Canon set to announce 4K 120fps RAW C500 and Cinema 1D 4K DSLR - specs and price revealed

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/cinema-1d.jpg[/img]

Canon are due to issue a press release ahead of NAB. What my source says about the new cameras is pretty extraordinary even in light of what Sony are doing with the FS700.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7846/canon-set-to-announce-4k-120fps-raw-c500-and-a-cinema-1d-dslr-specs-and-price-revealed/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elitist f**cunts. No offense, but $15,000 for a lens on a $10,000 body? Who has that sort of money in austerity Britain!? Yeah, I know...the rich

What's funny is all the "it's the film maker, not the camera" stuff. It is true, but it becomes increasingly hard to invoke that sentiment. I'm excited about the technological 'great leap forward', but only from a nerdy perspective. I'm more likely to snatch a pair of angel wings than own such a beast...

someone release something revolutionary in the $2,000-$3,000 range please.  if all of NAB's big announcements just end up being $10,000+ cameras that require $5,000+ external recorders to reach their full potential.. well hell, none of that is very revolutionary, because by then you're up to the price of a scarlet and that revolution has already happened.

I think that people had some rather unrealistic expectations for this launch.

Canon's flagship DSLR, the EOS-1D X(with HD rather than 4K video) is set around $6,800 body only. To think that they would cannibalize its sales with a 4K camera at lower price point before the 1D X has even been made widely available seems a little odd.

The fact of the matter is that what has been leaked about the Canon announcement is very much in line what most of us expected from the even where they launched the C300.

Prices have come down a lot. To see competition in the 4K and slow-mo capable full-HD and up arena is very good for the industry in general. There has not been that much competition in that arena in the higher priced tiers to date.

So why did people expect much lower-priced offerings?

[quote author=Per Lichtman link=topic=569.msg3750#msg3750 date=1334187781]

Canon's flagship DSLR, the EOS-1D X(with HD rather than 4K video) is set around $6,800 body only. To think that they would cannibalize its sales with a 4K camera at lower price point before the 1D X has even been made widely available seems a little odd.
[/quote]

yeah but the EOS-1DX is primarily a stills camera. why not release a cinema version that is primarily a cinema version with lesser stills functionality?

[quote author=Per Lichtman link=topic=569.msg3753#msg3753 date=1334188775]
Because there is no competing product that does so at that price point and the company has no reason to lower the margins on the market segment.
[/quote]

right. i would argue that it is simply not revolutionary enough at that price point though. yes there is no dslr shooting 4k mjpeg at that price. but there is a red scarlet for a few thousand more that has RAW. there is the sony fs700 for a few thousand less that has, presumably, much higher frame rates.

yes, it's what we all expected and it "makes sense" given the parameters that canon has outlined for themselves by their other releases. my point was that it's not revolutionary. everytime a new camera appears it has some new feature but lacks a bunch of others. 

[quote]my point was that it's not revolutionary. everytime a new camera appears it has some new feature but lacks a bunch of others.  [/quote]

exactly ! under 30K, i believe every professional camera is a compromise. They give you some piece of tech but fail to deliver the whole package.
i don't know whether they technically can't at this price tag or if it's just market driven, but every single manufacturer (even the self-appointed "revolutionary" RED ) does the same.

Also, we have to consider the accessories: $5K for 4k recorders, $15K for cinema glass, wireless Follow Focus...
i guess it is not targeted at $3-4K body shooters.

• Administrators
[quote author=meltycat link=topic=569.msg3742#msg3742 date=1334182825]
The "Cinema 1D"?

..so where is the Cinema 5D?
[/quote]

It isn't the forum ***URL not allowed*** is it? :)

It isn't the Mark III

It could only be the camera of our dreams circa $3000 in 2 years.

• Administrators
[quote author=meltycat link=topic=569.msg3748#msg3748 date=1334185494]
someone release something revolutionary in the $2,000-$3,000 range please.  if all of NAB's big announcements just end up being $10,000+ cameras that require $5,000+ external recorders to reach their full potential.. well hell, none of that is very revolutionary, because by then you're up to the price of a scarlet and that revolution has already happened.
[/quote]

I too am more interested in accessible 'Apple market' cameras rather than 'IBM mainframe' $10,000 crap.