on-board CF cards and outputting a clean Uncompressed, 8-bit 4:2:2 Clean HD signal over HDMI for external recording."

[url=http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_1d_c_4k_cinema_camera.shtml?categoryId=22]http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_1d_c_4k_cinema_camera.shtml?categoryId=22[/url]

ummm... FS700 is getting really interesting now. 240fps, built ND and 4K ready for 8k? Ok, the price for the external recorder will probably cost another $3000 but yet not $15k of the 1D X... 4K.

Really interested on th FS700 and waiting for something new from Pana...

No good news for the independent filmmaker. Prices just boosted so much! Scary!  ???

[quote author=cameraboy link=topic=572.msg3805#msg3805 date=1334241708]
at least  we know full power of digic 5 sensor ....
[/quote]

Exactly.  As if it wasn't obvious already, this makes it very clear that the output of the 5D mark III is deliberately crippled (softened) by the firmware.  If the Digic 5 can even do 4k of course it can do sharp 1080p (at 60fps too). 

We can categorically state that the limitations of the video mode on the 5D mark III are not hardware related.  That is what annoys people.  The 5D mark III is (in terms of hardware) everything we wanted it to be.  But Canon have f*cked it up because they want to charge us $15k for clean 1080p. 

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=572.msg3801#msg3801 date=1334241347]
[quote author=tobyloc link=topic=572.msg3792#msg3792 date=1334240517]
[/quote]

I think the press release is worded for the American market. This can't be true about 25p. Canon have always released world-cams which are PAL / NTSC.
[/quote]

I'm not sure, the Canon Europe press release seems quite clear and 25P is mentioned in the 1080P specs, they might just assume that's good enough. It should at least be fixable, just one more frame a second, but really, a european press release to film makers for a 4k camera that can't be used by them - is beyond ridiculous.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=572.msg3806#msg3806 date=1334242083]
Have updated the article.

Price is indeed a whopping $15,000 like C300.

And for Europe, Russian and Asia - three quarters of the world - 25p is only in 1080p not 4k! Insane!
[/quote]

Oops, just saw this. Yes, it's insane, no other word is crazy enough.