Nanlite FS300 watt LED (bowens mount) 349$

Cameramoto

Light arrived

1st impression, size wise it is a bit bigger/heavier than FS150, the fan noise is definitely more louder than FS150, but when the light is at my camera side the pickup from mic is ok.. (1.5m away). Definitely love the power increase though!

184832550_1103972186764403_2121079046097473591_n.jpg

185266672_438506027472117_6708368969869152374_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just got mine in the mail. Ran it for an hour and have already disassembled it 😄

Fan swap is relatively easy, I might make a video on it when more parts come in, I tried a Noctua 120mm 7 or 900 rpm and it doesn't push enough air.

EZ to damage the male JST connector on the board though - more cosmetic than anything else.

It's louder than my computer!

14 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Just got mine in the mail. Ran it for an hour and have already disassembled it 😄

Fan swap is relatively easy, I might make a video on it when more parts come in, I tried a Noctua 120mm 7 or 900 rpm and it doesn't push enough air.

EZ to damage the male JST connector on the board though - more cosmetic than anything else.

It's louder than my computer!

So have you found the perfect fan to swap to?

Did 2 days of interview with both Forza 60B and Nanlite 300, they both work really well together!

187378920_143350261113273_1606811036087343867_n.jpg

Not sure, couldn't find the specs of the stock fan on Google. I ordered the grey 1300rpm noctua and will see how that goes, might have to bump up to 1700. The light doesn't display temperature so I'll have to figure out where to measure it, I'm assuming the metal part near the sensor should work.

Stock fan I searched online, couldn't find anything for the specific model. I'm guessing it's a 2000rpm fan?

2101122731_FSS300Fansmall2.jpg.8927f44ad0b92345a2256a7bc00209f7.jpg

I am still waiting for the 1300rpm Noctua to come in next week.  I tried a Noctua 1700rpm and that is also too loud, it's quieter than stock but still way too loud.

The design of the light also doesn't seem to have any sound design at all, the heat sink adds a lot of woosh and turbulence, so there's only so much you can do (much like all the other cheap COBs).

I will do a heat delta test, I'm willing to let it run a bit hotter as I'm in a cooler climate.

Fan came today. Non scientific testing since I can't get access to the temperature sensor (without more tools).

Fan replaced with Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1300

Temperature delta: apprx +2 degrees C, fan noise comparable to Aputure C300D II, different characteristic.  May be slightly louder, but much quieter than stock, negligible temperature increase.

Lowering fan speed to around 1000rpm (guessing, using no name fan reducer) temperature delta up to 9C, a little bit less noise, not really worth it.

Lowering fan speed to around 750rpm, temperature delta up to 19C, runs almost silent.

I'm guessing if you ran it around 900rpm it could be very quiet and get you +12C

I'm leaving it at 1300 for now.

Might make a video later, planning on using 4x for 1200W!

You can do whatever you want for the connection, there's many ways to do it. You don't have to solder if you don't want to. If you don't already have supplies there's actually a cable you can buy on Amazon, crj 2 pin to 3 pin adapter for $8usd. Which you're paying for the convenience. Obviously only works with 3 pin fans.

Just did a quick recording test. 

At 6ft away using C300D II as baseline, hyper cardiod mic pointed directly at front of fan. Gain to my voice set at -12dB (standing next to light). In post raised levels by 30dB and used Audition's average RMS reading for the scanned selections and noted the difference. Also tested at 1ft. Of course the closer in you are, the larger the difference will be.

6ft /1ft FS300 Stock ~ +12dB/13.6dB

6ft/1ft FS300 Noctua 1300rpm ~ + 1.2dB/3.6dB

So in real life, with your light anywhere from 3-9ft away, with the mic pointed away from it and much closer to subject, you probably won't add too much noise using the Noctua 1300 rpm fan (guessing less than 1dB). If you put the mic right next to the lights and closeup, then the F300 with the noctua is like 4dB louder.

Gotta love the marketing for the FS300 "A real asset in sound-sensitive environments, the FS-300 employs fan cooling for quiet performance." ... 12dB louder than C300D II...

Appreciate the update. The fan is clearly the major weak point of this design. For a few dollars more, Nanlite could have easily and significantly improved this and had a real contender straight out of the box. On the other hand, the fact that it's easy enough to swap the fans out is actually an advantage over the Forza line.

How does the FS300 output stack up to the 300D?

https://www.amazon.com/CRJ-2-Pin-Female-Adapter-2-Pack/dp/B083CRN5L6/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=crj+3+pin&qid=1623176603&sr=8-17

You'll have to learn by experience but DIY is an expensive hobby 😄 This "looks" like the right connector, but looks can be deceiving as many connectors look similar but are different sizes. This should work for 3 and 4 pin fans.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, scotchtape said:

Fan came today. Non scientific testing since I can't get access to the temperature sensor (without more tools).

Fan replaced with Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1300

Temperature delta: apprx +2 degrees C, fan noise comparable to Aputure C300D II, different characteristic.  May be slightly louder, but much quieter than stock, negligible temperature increase.

Lowering fan speed to around 1000rpm (guessing, using no name fan reducer) temperature delta up to 9C, a little bit less noise, not really worth it.

Lowering fan speed to around 750rpm, temperature delta up to 19C, runs almost silent.

I'm guessing if you ran it around 900rpm it could be very quiet and get you +12C

I'm leaving it at 1300 for now.

Might make a video later, planning on using 4x for 1200W!

Thanks for all your work with this. If you do find you have time on your hands, then a video about the light (or the fan replacement process) would be great. Even if it is a simple process, there are people out there who have a tough time with all things electrical.

It's not that I hate electronics... it's just that electronics seem to hate me 😞