This reviewer says BMPCC only has 9 stops of dynamic range...

brianl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Raw is looking good to me.
Raw is also easier to use for me, as ProRes has to be more carefully shot.
9 stops? Maybe, but still better than most other similarly priced cameras/

My GH3 has 9 ish stops and my BMPCC has easily more DR in ProRes. No idea about RAW as the extra workflow hassle makes it impractical for me. Not that difficult to get it right 'in camera' anyway.

My GH3 has 9 ish stops and my BMPCC has easily more DR in ProRes. No idea about RAW as the extra workflow hassle makes it impractical for me. Not that difficult to get it right 'in camera' anyway.

The GH3 can record up to 11 stops, spread in adventurous curves over the (less than) 256 steps. If the BMPCC can only record 9 stops, it does so in 1024 linear steps (Film-LOG). There is way more detail between the stops, and there is way more color information (16 million nuances vs. over a trillion).

Take the image from this post from a german thread. Does this picture contain 13 stops dynamic range? I doubt so. 

I believe the test is correct. 

If its only 9 stops of DR, then that sure is a big & robust 9 stops!

I've used RAW & ProRes Film/Video modes - they are all a dream (well RAW is an extra hassle I can live without).

Even if it turns out that it really is only 9, the pocket just shits all over the majority of DSLRs or anything else close to its price range for that matter when it comes to image.

The way you can push the footage in any direction is simply amazing - i've been doing some test CC/Grades all day for a doc i've nearly finished shooting & whatever i want to do, i can do.

You just can't get hung up on this type of nit picking stuff!

Its a damn nice Cinema Camera in a ridiculously small package, which produces some of the best images i've seen in a long while.

Everytime i use it i just chuckle to myself about the nonsense spewed by all the detractors.

Can't use it, won't use - who gives a fuck!

The BMPCC looks to have better DR than my GH2. But the French bloggers says the GH2 only has 3 stops of DR. 

Do they? 

Even with Chromes translator, I find it hard to follow. But I doubt this very much.

It's a good example though how 8-bit can't reproduce a high dynamic range. One of the shortcomings of this camera (I came to love so deeply) was the banding in contrasty grades, a thing I didn't encounter with my BMPCC.

The BMPCC looks to have better DR than my GH2. But the French bloggers says the GH2 only has 3 stops of DR. 

Well that explains it all then & with that reasoning then yes the Pocket has far more DR!

The French do like to be a little different & having lived there for 8+ years i found this all over the shop - a prime example is, normally you grade papers & the mark will be a percentage (0-100), in France they want you to grade between 0-20!

So i presume they're using a different scale or something, but in the end they come to the same reasoning that the Pocket has more DR than a DSLR - all is well with the world once more!

GH2 has about six stops when shooting video and about four of it are useful.  Similarly, Kodak Vision stock has a reported 15 stops but someone like David Mullen shoots knowing he has about ten stops of useful range in the end.

Shian Storm has a very informative video on the DR of the GH2 and DSLRs in general:

...of course the Pocket has more DR than a DSLR.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone dispute that.  Even in ProRes mode you've got far more range.  Assuming it's as-advertised and based on the same dynamics as the BMCC it's very close to shooting on an Epic in RAW mode and has been demonstrated to offer slightly better highlight retention than the Epic.  But the French blogger is off claiming the GH2 only has three stops, if that's in fact what he said.

The GH3 can record up to 11 stops, spread in adventurous curves over the (less than) 256 steps. If the BMPCC can only record 9 stops, it does so in 1024 linear steps (Film-LOG). There is way more detail between the stops, and there is way more color information (16 million nuances vs. over a trillion).

Take the image from this post from a german thread. Does this picture contain 13 stops dynamic range? I doubt so. 

I believe the test is correct.

No way the GH3 has 11 stops of DR in movie mode. In RAW stills it's only just nudging 12 stops.