My first day with anamorphic lens

ickaro656

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Some pretty captivating images in there.

Not bad at all for first experience with the eiki type lens. If this is your first shooting of duel focus- it is something you will get used too, especially when the LCD screen can give a false sense of sharpness when the image is squeezed onto it. ...like most things - practice makes perfect.

Maybe grab a set of cheap diopters to play with - they will allow closer focus and work very well with the shooting style in this video (for closeups/ interior details etc).

It's worth having a play to check what the minimum focus distance /sharpness is on the eiki when at various stops on taking lens, you should find the lens sharpens up noticeably from f5.6. I suspect the softness in many shots is caused by the taking lens being close to f2 for a few shots? (YouTube compression probably makes it look even softer)

I really like the look, I would love to see more when you have refined the setup to get the focus/sharpness a bit better (you will).

I like the look of this footage too.  However I think your anamorphic is aligned wrong.  Out of focus bokeh should be vertical (up/down) versus sideways ovals (left/right).  When you look at the lens from the front, the oval opening should be vertical.  Also to help alignment (vertical lines like doors, walls, windows, etc) use a cheap LED torch.  Shine it into the front and then you can align it with the line of the flare.

Dual focus is a pain.  Really pain, but you have to get used to it.  I think you need to really understand the distance markers and follow it.  Get good at estimating the distance to your subject, then you can dial in the proper focus.  It takes a lot of practice.

I really like the footage and look of it.  Keep working at it!

Thanks.

Some pretty captivating images in there.

Not bad at all for first experience with the eiki type lens. If this is your first shooting of duel focus- it is something you will get used too, especially when the LCD screen can give a false sense of sharpness when the image is squeezed onto it. ...like most things - practice makes perfect.

Maybe grab a set of cheap diopters to play with - they will allow closer focus and work very well with the shooting style in this video (for closeups/ interior details etc).

It's worth having a play to check what the minimum focus distance /sharpness is on the eiki when at various stops on taking lens, you should find the lens sharpens up noticeably from f5.6. I suspect the softness in many shots is caused by the taking lens being close to f2 for a few shots? (YouTube compression probably makes it look even softer)

I really like the look, I would love to see more when you have refined the setup to get the focus/sharpness a bit better (you will).

Thanks. Yes I made a big mistake. all of the footage was taken at f2, so I think is for that the softness that I cant understand. Well with a 1600 iso of the BMPCC will be very dificult to get acceptable night images at f5.6.

I like the look of this footage too.  However I think your anamorphic is aligned wrong.  Out of focus bokeh should be vertical (up/down) versus sideways ovals (left/right).  When you look at the lens from the front, the oval opening should be vertical.  Also to help alignment (vertical lines like doors, walls, windows, etc) use a cheap LED torch.  Shine it into the front and then you can align it with the line of the flare.

Dual focus is a pain.  Really pain, but you have to get used to it.  I think you need to really understand the distance markers and follow it.  Get good at estimating the distance to your subject, then you can dial in the proper focus.  It takes a lot of practice.

I really like the footage and look of it.  Keep working at it!

tottally agree. Was aligned wrong. Here in Mexico I dont know anyone that han any experience with this kind of lenses, so I have to experiment a lot.

For your first attempt that was really nice. I think everyone has said most things.

For diopters a +0.5 will allow you to focus a bit closer to your subjects & a +1 even more so - you won't need much more than that. Also, experiment with different taking lenses - a 50mm would be nice & you might be able to go wider with the pocket (I can use a 24mm with my Kowa for B&H with no vignette).

As far as your Nikon taking lens is concerned, its really good so just stop it down to f2.8 for your night shots - unless you have loads of light & then you can go down even more, but night is night after all.

Also, remember that the Pocket's ProRes can be pushed & noise reduction & sharpening can help.

You'll get used to dual focus really quickly, its just practice.

Good luck