Olympus E-M1 firmware update to address video mode - but will we get 24p and higher bitrates?

Andrew Reid

That website is complete bullshit. Every other link is affiliate stuffed. And if you buy anything within the cookie lifespan, they get a cut of the sale.

More visits = more clicks = more money.

Look how many websites are part of the network. They have every manufacturer covered. They post EVERYTHING to increase the amount of visitors.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't want higher resolutions or better codecs, the image is fine for most of us, I don't need anything, just the normal freaking frame rates. I mean, come on! You're sitting on a damn treasure that can change the entire way we shoot movies!

Yea if Olympus so much as adds 24/25p with a higher bitrate I'm going to grab an E-M1 off the grey market.

That website is complete bullshit. Every other link is affiliate stuffed. And if you buy anything within the cookie lifespan, they get a cut of the sale.

More visits = more clicks = more money.

Look how many websites are part of the network. They have every manufacturer covered. They post EVERYTHING to increase the amount of visitors.

New post says...

At last one of my long time trusted sources confirmed Olympus will launch a major E-M1 firmware update soon but he said that as long as he knows they will NOT add 4K video recording.

P.S.: I am actually surprised the previous new source was wrong on that rumor because I know he is a highly regarded man from the video world. Let’s see who is right but I will trust…trusted old time sources always more than new ones

Good thing we've got common sense and already knew that. I think this guy's 'new source' is whatever it is he smokes. :lol: <_<

Andrew already had some nice words on that:

And then of course, what this topic is about:

So, I got one anyways, because I'm into photography and the EVF is awesome and the controls (dials) are great. Of course the IBIS, peaking and what not. But in the end it shoots great still pictures and even the video is quite nice, but not being able to shoot 25p is a bit problematic over here in Europe... and recording 24p for that filmlook... not gonna happen. So that's something we really crave for. We've been wanting that for months! But we just get some minor upgrades that do pretty much do shit when it comes down to video. For now it's actually just a stills camera here. Haven't really used the videomode since my trip to Oslo, and that was months ago. The Panny's I have lying around just have much relaxter videomodes (and even though I wished I didn't have to turn the camera off and on to change frequency region on the GH4, atleast I can friggin' change it). ;)

I don't know whether an E-M5 firmware update is also in the offing, but it could certainly do with an updated codec. It's only 20 mbps and it breaks and turns to mud very easily. Kind of disgraceful for a 2012 camera that was $1000 or something when it first came out. It seems the E-M1 and 10 do a much better job in that regard. Regarding frame rates, I often just throw everything on a 24 fps timeline and retime it for 80% slow motion.

If you shoot at 1/50th for PAL regions, will the movement look weird when filming 30p? Especially after dropping it into a 25p timeline?

Most of the video above is a 1/50 shutter, 30 fps, in a 24p timeline, (with a bit of super slow optical flow in the middle). The reason why is that while the whole of Japan is NTSC, eastern Japan (including Tokyo) has 50hz electricity, so electric lights would strobe at 1/60. By mistake the shot of the flower shop is 1/60 (you can just make out the light source flickering, there's still quite a bit of daylight at this stage so it's not noticeable). The rest of it, certainly the night scenes under electric light, is 1/50. I can't tell the difference in terms of motion cadence between 1/50 and 1/60. I think the 180 degree shutter "rule" can be flexed a little bit!

• 5 months later...

I remember vividly 4K was rumored by that very site to be coming. Just to backpeddle on that stating the source however may not be that legit. Finally, it was taken back but things looked as if the video mode would be approved quite significantly... well, in the end all we got for video ironically was a dust & scratches filter... such a pity, the E-M1 is a dream of a camera in most aspects and I wouldn't require 'em to give us 4K at all, but we've yet to see 24 and 25p which kinda was anticipated by quite a few people... and perhaps they could squeeze a little bit more out of the sensor performance (bitrate/codec) wise. But I have a feeling they have a fear of being known for great video...