Beautiful 4K Blackmagic Production Camera footage from James Miller

Andrew Reid

Does anyone see the title of the thread, something about 4K footage from the new Blackmagic camera?

Feel free to start a new thread for the grading discussion. Otherwise I will have to delete further off topic posts.

Thanks!

I agree. Off topic posts should be deleted or moved out from here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What a tiresome thread and a complete waste of time from all involved, full of trolling and no constructive criticism. 

I think The BMPC seems like a great tool, although the apparent poor performance in low light is a little teeny bit off-putting. Doesn't matter, I have plenty of lights just in case, if I ever use this camera for anything.

Has anybody come across any other shoots with the BMPC? 

I'd really like us to settle on an acronym for the thing. It's the Blackmagic Production Camera. BMPC. All this nonsense about BMCPC, BM4K, BM 4K, BMPCC4K. Blah.  :lol:

Yes! I think EOSHD should take an official stand on this

BMCC: Black Magic Cinema Camera

BMPC: Black Magic Production Camera

BMPO: Black Magic Pocket

I'm really thinking this footage, while beautifully done, was not the best to show off the camera's new higher resolution.  It's really hard to see additional detail in water surfaces, and a beach of round stones.  Something with more fine detail, such as foliage or a street scene, would probably have showed this camera off a lot more.

Andrew, when are you doing your review of this camera?  (Anxiously waiting)

Michael

I'm pretty impressed by this footage. The detail is amazing.

I'm impressed too.  there appears to be a funny thing happening on the blown sun spot on the black magic? - it's gone red.

I assume the redraw is subjected to no sharpening, while the blackmagic uhd pro res is sharpened in camera in some way?  the black magic seems to ping a little more on the very fine details.

conversation about resolution aside, it would only be the wider sensor area of the epic at 5k mode that would tempt me away from the black magic.  Can you buy 20 or so black magics for the same price as one epic?  

Yes! I think EOSHD should take an official stand on this

BMCC: Black Magic Cinema Camera

BMPC: Black Magic Production Camera

BMPO: Black Magic Pocket

I think the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera (that's the full name, right?) goes like BMPCC. So that's one more C thatn the Production Camera.
Actually I thought I was seeing wrong and my mind was closing the C. I think BMPCC is easier to difference on the spot than BMPO which at first sight might confuse some (or maybe just me) that it's written BMPC.

Well, I'm nitpicking, just saying since it's the first time ever I've read "BMPO" anywhere.

I'm impressed too.  there appears to be a funny thing happening on the blown sun spot on the black magic? - it's gone red.

This was/is a common problem with the BMCC.  I thought they got this ironed out in firmware updates, but I guess not.  It looks like it is carrying over to the BMPC.

The RED and BM cameras look very comparable.

Michael

Yep, the low light does suck on this camera. Great image though, if only it had the DR and low light of the Pocket.

I think the GH4 is much more suited to me as an all round 4k camera (stills, low light, slo mo, form factor, lenses etc), although its positive to have the Blackmagic option too for the odd thing here and there. 

I really do think Blackmagic will have another surprise this year with another camera. Either an external device to open up more possibilities with the original BMCC or a completely new camera that would be more a hybrid of the BMCC and Pocket, with higher frame rates. Maybe. 

pocket comparison here for those interested

Nice comparison.

The moire is finally gone!

Rolling shutter, gone!

Detail up.

Aliasing improved.

Sharpness improved.

Dynamic range down slightly.

Low light performance down (800 ISO max - max ISO not mentioned in tech specs on website or in manual that I could see)

Sun spots back.  Ugh!

They didn't mention it, but the Production Camera does include a full copy of Davinci Resolve ($995 value), while the Pocket only includes the Lite (free) version. 

Now for the harsh realities of viewing and grading your 4K footage...unfortunately, to view full screen video out in 4K, you have to purchase their DeckLink 4K Extreme capture card at $995, which is overkill for a lot of people.  I'd like to see their $145 DeckLink Mini Monitor upgraded to 4K.  Also 4K 10 bit monitors are still up there in price, but I expect them to come down a lot.

Michael

I think the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera (that's the full name, right?) goes like BMPCC. So that's one more C thatn the Production Camera.
Actually I thought I was seeing wrong and my mind was closing the C. I think BMPCC is easier to difference on the spot than BMPO which at first sight might confuse some (or maybe just me) that it's written BMPC.

Well, I'm nitpicking, just saying since it's the first time ever I've read "BMPO" anywhere.

I was trying to keep them all to four letters, dammit! :D But I think BMPCC is probably better (and certainly used more), you win.

I'm curious about pulling stills from the motion, maybe as the stills compliment to a motion campaign.

Anyone think the stills will do the job or not be enough? I think you end up with an 8MP still.

We live somewhat in an acquisition world where we always look for more even if we don't need it, but 8MP is still low compared to stills cameras.

Any idea what MP you'd need for, say, a magazine image?