Raw, 5d, gh2/gh3 ... "tests" vs. "production"

jasonmillard81

I've noticed that more than 50% (closer to 80-90%) of videos on vimeo/youtube of the cameras we discuss (panasonic vs canon raw) are "tests" of people's children, random shots in a city or field.

Is there a way to find out of worthy videos that were actually compiled for production?  

(i.e. commercials, documentaries, narratives, travel logs, etc.)

It would be nice to see what can actually be accomplished with these systems and it may actually serve to help consumers make more informed decisions rather then looking at a static candle or apple at different ISO between a hacked GH2 and ML raw...

I mean I have a 5D and am worried that if I invest in the storage for raw that the process and time to correct and edit to output is not worth it since I am doing this as an amateur vs. going into the M43 systems which do a better job at getting detail out of their codecs ...

just curious on thoughts and responses...

thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Test shots of static subjects (an apple or candle) between a hacked and non-hacked GH2 are the only way to compare them and know the difference properly. You wouldn't be able to compare two cameras based on two narratives shot on them for example, too many variables.
What I mean is that test shots have their place and they do serve us very well really.

However I do agree and to get a taste of what a certain camera/lens is capable of I do like to watch productions done by them.

It is true that tests are the only way to see differences changing one variable at a time. There are many commercials and other professional productions shot on those cameras, but you'd never know to what extent the merit of how they look is on the DP/cameraman, colorist, etc. Since you are an enthusiast, chances are that you wouldn't get the same look with those cameras without a crew (people specialize in specific tasks of filmmaking for a reason!). I've seen commercials shot on a t2i that looked gorgeous.

Having said that, you'd probably experience an improvement in the look of your videos provided you had a better  camera and the time to get the most out of it.