My C70 just arrived!

Manav S

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Shot 70% shot the C70 and 30% A7SIII.  More coming soon! 

That was great footage and editing. Is the band's name stone deaf? Shazam did not come up with a result

Trying to leave buyer's bias aside, do you think the C70 is worth its price tag now that you have shot with it? Would a form of raw recording from it, help you in the editing and the overall look/feel or do you think it is just right?   How would you describe the performance of the aF and its general handling?

P.S The A7siii / c70 footage seems to cut together very well

On 12/27/2020 at 12:39 PM, josdr said:

That was great footage and editing. Is the band's name stone deaf? Shazam did not come up with a result

Trying to leave buyer's bias aside, do you think the C70 is worth its price tag now that you have shot with it? Would a form of raw recording from it, help you in the editing and the overall look/feel or do you think it is just right?   How would you describe the performance of the aF and its general handling?

P.S The A7siii / c70 footage seems to cut together very well

The video is for a guitar pedal brand, and the track was recorded especially for this video. 

I need more time with the C70 and I need to see how it is with RF lenses (but they are $$€€££!!) 

Id say it’s definitely worth the price tag. It fits in everything a video camera has into a very helpful (and innovative) form factor. You just pick up and shoot, no messing around. It’s the form factor of the future, in my opinion. 

Its always nice to have RAW, however I barely use it. For its purpose, I don’t think it needs it. But is always nice to have. 

The footage is very high dynamic range, I’m not used to it being this high. It’s easy to grade and the footage looks great. The A7SIII is a little more contrasty. 

4k120 is slightly softer, whereas the A7SIII is the same in every 4k frame rate. 

The AF is good on Sigma 18-35, not great on the 50mm. Not used RF yet. It’s not as good as the A7SIII with native lenses. The A7SIII is more featured and works fully in all recording modes. 

I need more time with the C70 but my early impressions are very positive. The A7SIII is really in it’s own “space”, it’s probably the best all round video tool for the money and in my opinion, “camera of the year.” It’s almost flawless and very refined. 

The C70 wins as a conceptual innovation. It’s beautiful to hold and makes shooting very joyful. 

3 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

It’s beautiful to hold and makes shooting very joyful. 

While the C70 has many advantages and attractive features, I think the above is probably the most important factor of any camera because it impacts the level of creativity and inspiration of the video, not just what colour or clarity the pixels are in the output files.

I consistently find that creativity evaporates when I feel like i'm fighting the equipment rather than it having my back and supporting the work.  In the creative pursuits, this is a night-and-day difference, but of course, is also different for all people, so it's about the synergy between the camera and the user rather than one camera suiting everyone.

Great stuff!

7 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The AF is good on Sigma 18-35, not great on the 50mm. Not used RF yet. It’s not as good as the A7SIII with native lenses. The A7SIII is more featured and works fully in all recording modes. 

The RF lenses have been designed very video centric, I think you will get great AF one you use them. thanks for the heads up!

On 12/29/2020 at 11:09 AM, josdr said:

The RF lenses have been designed very video centric, I think you will get great AF one you use them. thanks for the heads up!

Interesting that you say that. I own the 24-105 RF and I can tell you that the EF version has a stabilizer that is smoother for video work. The EF version has more of a pleasing sway, while the RF version can feel jumpy. I will be selling and purchasing the EF version that is better for video and half the price!

I also find the third "control ring" to be incredibly annoying. This wouldn't be as much of an issue with a prime lens, but when there's 3 gears on a lens, it becomes really difficult to operate on the fly.

RF.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 10:15 AM, BenEricson said:

Interesting that you say that. I own the 24-105 RF and I can tell you that the EF version has a stabilizer that is smoother for video work. The EF version has more of a pleasing sway, while the RF version can feel jumpy. I will be selling and purchasing the EF version that is better for video and half the price!

I also find the third "control ring" to be incredibly annoying. This wouldn't be as much of an issue with a prime lens, but when there's 3 gears on a lens, it becomes really difficult to operate on the fly.

They were definitely designed with video in mind, focus groups, the focus motors etc. What you are describing is operation of the lens and they definitely need to mature there.   Then again that is then problems with Canon corporate , they are behind the times in dealing with problems that most of the people using their gear will face ( R5). RF is ridiculously expensive at the moment. They were making fun of Sony for not having enough lenses when it started out and now there is a plethora of such lenses that can do stellar work.

I had a play with a friends Canon R6 with the new Canon Rf 35mm 1.8 and was really surprised by how noisy it was when focusing on auto -  I would have thought if it was  designed for video this would be high up the list of design requests. Is what I found with Canon is that for all their great auto focus, the only lenses that didn't make horrible motor noise in AF were the really slow ef-s STM zooms. The Fuji and Sony cameras I've used have some nice fast silent AF lenses, are there any fast ones with Canon I don't know about

14 hours ago, ade towell said:

I had a play with a friends Canon R6 with the new Canon Rf 35mm 1.8 and was really surprised by how noisy it was when focusing on auto -  I would have thought if it was  designed for video this would be high up the list of design requests. Is what I found with Canon is that for all their great auto focus, the only lenses that didn't make horrible motor noise in AF were the really slow ef-s STM zooms. The Fuji and Sony cameras I've used have some nice fast silent AF lenses, are there any fast ones with Canon I don't know about

On movide mode the noise is much quieter, RF 35mm 1.8 should really have AF limiter like the 85mm do, it is quite annoying to jump to macro mode while shooting.