canon 600d/t3i + ML vs Nikon D5200

Shubhro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So on one hand is Canon 600d with comparetively inferior image quality but a boost in features due to ML/TL and an articulated screen. It is also considerably cheaper if i go for the model with single kit as dafreaking suggested(as it has 10x digital zoom).

On the other hand Nikon D5200 with better image quality but without convinient features. And the D3300 of course with 1080p/60fps.

i think another point to consider is which will give better image image quality with minimum amount of intervention in post. I am a newbie after all......

Totally agree with Danyyyel. After all the instrumentalist will matter more than the instrument.

The Panasonic G6.....hmmmm.....will have to check it out. Dafreak is right. Infact none of the Panasonic cameras are as readily available as a Canon or a Nikon.

Well! I think I got a lot of very valuable information and opinion. Thanks to all of you. Will let you know what I ultimately bought. :)

Okay just found out! The Panasonic G6 is for almost 1000 dollars in India. The GH3 of course is selling for around 1800. So both out of budget range. Would really like to get the Nikon D5200.....! Let me see if the price falls a bit with introduction of D5300 and D3300......

I would recommend you to look closely at the D3300. If it has the same image quality as the d5300, it should be your choice above the D5200. The absence of fix pattern noise would be a big upgrade. Neatvideo does a very good job of removing the FPN, but not having it in the first place would be better, even more so if you like to shoot with a flat profile.

And the ability to shoot 1080p/60fps....! Although not having an articulating screen is a problem. But then even a bmpcc does not have one. I will just wait for few reviews to come in......I read somewhere that the audio recording on the D5300  is pretty bad....lets find out about the D3300.......

There is no perfect camera. None of the camera you are looking at will have decent audio with the in-built mic. It will be much much better with an external mic like the Rode Video Mic or Video Mic pro but will never be professional.

The D5300 is just under double the price of the 600D. You are probably better off buying a 600D and Tamron 17-50/2.8 than a D5300. Will cost you the same,  Next buy a Rode Video Mic. Between 9K and 15K.

I was in the same boat as you mid last year. Lot of people told me to get the Nikon D5200 (the D5300 was not released as yet) I had a strict budget of 30K. Even though I could have borrowed some money and got the D5200 which was 8-10K more, it was never ending as then I could have spent double and got a something better. Magic Lantern really attracted me to the Canon. 

Do I wish I had chosen the Nikon? The though only crosses my mind when I have to film something in ultra low-light situations and because friends and relatives have Nikon glass. BUT. The usability of the Nikon compared to a ML Canon is quite sad for Run and Gun situations so I am happy with my choice.

One more question! Though not directly related to the topic of discussion but might influence the buying decision:

What i understand is that a combination of higher iso and a fast lens(say f1.4, 1.8, even 2.8) gives good results in low light shooting. But if there is a camera (e.g. D3300) which performs better in higher iso, then a kit lense which is slower can be used. Am i right?

Since i don't want to spend too much extra on lenses right now. This has also got to do with the fact that i dont want to commit to one particular camera family right at the start. I have also learnt that Nikon lenses can be adapted to a Canon body but not the other way round....am i right about all this?

Yeah. Most Nikons can be adapted to Canon, but beware of the newer Nikon G lenses as these have an electronic aperture control and there are very few (and expensive) adaptors that will make them work. The Canons can't be adapted to the Nikon due to the flange distance.

The Kit lens with the Canon has IS, but doesn't have a proper focus ring, which you need as you need to focus manually. It will just frustrate you. Just because it gives decent low light performance doesn't mean you should use the kit lens. use a Lens with atleast F 2.8 is low light situations. pushing the ISO too much will result in noise. 

Nikon lense is a much better solution to invest in as it has a mechanical aperture mechanism. So it is easy if you go into one of the mirror less or blackmagic camera to use them. I use a simple $ 30 adapter when I had my gh2 with my Nikon lens. For canon you have to use sophisticated and costly electronic system that can control the aperture. Another advantage is the lens becomes clickless and it is much better for video for smooth aperture change.

Personally for me their are two brand that should be avoided at all cost if you really care about image quality below $ 3000 and it is Canon and Sony. My first video was a Canon 7D in 2009, that was superseded by a gh2 about 1.5 years latter. I could never go back to the moire/alias riddled image of the 7d. I can live a bit with the lower resolution but the moire/aliasing, once you are use to a proper image, you can never go back. When you see it crawling in eyebrows etc The thing is that those two company will give you all type of things like fast autofocus (Canon 70D), peaking etc etc but in the end the image quality is still at the same level than the camera 5/7 years ago. They just want to protect their higher end camera like Canon C100 or Sony FS100.

The Nikon cameras can be discused at length, but the Nikon lens is surely one of the best to get for low cost filming because they can be adapted on nearly any format. So should you change camera system in video where autofocus is less used you can choose a whole set from zoom's to primes from more than half a century that will cover a vast range of focal length and can be had for very low price used. Most of them will also cover full frame.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Shubhro, even I am also in the same boat as you and I am also considering between the 600d, d3300, and the A58.

My Question to all the guys is why not buy the sony a58? Sure it has similar high iso image quality as the 600d but its actual image quality in daylight is better than the 600d and it provides:

Better Dynamic Range

Better color

Faster burst modes

In Built Stabilization (Can buy cheaper non stabilized lenses)

and best of all a high resolution electronic filter which will help you in both video as well as stills with full time phase detection auto focus.

coupled with an electronic viefinder, it provides much better feedback (I know some purists would strongly disagree, sorry!!) in a way that you can get results on the spot (your WB, Exposure, DOP, and the final frame!) and do not have to shoot, check, change settings and shoot again like you do in a conventional dslr to see if you have got your perfect picture.

Now I know that SLT's have been criticized for their loss of light and bad high iso shots and that they are marginally worse than the canons in this regard.

And since your main requirement will be video, IMHO the sony a58 might be better.

Now I know many of you would be against some of the thing I have mentioned here. Please I apologize in advance and do correct me since it will also help me in the coming time. Thanks.