Has Anyone Switched From: DaVinci + DNG / BRAW, to, Final Cut Pro X, ARM Mac + ProRes RAW?

andrgl

I'm considering picking up an ARM Mac and Atomos Shogun 7 for what I assume is currently the best exprience for ProRes RAW.

Currently shooting CDNG with a FS5II to an Odyssey 7Q and editing on PC with DaVinci Resolve. It's... OK.

Please chime in if you're editing ProRes RAW on the new ARM Macs! I would love to hear your thoughts, good and bad. 🙂

@Oliver Daniel any updates on switching to the ARM mac?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nobody in the industry works on final cut sadly. Broadcast is on Avid. Then the indie filmmaker is on Adobe Premiere. For colour most indies will work on Davinci or wing it on the basic tools of premiere for corporate crap made with stock footage. And by the way Arri Alexa generates Prores 444 files. The commercial industry and the cinema industry has been working in Prores for ages. There's no way it's going to change. So I don't think closing yourself in a weird isolated workflow isgoing to help your cause. Stay compatible with others workflow and the industry's standard.

More people might work in Final Cut if Apple added more useful features natively.

If they push hard with their new M chip based macs and Continue to update and improve final cut they have a very good chance to eat into Premiere Pros “indie” pie. Especially if you can buy a $1000-1500 computer and edit 4K, 6K, and 8K footage off of a $200 SSD drive on the go.

The indie market is huge and growing.

It will take much more momentum and time for it to push back into the industry in any meaningful way. You can see they are trying with the $30K Mac Pro and the ProRes acceleration cards. 

I own a mac with a nvidia card and the latest IOS platform doesn't support nvidia drivers anymore. Basically, program obsolescence is a problem for many mac owners. I don't see myself with a mac in the near future. I also have a PC, all the pieces can be replaced. For a environmentally friendly workflow, it makes more sense to repair and reuse. Mac is in the philosophy :" Buy expensive product every 5 years and throw away via there buy back option and start again."

On 12/19/2020 at 6:51 PM, andrgl said:

I'm considering picking up an ARM Mac and Atomos Shogun 7 for what I assume is currently the best exprience for ProRes RAW.

Currently shooting CDNG with a FS5II to an Odyssey 7Q and editing on PC with DaVinci Resolve. It's... OK.

Please chime in if you're editing ProRes RAW on the new ARM Macs! I would love to hear your thoughts, good and bad. 🙂

@Oliver Daniel any updates on switching to the ARM mac?

I have it but I haven’t even took it out the box yet. Too many projects. 

6 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

What's people's experiences with the m1 so far bang for buck? I'm really doubting between the 16 gig pro and a Omen 15 with a rtx 2070

I recently received my Mac mini M1 with 16gb. I love it but has its limitations. 

Sony A7Siii - Everything runs perfect until 120. I get a little lag with some 120 clips. I am running the M1 resolve. Grading is easy. Adding grain or NR does drop frames in 100%.

BM - Runs perfect with grades. Less drop frames when adding NR or grain 100%.

I am so happy with the purchase. I shoot more photos and the system burns through any file. The system is almost silent which is helpful. 

Another thing to note is while rendering video I can still use other programs. On my other system I had to wait until the file was completely finished to work on anything else. 

On 12/19/2020 at 10:53 PM, Cameramoto said:

Nobody in the industry works on final cut sadly. Broadcast is on Avid. Then the indie filmmaker is on Adobe Premiere. For colour most indies will work on Davinci or wing it on the basic tools of premiere for corporate crap made with stock footage. And by the way Arri Alexa generates Prores 444 files. The commercial industry and the cinema industry has been working in Prores for ages. There's no way it's going to change. So I don't think closing yourself in a weird isolated workflow isgoing to help your cause. Stay compatible with others workflow and the industry's standard.

False. 

People do work on FCP in “the industry”. 

1 hour ago, DFason said:

I recently received my Mac mini M1 with 16gb. I love it but has its limitations. 

Sony A7Siii - Everything runs perfect until 120. I get a little lag with some 120 clips. I am running the M1 resolve. Grading is easy. Adding grain or NR does drop frames in 100%.

BM - Runs perfect with grades. Less drop frames when adding NR or grain 100%.

I am so happy with the purchase. I shoot more photos and the system burns through any file. The system is almost silent which is helpful. 

Another thing to note is while rendering video I can still use other programs. On my other system I had to wait until the file was completely finished to work on anything else. 

Looking forward to using mine, although I expect it will perform a bit better in FCP. 

Not even took it out the box yet, not had the time! Have to wait til new year.