Would you still invest in a DSLR for weddings?

mdebono

I am primarily a weddings & events shooter, and my current setup is built around a Canon 6D & 5D2 along with several Canon & Samyang lenses. I am currently looking at replacing the 5D2 however I'm quite baffled with the amount of options available.

These are the replacement cameras I am considering:

- 5D3: the next logical step. Advantages include same media (CF), same batteries, high ISO performance, can shoot both h264 (for weddings & events) and ML raw for commercials etc when required

- C100: excellent run & gun camera and log mode would be nice to have, however I find it difficult to spend €4-5k on a camera that still records in 4:2:0 and has been out 2 years

- Blackmagic alternatives: both the BMCC and the 4K version are interesting alternatives and prores would be nice, however their design & ergonomics (such as media & battery) make them look not so ideal for this type of work

Any feedback? Would love to hear what you think or if you have experience with any of the above cameras especially for weddings! Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What camera support do you use. Monopods and Steadicams (or equivalent) or Shoulder Rigs?

The C100 is awesome, though I like the occasional slo-mo which you need a work around to get with it. It has built in NDs, an EVF (which sadly isn't too great) and the best low light out of the lot. 

How many Cameras do you need and how much do you want to spend?

I'd get the 5dIII, like you said the most logical step, since you are used to the formfactor you'd have no issue in switching, You also could get a second 6d if you can live with the moire and aliasing it can display in some occasions, a blackmagic camera is not something you would buy to cover weddings as a solo shooter. The c100 is great ofcourse, has it all but comes at a price.

What camera support do you use. Monopods and Steadicams (or equivalent) or Shoulder Rigs?

The C100 is awesome, though I like the occasional slo-mo which you need a work around to get with it. It has built in NDs, an EVF (which sadly isn't too great) and the best low light out of the lot. 

How many Cameras do you need and how much do you want to spend?

Depends on what I'm shooting. I typically shoot handheld with stabilized lenses & Z-finder for preps & ceremony, and monopod for the reception when using prime lenses. I also make use of a Glidecam HD2000 (however if the camera I get doesn't fall within the glidecam's weight limits I can use the 6D for those shots).

I only need one camera to replace the 5D2 since I'm finding it not so great for low light (when compared to the 6D), and was willing to spend around €3k ideally.

I'd get the 5dIII, like you said the most logical step, since you are used to the formfactor you'd have no issue in switching, You also could get a second 6d if you can live with the moire and aliasing it can display in some occasions, a blackmagic camera is not something you would not buy to cover weddings as a solo shooter. The c100 is great ofcourse, has it all but comes at a price.

That makes perfect sense. The only reason why I'm not considering another 6D though is because it isn't adequate for ML raw shooting, which although it isn't something I use very often it is still nice to have for specific projects.

How many bodies are you looking to pick up? If 2 or more you can use a mix of 5D3 and C100. Again, I have no clue how much you want to/can spend.

Only one body. I want to keep the 6D as second body and a NEX5N + speedbooster as third (usually some sort of safe shot). Spending around €3k would be ideal.

My only concern at this point is whether I should spend the extra buck (or two!) on the C100 considering that it's a 'proper' movie camera.

Recognizing there are many reasons why not to mix brands, you can get Nikon D600s for a song on Craigslist.  It's a better camera than the 5Dii and 6D.  Very rugged camera.  If there is an oil problem, Nikon will replace the shutter and it becomes a D610.  Nikon can use any Nikon glass.  

As for video RAW, a Blackmagic Cinema camera with an OIS lens is rock-solid in my experience.  VERY easy to use.  As much as I love Magic Lantern, it isn't developed for professional/event use IMHO.  

• Administrators

The 5D Mark III is a good option but have you considered the GH4 as well? The slow-mo would be a nice artistic flourish for weddings. It's small and unobtrusive. You can roll for hours in 1080p and it shares one of the C100's features in that the HDMI output is uncompressed 4:2:2. 4K if you choose to shoot it will give you better looking 1080p and the ability to crop in post, all with file sizes less than for 5D Mark III raw when you really need the extra quality.

However you may need to invest in new lenses to suit the smaller sensor.

Thanks for the helpful replies!

I was looking at avoiding investing in a new system since I want as much compatibility as possible (for example if one of my 3 cameras fails I'll still be able to shoot with the remaining cameras and use all my lenses), apart from the cost of new lenses.

Then again, the GH4 does look like a nice alternative and while I'm not really interested in 4k, the 96fps might come in handy so I'll definitely keep it in mind! Do you reckon there's gonna be any sort of speed booster for the GH4 to get EF lenses? That would be great!

the HDMI output is uncompressed 4:2:2. 4K

Would that not require that "brick" and a specific recorder to capture 4:2:2 4k? This is not so clear to me but from what I understood when both are needed that would add more then double the prize of the gh4?

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

If you really do need a professional tool primarily for shooting weddings, surely the 'video cameras' are the ones that make sense (C100 / GH4 / FS100)? 

If you can wait, I suppose it's possible the C100 will drop in price quite a bit this year with the arrival of the GH4 etc. If I was spending the kind of money you're talking about at this time, I'd definitely be waiting 6 months if I could. 

The C100, whilst practical and easy to use, does look very videoy, image quality wise i'm not a fan at all, same goes for the C300 though that does look a bit better (though LOG and cinema glass can look decent but that's way out your range). The FS100 is cumbersome, poor in low light compared to the MKIII and again not that nice looking. The 5DMKIII i find is a nicer image in all but sharpness (though i don't like overly sharp images anyway). If you are happy with the MKII workflow and practicality for weddings, i'd definitely go MKIII since it slips into the kit you already have. You also get to use it with RAW for shorts, music videos etc and that really is fantastic image quality for the price. The GH4 is a viable option but can you be bothered with the lenses hassle?

The 5D Mark III is a good option but have you considered the GH4 as well? The slow-mo would be a nice artistic flourish for weddings. It's small and unobtrusive. You can roll for hours in 1080p and it shares one of the C100's features in that the HDMI output is uncompressed 4:2:2. 4K if you choose to shoot it will give you better looking 1080p and the ability to crop in post, all with file sizes less than for 5D Mark III raw when you really need the extra quality.

However you may need to invest in new lenses to suit the smaller sensor.

Andrew:  What is your thought (although it is premature) on the internal codec ability of gh4 vs. 5d3 raw?