Nanlite FS300 watt LED (bowens mount) 349$

Cameramoto

18 hours ago, herein2020 said:

You really are better off getting the V mount batteries or a gas generator. My gas generator is great when I can use it and it almost cost the same as the product that you referenced...only caveats of course is it can't be used where there are noise restrictions or indoors.

Generators are my mortal enemies!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey there 👋 

So I’m personally deciding between a few units, the Nanlite included. Adorama has their new Clar 350 with supposedly quieter fans (in contrast to the 300w model) listed at $450. I also have a deal for a lightly used Godox VL300 for $540 after tax/shipping. 

I was about to order the Godox before I saw the Nanlite and Clar. Now I’m leaning towards the Clar. The power unit setup seems similar to the aputure 600d pro, but I may be mistaken.

I really only care for the bare bulb output, color accuracy, and fan noise. Opinions?

1 hour ago, j_one said:

Hey there 👋 

So I’m personally deciding between a few units, the Nanlite included. Adorama has their new Clar 350 with supposedly quieter fans (in contrast to the 300w model) listed at $450. I also have a deal for a lightly used Godox VL300 for $540 after tax/shipping. 

I was about to order the Godox before I saw the Nanlite and Clar. Now I’m leaning towards the Clar. The power unit setup seems similar to the aputure 600d pro, but I may be mistaken.

I really only care for the bare bulb output, color accuracy, and fan noise. Opinions?

For me, all in one unit are so much easier to work with. I have the clar 300, having always to  connect like 3 unit is a big hassel. Now some people will say that these unit have battery power, but the price of those batteries would cost like the same as those units. If you want to run those 300 watt units, better go the generator or those solar generators, because vmount for these wattage are very very costly.

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

For me, all in one unit are so much easier to work with. I have the clar 300, having always to  connect like 3 unit is a big hassel. Now some people will say that these unit have battery power, but the price of those batteries would cost like the same as those units. If you want to run those 300 watt units, better go the generator or those solar generators, because vmount for these wattage are very very costly.

Apparently they changed the design of the 350 by combining those units, so it isn’t AS cumbersome in theory.

I do hear you though. I mostly intended to run it from walls. I appreciate the reduced power draw and running temps LEDs bring

Me neither. I think both of the products are relatively new as of the date of this post. The 350 fits my budget/needs though. Someone in the comment section of that video claimed the 500 was little more than a stop brighter than the 350 but who knows.

I think I might just go for it. I just don't want to be wrong if the godox/nanlite is a better bet. Talk me out of it man..

On 12/19/2020 at 7:56 PM, IronFilm said:

Generators are my mortal enemies!!

Hilarious and so true. I actually have a pretty good generator that is only 52dBA when run under full load and even quieter when run at less than full load.  As soon as you round the corner for a building or go inside a structure and close the door you cannot hear it. I did a lot of research before I went the generator route, but none of the battery options were going to power a smoke machine, panel lights, and video lights for hours except a generator. I mainly just use it for music videos so I don't need the audio from on set. With my generator setup I can shoot in weird places like abandoned farm houses, rail yards, middle of a deserted road, etc without having to think about power.

18 hours ago, j_one said:

Me neither. I think both of the products are relatively new as of the date of this post. The 350 fits my budget/needs though. Someone in the comment section of that video claimed the 500 was little more than a stop brighter than the 350 but who knows.

I think I might just go for it. I just don't want to be wrong if the godox/nanlite is a better bet. Talk me out of it man..

I like the power setup of the Clar better. The Godox VL power is pretty annoying to have to deal with but once its all set up its not that bad. I can tell you the VL300 is whisper quiet when running. I had to shoot a full days worth of content with the talent and a shotgun mic mounted on the camera cage about 8' away from the talent in a very small untreated room and not one bit of fan noise was picked up by the mic....now that's impressive. I'm not sure if the Clar is that quiet or if you care about sound at all.

I would stick to lights that aren't divided between the head and a huge power brick. The old godox where one unit. The nanlite fs series is one light unit. It's just a lot more practical. Think about it, for 3 lights you need to drag 6 devices and 6+ cables. What a mess to setup! No I want to replace my old fresnels with an easy solution.

8 hours ago, Cameramoto said:

I would stick to lights that aren't divided between the head and a huge power brick.

If the light has no fans because the only fans are in the power brick, then that is a much better set up than everything self contained but having the noisy fans much closer to the talent. 

12 hours ago, Cameramoto said:

I would stick to lights that aren't divided between the head and a huge power brick. The old godox where one unit. The nanlite fs series is one light unit. It's just a lot more practical. Think about it, for 3 lights you need to drag 6 devices and 6+ cables. What a mess to setup! No I want to replace my old fresnels with an easy solution.

Imo the best is the Aputure Mk II versions head plus controller/power. It allows you to power with battery and reduce the weight and heat on the head. All in one they lack battery support and they become very heavy on the stand. 

On 12/22/2020 at 7:31 PM, Cameramoto said:

I think the biggest deciding factor will be how much noise the fan makes in those single unit lights.  My VL300's put off heat from the head, the control unit, and the power brick....but they are whisper quiet and I am thinking they got it that quiet by giving heat so many places to dissipate which means the fan has less work to do. I will take my current setup any day over one that is only a single power unit but has a noisy fan.

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

My VL300's put off heat from the head, the control unit, and the power brick....but they are whisper quiet and I am thinking they got it that quiet by giving heat so many places to dissipate which means the fan has less work to do. I will take my current setup any day over one that is only a single power unit but has a noisy fan.

Yup - same here with my VL300. I also have a SL200 for which I bought after-market fans to retrofit. They're still in the packaging.

• 4 months later...

Nanlite FS-300 is on sale atm, making it quite cheaper than Amarian 200D or VL150 (on special too), just not sure about the fan noise for normal taking head?  Forza 300 is also on sale too making it cheaper than VL300, but at over 250% price of FS-300 not sure if that is worth that extra.. I m tempted to change my 120D II to either one, I got Forza 60B which will be my battery powered light.

3 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Nice, you should pick one up! Not on sale anywhere in NA that I can find (Amazon, BH, Adorama) or eBay or AE 😞

Yeah just ordered one, even if the noise is louder it is still plenty useful for other stuff beside talking head.  After using 120D II for a year and half I definitely want something more powerful, and if I really need to use it for remote shooting I can get those solar generator/power station which is a lot cheaper than 2X V mount battery with 12A requirement.

fs300 sale.JPG