Olympus E-M1 firmware update to address video mode - but will we get 24p and higher bitrates?

Andrew Reid

I wonder if Panasonic and Olympus came to an agreement when m43 was created. In order to not step on each others toes, Panasonic went for more video-focused cameras, whilst Olympus aimed at the pure photography market.

I wouldn't be surprised, but why then do they want to improve the audio part of the E-M1? That only makes sense if they take video serious now, and want to improve. Otherwise they'd be wasting their resources now...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If this is gonna happen I get one for sure! C'mon Olympus! :)

I might condier one as well should there be more framerates and higher bitrates. Such features will cost Olympus allmost nothing. It's pretty straight foward really .. Improve couple of things and get 1-2 sold to me.. or do not improve and get nothing sold to me. ;)

That map is misleading, Brazil an Argentina use a PAL subcarrier over a NTSC frame size and frame rate. 

The thing is, enough of making cameras that are not world video capable, just like DVD regions, it is a fail.

Well done to Sony and more recently the Panasonic GH4.

T

I wouldn't rely on that really, technology can't change physics.

I wouldn't expect lenses to change much because, as you say, physics.

However, a sensors ability to read the photons landing on it, that's just going to get better and better.

High ISO with great color, no grain, @8k, and above? I could see that happening.

In the meantime, let's hope Olympus does indeed decide to throw the motion picture user market a bone with some informed choices on that firmware.

F-numbers refer to physical size of front lens opening vs. back lenses opening. A 24-70/1.8 on a full frame camera - would have to be twice as large as the Sigma only to meet f1.8, and then twice as large again because of the longer focal length. You'd end up with a 4 times as large and heavy brick of glass. These are laws of physics. The only reason Sigma could build the 18-35/1.8 is that it's made for an APS-C crop sensor. And this is no rocket science since 35mm cine zooms (for the same, roughly APS-C equivalent frame size) with f1.8 have been around for a long time.

But as I said before, this forum is degenerating into a cargo cult. In fact, it already has. It's almost comedy.

From the personal-view.com I found this some days ago, in the E-M1 topic:

- "the Olympus OM-D EM-1 contains a Panasonic 34231 (MN34230 die markings) CMOS Image Sensor with on-chip phase detection pixel array http://chipworks.force.com/catalog/ProductDetails?sku=OLY-E-M1_Pri-Camera "

- "This 34321 could not be found in the Panasonic's site. But the MN34230, yes:

http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-cgi/jvcr13pz.cgi?E+SC+4+CGA7001+MN34230+8+WW

And this is interesting: "Features 1080p/60fps, 4k2k/30fps" .............!

From the personal-view.com I found this some days ago, in the E-M1 topic:

- "the Olympus OM-D EM-1 contains a Panasonic 34231 (MN34230 die markings) CMOS Image Sensor with on-chip phase detection pixel array http://chipworks.force.com/catalog/ProductDetails?sku=OLY-E-M1_Pri-Camera "

- "This 34321 could not be found in the Panasonic's site. But the MN34230, yes:

http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-cgi/jvcr13pz.cgi?E+SC+4+CGA7001+MN34230+8+WW

And this is interesting: "Features 1080p/60fps, 4k2k/30fps" .............!

Just throwing out there that a sensor might be capable, but the rest of the internal components might not be able to handle it. I'm sure you could overclock a lot of cameras to get 4K recording, but the thing will burst into flames after a few moments. :P 

• Administrators

The Panasonic 4K capable sensor... rumour has it that this is present in the GX7, GM1 and Olympus OM-D E-M1 not just the 4K GH4. But the key thing is giving it enough processing power, faster SD card slot, cooler readout circuitry and avoiding other heat issues, plus a few more things I don't know of because I'm not a camera engineer!

So firmware updates for 4K are probably out on the other cameras despite the powerful sensor.

Well done Panasonic for making such a great follow up to their GH2 sensor and avoiding a Sony chip.

Dear Andrew,

first off, thank you for all the info you share. I purchased this wonderful camera based primarily on your reviews. I love the body, never owned an Olympus so getting used to its user interface. but love all the features it has. I'm primarily a filmmaker and i don't shoot much with my kit anymore, so i sold of my Canon DSLR to a friend and got this camera because its compact and weather proof, so i can take it with me on shoots and not just rely on my iphone. its perfect for that! But also great for handheld video. Any little gigs, free gigs i may do for friends, this camera will do the job, also will be using it for making hyperlapses (perfect size for that). The video features do need to step up for sure. I don't expect a revolution like you wrote but man wouldn't that be great! I would be happy with:

- better data rate,

- i-frame would be great.à

- 24p of course.

- Please have a proper peaking feature that we can use while filming video! This one is huge for me.

- Proper sound recording controls, much more important than the useless art video functions. 

- silent shutter possible? this would be great for doing timelapse in quiet areas, or in my hotel room while sleeping? I was surprised to discover they don't have this? I thought all mirrorless would have this.

Either way i bought the camera hoping this firmware update would be happening soon, so this is good news and i hope the news turns out to be great!

best,

jm

~

I wonder if Panasonic and Olympus came to an agreement when m43 was created. In order to not step on each others toes, Panasonic went for more video-focused cameras, whilst Olympus aimed at the pure photography market.

My thoughts exactly. Olympus definitely knows we want 25/24p. 100% sure they can do it technically speaking. Something is holding them back from actually doing it. Pretty sure this update wont bring other framerates/bitrates.

100% sure they can do it technically speaking. Something is holding them back from actually doing it. 

It may not be as easy as one would think.  When ML sets the EOS-M to 24fps to shoot RAW video, the display goes crazy in photo mode because the camera wants to show that at 30fps.  IN other words, Olympus my run all the video out through a 30fps timer.  It may be built into read only chips.  Firmware can only do so much.   It may be able to shoot in 24fps, but not display it, for example.  A lot of what these cameras do is "hard-wired" into CODEC and sensor IO chips.  Olympus has a further problem of corporate problems that probably don't help them in focusing in on their mirrorless cameras.

Currently running Canon C100's, and 5D3's however, I've got my eye on micro 4/3 size cameras, and just waiting to pull the trigger. If Olympus could get 24p and a great codec in place, this camera would be exactly what I am looking for right now. I'd probably add couple to my gear bag, as it would be ideal for situations that I want to keep a low profile in. Fingers crossed they are listening to this thread, as they are on to something great, and could really lead this segment of the industry if they are quick about it.

The Panasonic 4K capable sensor... rumour has it that this is present in the GX7, GM1 and Olympus OM-D E-M1 not just the 4K GH4. But the key thing is giving it enough processing power, faster SD card slot, cooler readout circuitry and avoiding other heat issues, plus a few more things I don't know of because I'm not a camera engineer!

So firmware updates for 4K are probably out on the other cameras despite the powerful sensor.

Well done Panasonic for making such a great follow up to their GH2 sensor and avoiding a Sony chip.

Panasonic (Europe) told me the sensor in the GH4 is based on the GH3 sensor (so probably Sony?) and that it's definately not the sensor that is published in the pdf on the Panasonic-site...

I had to sign up to add my approval to these requests. It looks like the perfect event camera for web video ...if the data rate was improved. An update to the Olympus OMD E-M10 also. The 3-axis is very useable. Even if I have to record sound separately.

I would like to comment on the TV-system map. Seldom had such a good old laugh. Writing here from Russia.. Comrades seriously... no one heard here of SECAM for at list 20 years... :D :D :D  People, we know that some westerners still think that bears are strolling in the streets of Moscow and we still shoot with laterna magica..or similar, BUT SECAM... please.. I beg you.. no one knows even how to spell it here propperly. Most of DOPs will think - its a kind of skin infection..

B) -"got SECAM man?" :o ..Oh god, shure not! I allways use condoms buddy!..

24p/25p/50i (sometimes even digital)

PAL-PAL-PAL...... ...PAL! :ph34r:

..Ok..with bears its true... i will ask one if he uses SECAM

30541_original.jpg?1370441798

By the way.. LOVE THIS FORUM and BLOG.. ;))